+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google's Eric Schmidt Really Wants Apple to Make Google Maps the Default iOS Maps App

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Google’s Eric Schmidt apparently still really wants Apple to use Google Maps as the default navigation application for iOS on the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. In a conference early
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Google Really Wants Apple to Make Google Maps the Default iOS Maps App

Google’s Eric Schmidt apparently still really wants Apple to use Google Maps as the default navigation application for iOS on the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. In a conference early Tuesday with AllThingsD, Schmidt had stated:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schmidt
    We would still really like them to use our maps. It would be easy for them to take the app in the store and put it as their basic one.
    With iOS 6, Apple turned to TomTom and others to create their own Maps application. Google released their own Google Maps application in the App Store in December of last year, which blew the iOS 5 and older version of Google Maps out of the water in terms of user interface and features. Google Maps is a free download in the App Store.

Schmidt feels that Apple could easily take the existing Google Maps application, which exists in Apple’s App Store for free, and make it the default Maps application in iOS like they had done in iOS 5 and earlier. Knowing Apple, this isn't likely to happen. Apple is taking steps to continually improve their own Maps application.

Even though Google Maps may not be getting the default Maps treatment on iOS any time soon, it’s still available for free in Apple’s App Store for anyone that wants to use it instead of Apple’s Maps.

Sources: CNET
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 04-16-2013 at 01:07 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I’ve notice when I’m using google maps, it’s not locally accurate. It can get you within a mile of the place you want to get to but apple maps is more accurate with local businesses around where I live. If they could only implement a speedometer it would be great!

Thanks

Yeah I'm sure they would, so they can put Apple in another corner somewhere in the future. Apple didn't just stop using Google maps simply because they felt like it. Google was not allowing basic features like turn-by-turn. Apple needs to continue where it's at with their maps and just keep improving it. Too little too late Schmidt...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    Yeah I'm sure they would, so they can put Apple in another corner somewhere in the future. Apple didn't just stop using Google maps simply because they felt like it. Google was not allowing basic features like turn-by-turn. Apple needs to continue where it's at with their maps and just keep improving it. Too little too late Schmidt...
    Apples' Maps are inferior to Google Maps. Apple intentionally replaced a high-quality map program with a crappy one, just to spite a business competitor. In the end, Apples' own customers are treated poorly by Apple themselves.

Well, most of us anyway.

My phone is Jailbroken and I use Browser Changer to make Google Maps my Default Maps program.

Screw Tim Cook.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
    Apples' Maps are inferior to Google Maps. Apple intentionally replaced a high-quality map program with a crappy one, just to spite a business competitor. In the end, Apples' own customers are treated poorly by Apple themselves.

Well, most of us anyway.

My phone is Jailbroken and I use Browser Changer to make Google Maps my Default Maps program.

Screw Tim Cook.
    You realize Google refused to license Apple with turn-by-turn navigation right?

If Apple didn't make the jump, Google would have had no reason to create the awesome Google Maps app you're using right now. The iOS 5 and earlier Maps application (Google Maps-powered) was inferior to both current choices.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 04-16-2013 at 01:46 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

brownlace (04-17-2013), kosher1 (04-16-2013), Norb (04-16-2013), vinaygoel2000 (04-17-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ABOSWORTH's Avatar
    Thanks

When it first came out, Apple maps sucked bad! I've found that it seems to be getting better now though. It's going to take some time for Apple maps to catch up to Google maps. I still prefer the free google maps app in the app store over the apple maps though. There is no way apple is going to go back to google maps after all the time and money they've spent on their own maps.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post

If Apple didn't make the jump, Google would have had no reason to create the awesome Google Maps app you're using right now. The iOS 5 and earlier Maps application (Google Maps-powered) was inferior to both current choices.
    I love Schmidt is trying to act like some good guy... he knows most average consumers don't know the facts so he is using that to his advantage.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is the most intelligent and informed response on this subject.

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5kylar's Avatar
    Thanks

Well as long as I have a maps app that works great I really don't care too much where it comes from and if it's embedded right into my iOS or not. I mean really, what's 2mins to go download an app? At the end of the day Apple's smart phones do the same as everything else and more if your not Jailed

iPhone? More like MyPhone TechnoUniversity's Avatar
    Thanks

Screw both of them! I use GPS Drive which is far better than both Apple and Google Map.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Google Maps is terrible. The Apple one is almost perfect (in my opinion). I've used both to get to the same place and Apple's was the only one able to get me there. If Google wants Apple back they should just work together on a new YouTube app that actually works properly.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PokemonDesigner For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (04-17-2013)

Thanks

Was not happy with the Google Maps on iOS 5 and couldn't understand why they wouldn't update them for things like TBT and being able to see multiple pins that I have dropped near one another.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I've had no problems with Apple's maps when navigating. I like the voice better than Google's and I like the look/feel better. The only thing I like about Google's app is it gives you the time/distance button in the bottom right for a searched item and a quick click to get there.

Thanks

I am amazed how so many people are blind to the point you just made.

Thanks

Stuck at work late at night, figured I'd do something productive.

What do you guys think?

Schmidt-Mega.jpg

Yes the Galaxy Mega is a real thing:
    http://gizmodo.com/5994357/samsungs-...zed-smartphone
    Last edited by Norb; 04-17-2013 at 03:06 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

If this app would let me attach a photo, I'd show how ugly Google Maps is in comparison to Apple Maps. Keep getting "you may not have permission to do this action".

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Stuck at work late at night, figured I'd do something productive.

What do you guys think?

Attachment 632857

Yes the Galaxy Mega is a real thing:
    Samsung's New Galaxy Mega: 6.3 Inches of Oversized Smartphone
    Ah yes, the Mega phone. Great for videos, pics and reading....might as well get a damn tablet if your gonna get something that big. The Note II is big enough and not bad. As far as the Schmidt pic, I would of gone with the head of Samsung and not Google, makes more sense to me. Unless it was a Nexus device.
    from my rooted Droid DNA

Thanks

Thank you Bouchard!!! Where are you from by the way?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Has Google realized that they haven't made an iPad version yet? Or have they?

iPhone? More like MyPhone KingRedmer's Avatar
    Thanks

All I know is google maps will reroute me when I miss a turn. Apple maps will reroute me back to where I missed the turn, and I can't stand that. Maybe there's a setting I don't know about.