+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Popular Mailbox E-mail Client No Longer Requiring Reservation System

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Popular Mailbox E-mail Client No Longer Requiring Reservation System

Any who have tried the popular Mailbox e-mail client for iOS have seen the screen above. Mailbox required you to grab a reservation and wait in line with hundreds of thousands of other users to use their application.

Following the recent update to the popular Mailbox e-mail client for iOS, Mailbox has Tuesday announced via their blog that they are lifting the reservation system today and giving everyone access to Mailbox as quickly as they can grab it from the App Store:

Quote Originally Posted by Mailbox Team
    Good news! Mailbox is now available without having to wait in line. After 10 weeks of around-the-clock hard work, our engineering team has scaled the Mailbox service to deliver over 100 million messages per day (and growing). We believe we can now confidently handle new users as they sign up, so we’ve pulled down the reservation system.

There’s also a new version of Mailbox in the App Store with lots of little bits of goodness, from faster swiping to smarter snoozes.

Thanks to our amazing users for the oodles of emails and tweets with valuable feedback — we’re so grateful you’ve taken the time to share your thoughts and help us track down issues.

We’ll continue to use your feedback to shape the product — together we’re making Mailbox better and better.
    According to Mailbox, their team has been working on scaling their service for the last 10 weeks and is now confident enough to release the application to the entire public without the need for long waits. This is a good thing, because the reservation system kept many people from even bothering with trying the new e-mail client since the waits were so long. Now without the reservation system, the company has a chance to have more people using their application.

Although Mailbox was acquired by Dropbox not too long ago, the team continues to promise that they will work on the Mailbox application for iOS to keep improving it and adding new features.

If you’re interested in grabbing Mailbox for iOS, you can get it from this link for free.

Sources: Mailbox

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well I'm still waiting on support for other email providers

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

the app is nice but has a few issues i don't like.

1) if i update my gmail inbox online and delete / move messages, i have a badge count of "1" even though no new messages have arrived;

2) instead of having a badge count of active conversations (which is pointless IMO) and using the traditional method of showing how many new e-mails I DO have, mailbox will always show a "1" regardless of how many new e-mails I receive.

3) other providers would be nice (I know this is being worked on)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Ok am I seriously missing something here? An app with a "waiting line" in order to use it? Do these developers just having trouble grasping the concept downloading files, that it makes no sense, and that it's an obvious attempt to take the idea of standing in line at a physical store or at the door of a building for entry. Please don't tell me it's about limited bandwidth or so, as apps are hosted by Apple for AppStore apps, and not by devs themselves. I would really like to hear one good reason why this existed at all. Thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alanjf View Post
    Ok am I seriously missing something here? An app with a "waiting line" in order to use it? Do these developers just having trouble grasping the concept downloading files, that it makes no sense, and that it's an obvious attempt to take the idea of standing in line at a physical store or at the door of a building for entry. Please don't tell me it's about limited bandwidth or so, as apps are hosted by Apple for AppStore apps, and not by devs themselves. I would really like to hear one good reason why this existed at all. Thanks.
    [Apple Servers][Mailbox Servers][Gmail Servers]

if you still need more explanation, ask.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyrek View Post
    [Apple Servers][Mailbox Servers][Gmail Servers]

if you still need more explanation, ask.
    So you specify what e-mail servers you want to use, is that what you're referring to? That isn't anything new, and it certainly wouldn't explain the need for such a reservation system. I can understand the "waiting in line" metaphor being used on sites like rapidshare where they want to make money for hosting files people to download, but when it comes to the AppStore, devs are making money from purchases already, and anything after the fact can be an in-app purchase, so why was this reservation system used at all?

Please forgive me, but in the past these sort of things were used as a vehicle to push inflated, if not totally fabricated stats, and other times it was because of the developer's complete lack of understanding of networking and application design. Not saying that either is true here though.