+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: This iOS 7 Concept Video is Cool, But Not Likely for Apple to Implement

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
We all have something that we want Apple to implement into iOS. Most of the things we want won’t see the light of day because that’s just the way Apple
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default This iOS 7 Concept Video is Cool, But Not Likely for Implementation

We all have something that we want Apple to implement into iOS. Most of the things we want won’t see the light of day because that’s just the way Apple rolls. On the other hand, the jailbreak community is very good at giving iOS users what they want, like the things demonstrated in this iOS 7 concept video:

For a mobile-friendly video link that works with our app, tap on the video link below:

YouTube Video

This concept video shows off some really neat ideas that we can only wish Apple will take notes from, but more likely, it will spark ideas for the jailbreak community. The first idea the video shows off is a new unlock animation and new folder implementation, which are fun, bounce, roll, and are not so boring.

You will also see how Notifications are handled directly from the application icons themselves, allowing the user to drag down to see the notifications within. When the user has seen the notifications within the application, the application icon badge turns from red to light blue.

The video goes on to show us Zephyr-like functionality, and a brand new App Switcher interface that includes a close all applications button that the user holds down until the progress bar reaches the other end of the screen. Most people like being able to close out of all the applications suspended in the device’s memory for the peace of mind, but since memory is handled automatically by iOS (whether it’s done well or not), this isn’t really a necessary feature – although it does look cool.

The video also demonstrates Status Bar toggles, which are used by tapping on elements in the Status Bar, which as the LTE toggle to switch to Wi-Fi and vice-versa, or tapping on the carrier name to enable Airplane Mode. Tapping on the time reveals the clock application, which would be a handy way to set alarms or see world times.

I think it would be awesome to have all of these features on my iOS devices. How do you feel about the features demonstrated in the video?

Sources: YouTube via iClarified

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Terrible in almost every way. First, the animation for opening a folder would be terrible on the vast majority of folders that only have, say, less than 5 icons. The icon drop-down menu example makes no sense because the sender names are the least useful bit of info and there isn't nearly enough room for the subject (or the typical length sender name, for that matter). There is no reason why a toggle for Airplane Mode needs to be more prominent than Bluetooth, data, and a host of other things. Having it there and having the toggle function activated/deactivated so easily without so much as a confirmation dialog can only cause constant problems and unintentional switches.

Lastly, I was just realizing the other day how Google's application management in ICS/JB fixes the problems I had closing apps in GB but encourages users who don't know better to force apps closed when it isn't necessary (already unloaded). I noticed that many users weren't treating it as a Most Recently Used list and were instead constantly managing apps to keep them closed. There is no option to close all and Apple's way to close individually is just enough to discourage needless closing of apps while still having the option for when one misbehaves. The screenshots that save when suspending an app and show when restoring it keep the actual behavior transparent to the user in a way that is wasted if the users keep routinely forcing all the apps to completely reinitialize. To give people such a prominent option is to encourage them to use it as if they are supposed to. They aren't.

Now, MMi: PLEASE stop customizing the YouTube video player in your links! You aren't embedding them. I'm sure most of us want the full page and know how to put it in TRUE full screen ourselves.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CZroe For This Useful Post:

*T* (04-14-2013), Airwaves182 (04-13-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Can't stop wAtching it lol. I fell inlove with it. It's so intuitive.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sean637 For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (04-13-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Wouldn't work
    It looks nice but the status bar tap toggles would be way too easy to turn your phone into airplane mode or turn your wifi off

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Good thing about JB scene is this all could happen on IOS6+

I wonder how the cool quick reply tweak is coming on?
    Apple are Control freaks we need to stop them before they take over the world!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone iH85CH001's Avatar
    Thanks

Pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by iphoneht1234 View Post
    It looks nice but the status bar tap toggles would be way too easy to turn your phone into airplane mode or turn your wifi off
    Yeah that was the only part i didnt like either. But if they put something like sbsettings that would be cool.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice. but did take time to kill all the apps

Quote Originally Posted by sean637 View Post
    Can't stop wAtching it lol. I fell inlove with it. It's so intuitive.
    Nuts how people could come up with great concept vids. But apple keeps pushing the not so impressing thing out every year. Hopefully iOS 7 will be a great update.
    Last edited by mlee19841; 04-13-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Thanks
    Excellent!!! Keeping my fingers crossed for this to happen or at in a jailbreak tweak.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

It's actually not bad compared to the most of them surfacing. I'd like to see that more than most of the others. Too bad apple will probably never do it.

Thanks

The first iOS 7 concept is probably the closest to what apple would implement. People don't understand that there are tons of customers who barely know how to work an iPhone. This concept is way too complicated for those users.

Thanks

The concepts are cool, but this is iOS, it is based on OS X, i don't think apple will change the overall experience of iOS as long as OS X is still around.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    Terrible in almost every way.
    Oh right, I really liked it. The folder animation I thought was cool and maybe could dynamically size/shape itself depending on what else is on the screen too?
    The bit with the Gmail icon - great.

Thanks
    wow... everything is great in this video, extremely the function of closing all apps

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Now this would truly be an upgrade.
    This would virtually eliminate JB for basic
    utilities as well as help make using iPhone
    much faster. Thumbs up. I hope it can
    and will be done as it seems Apple is starting
    to slide away from being top dog.
    I want these thing and bet many others
    would enjoy ease of use as well.
    Dr Joepa

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

This is news?

The folder is a rip-off of barrel, which I uninstalled because all it does is provide an overwhelming distraction that slows down productivity.

The status bar should absolutely not be used for toggling wifi, bluetooth, etc. It's too small to accurately touch for a good chunk of iPhone users.

The icon drop down being used to display the inbox? It would be impossibly small and not useful information could be displayed in so tiny a space.

The only useful element was the Zephyr clone.

It's sad that so many think that overly complex and useless animations make an OS good. Apple would never release any of this stuff (except the stuff stolen from Zephyr). iOS should be elegant. Almost everything in this video is the kind of crap that you would only find in an Android skin.

And finally, this video is nothing more than fan art. It should be treated as such.