+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon CEO Claims He Persuaded Steve Jobs on the Idea of an LTE iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Verizon CEO Claims He Persuaded Steve Jobs on the Idea of an LTE iPhone

While speaking at the NAB conference, Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam claims he was the one who suggested adding 4G LTE capabilities to the iPhone shortly after the iPhone 4 was released. As reported by Fierce Wireless, the Verizon chief said he pitched the protocol to Jobs, who apparently liked the idea of high-speed access for the iPhone. McAdams mentioned the following:

I was really trying to sell him and he sat there without any reaction. Finally, he said, ‘Enough. You had me at 10 Mbps. I know you can stream video at 10 Mbps.’ And Apple’s next phone was LTE.
    The timeline is actually a little off in the executive’s recounting of the tale as Jobs passed away on October 5, 2011 which was one day after the iPhone 4S was unveiled. McAdams is likely referring to the iPhone 5, however as the 4S offered only HSPA+ connectivity.

At the time, U.S. wireless technology was moving toward 4G with Verizon banking on long-term evolution, or LTE, as the telecom built out its advanced network. All major carriers now leverage the wireless standard to provide fast data transmissions to Apple’s latest products such as the iPhone 5 and the current iPad lineup.

It was recently reported that AT&T would be extending its LTE coverage to 79 new markets with the rollout scheduled to complete this summer. T-Mobile was also the last of the “big four” U.S. telecoms to become an Apple partner carrier, has also jumped onboard when it comes to activating its own 4G LTE network in March, ahead of the company’s iPhone launch this upcoming Friday.

Source: Fierce Wireless via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

30mbps should satisfy consumers for a while on mobile devices. Now if only we could get gigabit speeds to home users.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,646 Times in 691 Posts

BS!!!!! Apple/Steve would have made a LTE iPhone even without someone telling them"hey you should make a LTE iPhone" Who in there right mind is going to make a top end phone and not put LTE in it when everyone else was starting too? Common sense!!!! Geezzz!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,056 Times in 924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    BS!!!!! Apple/Steve would have made a LTE iPhone even without someone telling them"hey you should make a LTE iPhone" Who in there right mind is going to make a top end phone and not put LTE in it when everyone else was starting too? Common sense!!!! Geezzz!!!!
    +1
    Even us MMI members were thinking the iPhone 4 might have 4G. This Verizon CEO is just trying to look like he innovated something! LOL!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Ok good. What does he want a cookie?

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OceanMindedBoy View Post
    Ok good. What does he want a cookie?
    +1

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What a bunch of BS from the VCEO. LTE has been around since 2009 and was already something people were talking about when the iPhone 3GS came out (expecting it on the 4 which disappointed). Steve wanted it there but knew it was too power-hungry and it was pushed back. Steve made it clear that's why LTE didn't roll out earlier.

These carrier CEO's are trash.

iPhone? More like MyPhone holyshnikes's Avatar
    Thanks

You're right. The Apple engineers would have put it together. I'm sure they toyed with the idea of LTE before the release of the 4S. But honestly, 4G wasn't as big or as widespread then. Apple would have put out a product that not everyone could use. That's not like them to do.

Thanks

I told Steve Jobs to put the retina display in an iPad.

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    I told Steve Jobs to put the retina display in an iPad.
    Well I told him to put a camera on the iPod...

Green Apple
    Thanks

This reminds me of those windows commercials where the users say "I designed the new windows."

Thanks

Agreed! Its natural progression.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
    You're right. The Apple engineers would have put it together. I'm sure they toyed with the idea of LTE before the release of the 4S. But honestly, 4G wasn't as big or as widespread then. Apple would have put out a product that not everyone could use. That's not like them to do.
    Apple is also know to not put the most current tech in a device till its more refined and power efficient. That's why the original iPhone only had edge and not 3G.

Thanks

Exactly. This verizon guy is either grossly exaggerating the story or this conversation never happened. People were upset when then iPhone 4 and 4S didn't have LTE. Who honestly thinks Jobs would have left it out of the 5?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UrghArgh View Post
    The answer to your question,"Who in there right mind is going to make a top end phone and not put LTE in it when everyone else was starting too[sic]?", is simple: the same company that made a top end phone and didn't put MMS in when everybody else already was. Steve Jobs could rarely have been described as "in his right mind".
    The lack of MMS was a carrier setting from AT&T. Not a missing capability of the phone. Not being LTE capable would be a hardware issue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UrghArgh View Post
    The reason the feature was missing is irrelevant. The fact is that the iPhone, a high-end smartphone, lacked features that other phones, including low-end dumbphones, already had for many years prior. You're blaming AT&T, but the fact is that if Apple wanted the iPhone to have MMS from the beginning, it would have. Apple has never had qualms about throwing around its weight to get what it wants out of its partners and vendors.
    There are other features that the carriers limited, not Apple. Such as, 10mb cap download from the App Store or FaceTime on wifi only. Why would Apple care if someone used more data on the network. Fact is it was AT&T who cared and wanted those restrictions.