+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Supposedly Excluded from Development of Apple's Next-Gen "A7" Chip

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Samsung Supposedly Excluded from Development of Apple's Next-Gen "A7" Chip

As the competition between Apple and Samsung continues to rise, the Cupertino California company has led to Samsung being cut out of the development process of Apple’s next-generation custom chips for the iPhone and iPad according to a new report from The Korea Times. Apple’s so-called “A7” processor will debut in the first half of 2014 and development for the chip is being speculated as underway. Samsung is said to not be a part of the development process as Apple has apparently turned to Taiwan Semiconductor Co. for assistance instead.

Apple has been using custom designs for its iPhone and iPad chips for years but to date the production of those chips has been handled entirely by Samsung. Rumors have continually persisted that Apple plans to cut Samsung out of its chipmaking business but Apple’s latest iPhone and iPad models still feature chips built by the Korean electronics manufacturer.

As of right now, Samsung is said to be planning to grow its business partnerships with Nvidia in an effort to offset any losses that it will experience in the departure of Apple as a customer. The chipmaking division at Samsung is also expected to see growth from the sale of Samsung’s own Galaxy handsets, which use custom Exynos-branded ARM chips. This includes the flagship Galaxy S4 which is set to debut this month.

The recent report is just the latest in a series of claims that Apple is planning to make a shift in the near future to TSMC for its mobile chip production instead of sticking with Samsung. Although such rumors have persisted for years, Samsung continues to benefit from intact partnerships with Apple. It should also be noted that the naming conventions cited in the rumors suggest that Apple’s anticipated 2013 iPhone model, the so-called “iPhone 5S,” will not feature a full-fledged next-generation “A7” processor.

As usual though, the rumors are all speculation and we won’t know until something more concrete is released.

Source: The Korea Times

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Akshay Masand For This Useful Post:

Mohd Azlan (04-10-2013)

Banned
    Thanks

until there are production issues then comes apple crawling back to Samsung.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Right... and when I run into a problem in life I simply shoot myself in the face.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Norb For This Useful Post:

Mohit555 (04-11-2013)

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,409 Times in 6,005 Posts

Damn, how will Samsung steal from apple now?
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

slim.jim (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norb View Post
    right... And when i run into a problem in life i simply shoot myself in the face.
    hahahahaha!!!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    There are other competent chip manufacturers. Just because Samsung is a major name it doesn't mean they're the only company with the capacity to mass produce a A7 chip.

Thanks

Its a tough battle. Samsung does make some decent hardware for Apple. Hard to find a competitor that can keep up with the demand. Apple always seems to have multiple options.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Its a tough battle. Samsung does make some decent hardware for Apple. Hard to find a competitor that can keep up with the demand. Apple always seems to have multiple options.
    Absolutely agree, but you would not invite someone to your home who repeatedly robs you each time, simply because they tell good jokes.

At least I hope not...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Norb For This Useful Post:

Mohit555 (04-11-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    Right... and when I run into a problem in life I simply shoot myself in the face.
    Hahahahahahaha

Absolutely agree, but you would not invite someone to your home who repeatedly robs you each time, simply because they tell good jokes.

At least I hope not...
    Dude are u a stoner? Your analogies rock which usually are developed by stoners!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mohit555 For This Useful Post:

Norb (04-11-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mohit555 View Post
    Hahahahahahaha

Dude are u a stoner? Your analogies rock which usually are developed by stoners!
    Haha never been complimented by being called a stoner...

Either way, no... I've smoked a loonnng time ago and it was pretty light but it's been over 10 years i think.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Haha never been complimented by being called a stoner...

Either way, no... I've smoked a loonnng time ago and it was pretty light but it's been over 10 years i think.
    Well then you have an amazing sense of humor.
    I read the article, then that anti apple comment then yours..! I choked on water!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mohit555 View Post
    Wow, TIL making "good" analogies makes you a "stoner"
    from my rooted Droid DNA