+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: T-Mobile Announces Trade-In Program to Help Sway Consumers to Its Network

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default T-Mobile Announces Trade-In Program to Help Sway Consumers to Its Network

Shortly before debuting the iPhone 5 on its network later this week, T-Mobile recently announced the start of a trade-in program that offers current iPhone owners a chance to grab the latest Apple handset at no upfront cost and a $120 credit to put toward the “un-carrier’s” monthly device fee. The announcement comes within a week of T-Mobile beginning to accept pre-orders for the iPhone 5 ahead of the device’s official launch date this Friday.

As noted by The New York Times, outside of the special offer, T-Mobile will be selling the 16 GB iPhone 5 for $100 with a $20-per month charge spread over the next two years covering the remaining device cost. As part of its “un-carrier” campaign, the carrier is doing away with device subsidies in exchange for lower monthly fees. According to T-Mobile marketing chief, Mike Sievert:

Our message to iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 customers is simple: bring in your device and trade up to iPhone 5 on T-Mobile. We're making it incredibly attractive to buy an iPhone 5 by pairing an un-beatable upfront price and trade-in offer with Simple Choice, the most hassle-free and affordable rate plan in wireless.
    The carrier will be rolling out the handset on April 12, this upcoming Friday, while the trade-in program is set to expire on June 16.

Will any of you be trading in and moving to T-Mobile as a carrier?

Source: The New York Times

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone shigh's Avatar
    Thanks

I feel it would be foolish to do this now with the next phone release (possibly,rumored) here soon.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sounds like a great deal, but I'll prob wait until the Iphone 5s comes out. That is if t-mobile will be getting the Iphone 5s. What would be the point of get the Iphone 5 now and maybe three months from now the Iphone 5s comes out. I think I'll wait for awhile. I'm already with t-mobile with my Iphone 4. I think I can hold out for a couple more months.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ecofrankenstein's Avatar
    Thanks

I would be interested if this also applied for the iPhone 5S. Then again, I feel the "-S series" is just a ripoff.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koreandude82 View Post
    Sounds like a great deal, but I'll prob wait until the Iphone 5s comes out. That is if t-mobile will be getting the Iphone 5s. What would be the point of get the Iphone 5 now and maybe three months from now the Iphone 5s comes out. I think I'll wait for awhile. I'm already with t-mobile with my Iphone 4. I think I can hold out for a couple more months.
    Might be a good deal for some I have the I phone 5 but will probably hold off on the 5 s to upgrade to the I phone 6 or what ever Apple will call it .

My iPhone is a Part of Me Cmds187's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ecofrankenstein View Post
    I would be interested if this also applied for the iPhone 5S. Then again, I feel the "-S series" is just a ripoff.
    Yes

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

T-n00bile, all bright Apple eyed and bushy tailed. LOL, they don't know what they are in for...
    They should talk to Sprint. Oh, and that phone serial number blocking system won't help!

Welcome to the iJungle Pink Lady...
    Last edited by Lohand; 04-10-2013 at 01:05 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hmm, another site spelled out that there still is the monthly phone fee to pay off the phone. Ok, so this is just an offer to reduce the up-front cost down to $0. Ok, I get it now.
    Last edited by choekstr; 04-10-2013 at 09:31 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is anyone else questioning the end of this program being June 16th? Is it a sign of approximately when they expect the 5s to be released? Things that make you go Hmmmmm......

10. The Following User Says Thank You to filabeaner For This Useful Post:

ecofrankenstein (04-10-2013)

Thanks

If I understand correctly, if you trade your iPhone 4, you get it "free" + monthly payments. So you are essentially saving $99, but have to pay the $20/mo x 24 months. How is this a good deal? You can sell the iPhone 4 outright for more than $99.

They also offer $120 credit based on condition of phone. My guess is that the 4S users will get $120 credit. So the total savings will be $219 ($99 + $120). Again a raw deal.

Thanks

I always find it amazing how people whine and complain about "oh but the newer iPhone is coming out in X amount of time, why would I buy this phone when I can wait 3 months?" Seriously? Like you can't be happy with a iPhone 5 even though a 5S might be 3 months away? Like your iPhone experience is going to be so much more fiercer with a 5S than a 5? People never cease to amaze me online anymore...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lohand View Post
    T-n00bile, all bright Apple eyed and bushy tailed. LOL, they don't know what their in for...
    They should talk to Sprint. Oh, and that phone serial number blocking system won't help!

Welcome to the iJungle Pink Lady...
    *they're

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    *they're
    Good catch ;^). Thx...

Thanks
    I have an iPhone 5 running on T-Mobile right now. I just updated my carrier settings when T-Mobile pushed the OTA/iTunes .ipcc file that updated my baseband. Now I have speedy fast 4G all over the place, instead of that crappy 3G/edge us unlocked iPhone T-Mobile customers had to deal with for some time. And LTE will be pushing out to my area hopefully soon (atleast within 2013). I get download speeds of 15 Mbps and upload speeds of 5Mbps with 4G!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to e10100 For This Useful Post:

ecofrankenstein (04-10-2013)

Thanks

I'm thrilled that T-mobile is official now .. I've been a loyal customer for a long long time.. When the 1st gen iPhone came out I was so anxious to try it after not being happy with the side kick or any of the other "smart phones" ... I ditched T-Mobile and paid the early termination fee and went to ATT .. hated ATT so much that I cancelled and paid ANOTHER termination fee as soon as the first jailbreak/unlock came out! .. T-mobile took me back and not only PAID my ATT disconnect fee, but let me back into my previous contract which only had a few more months on it.

I've heard some bad stories about T-mobile support but I've had nothing but great experience with them.. I'm a knowledgeable guy who's a programmer, linux admin.. etc.. I rarely need support, but when I do I always had it .. the only time they failed me was when I couldn't get imessage to work and everything I read said "call your carrier" .. the support team just wasn't prepared to help me.. but they tried and tried.

Ended up something I fixed by editing a plist file on the device.. not something they could have fixed anyway...

Now that I have "4g" and I'm off edge, and have visual voicemail.. I'm VERY glad I stayed... contract free, grandfathered on a truly unlimited account.. I get great coverage here in my part of Ohio.. I'm getting just shy of 10mb downloads.

Thanks

Where part of Ohio? I ask because my service since the update has been iffy. I'm in Columbus. I don't know if that has something to do with it or not. Also been a T-Mobile customer for a long time and never had a problem with service or support.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'm considering switching over from AT&T. My bill is $235ish for 4 lines, 3 iPhone's. 3GB data vs T-Mobile's fully unlimited for $180/4lines sounds like a pretty good deal to me. iPhone 5 is more than enough "phone power" for anyone. It's overkill to always buy the next iPhone yearly. You just can't keep up sometimes, and its not even necessary honestly. I can get 4 i5's and pay $180/monthly unlimited everything. Sell my current iPhone 5's and make a few grand. Choices choices..

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Answer1o1 For This Useful Post:

ecofrankenstein (04-12-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Answer1o1 View Post
    I'm considering switching over from AT&T. My bill is $235ish for 4 lines, 3 iPhone's. 3GB data vs T-Mobile's fully unlimited for $180/4lines sounds like a pretty good deal to me. iPhone 5 is more than enough "phone power" for anyone. It's overkill to always buy the next iPhone yearly. You just can't keep up sometimes, and its not even necessary honestly. I can get 4 i5's and pay $180/monthly unlimited everything. Sell my current iPhone 5's and make a few grand. Choices choices..
    I would make that switch in a heartbeat.