+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Smells Like Teen Spirit for Apple's iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Teenagers dig the iPhone. That's the general consensus determined by a new study spearheaded by Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster, who uncovered that teens have a very high opinion of iOS
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Smells Like Teen Spirit for Apple's iPhone

Teenagers dig the iPhone. That's the general consensus determined by a new study spearheaded by Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster, who uncovered that teens have a very high opinion of iOS devices. As a result, that bodes well for the future of Apple device sales among teenagers.

91% of teens, the study finds, are likely to purchase a smartphone for their next device, up from 86% last spring and 90% last fall. iOS maintained its lead over Android with teens choosing it as the most desired operating system, the report reads.

Just 21% are likely to buy an Android device today.

As of the study's publication, 48% of teens presently own an iPhone, which is up from 40% last fall. As for the prospective teenage smartphone buyers out there, 62% intend to buy an iPhone next.

To review the comprehensive new report in full, click here.

Source: Piper Jaffray

Thanks

But how many of them are hand me down iPhones, that parents give to there teens I wonder?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brick James View Post
    But how many of them are hand me down iPhones, that parents give to there teens I wonder?
    Just as many as android hand me downs from parents.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stolenpentium For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (04-10-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5kylar's Avatar
    Thanks

Makes sense. Most teenagers have iPods at early ages, so the iOS is already familiar by the time they need a phone. I'm 19 and I love apple over any other mobile platform. Jailbreaking is by far the best aspect. You can't get bored with your phone cuz you can just apply a new theme and bam you got a new phone basically
    iPhone 5c - iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken

iPhone? More like MyPhone sharp2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow! I didn't know teens have so much money these days! I just thought that they whine and beg their parents to get them an iPhone because their friends have it.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sharp2G For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (04-10-2013), Tperry (04-10-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me gdd2010's Avatar
    in a barred spiral galaxy on the Cepheus-Draco border
    Thanks

"91% of teens, the study finds, are likely to purchase a smartphone for their next device,"
    Should say: "91% of teens, the study finds, are likely to NAG and WINGE for their PARENTS to buy them their next iPhone...."
    I am a parent and see this with others as well. Nothing but hand me downs for my kids. They get what they need first, then what they want second.
    For those teens who are not like this, I applaud you. You are more adult than your "whiny" counterparts. And for that, this post does not apply to you.
    Last edited by gdd2010; 04-09-2013 at 07:34 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gdd2010 For This Useful Post:

Tperry (04-10-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5kylar's Avatar
    Thanks

So for the record I didn't wine or B**** at my parents to get my iPhone or anything I own for that matter. I don't talk to either of them anymore for various reasons of my own, but I'm just putting it out there that not every younger person has to cry to their mom and dad to achieve things. Granted many do, yes, but there are still people out there not dependent on anyone and get s*** done
    iPhone 5c - iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Doesn't matter. Most likely, teens are going to get the free phone from carriers. Probably not going to be many handle downs if they're able to get a free phone for their first phone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me gdd2010's Avatar
    in a barred spiral galaxy on the Cepheus-Draco border
    Thanks

For that, I applaud you. You are the minority in that you are determined to be independent and are not a brat like many who are.
    It is unfortunate, however, a vast majority are as I posted earlier. For those who are not whiny and spoiled, I apologize if the post offends.
    Last edited by gdd2010; 04-09-2013 at 07:34 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ecofrankenstein's Avatar
    Thanks

Or those teen's parents actually did something with their lives and became successful in their chosen careers. There's nothing wrong with your parents having money and being able to afford anything you want. It's the best example to make you want to be successful like they are.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ecofrankenstein View Post
    Or those teen's parents actually did something with their lives and became successful in their chosen careers. There's nothing wrong with your parents having money and being able to afford anything you want. It's the best example to make you want to be successful like they are.
    I disagree to that statement that kids will become successful if there parents but them whatever they want. But to each his own opinion.

Thanks

And how many of those percentages are those jail broken iPhones? Lol

Thanks

--

Quote Originally Posted by gdd2010 View Post
    "91% of teens, the study finds, are likely to purchase a smartphone for their next device,"
    Should say: "91% of teens, the study finds, are likely to NAG and WINGE for their PARENTS to buy them their next iPhone...."
    I am a parent and see this with others as well. Nothing but hand me downs for my kids. They get what they need first, then what they want second.
    For those teens who are not like this, I applaud you. You are more adult than your "whiny" counterparts. And for that, this post does not apply to you.
    Yes this is true, I know a lot of people (teens) that ask their parents for everything and they end up getting what they want like my friend who asked for a truck and got a truck brand new, and then she asked for a MacBook Pro and her parents bought her a MacBook Pro. I am also a teen 16 years of age in fact but I did not ask for my iPhone my grandparents wanted to get me something for christmas and I didn't want anything, so they decided to just get me a new phone but I also use my phone a lot for college and to help with my school work. But the point is that teens do whine and end up getting things.
    Last edited by Paswrd; 04-09-2013 at 10:34 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with this, I have a job, work 5 days a week and I'm only 17. But my mom still affords to buy me the new iPhone, I don't whine and beg, I just work hard in school to get good grades, and have a job outside of school, I understand the value of money, but just because my mom has a very successful career, doesn't mean she's not allowed to give me nice things I want.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fanboyfanboy For This Useful Post:

ecofrankenstein (04-10-2013), vinaygoel2000 (04-10-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ecofrankenstein's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    I disagree to that statement that kids will become successful if there parents but them whatever they want. But to each his own opinion.
    I meant that if your parents are successful, they can afford to buy you anything you want. Thus, showing you exactly how well and comfortable your life can be if you excel in school and become successful.

People complain about their kids "whining", but it's not the kid's fault that the parent doesn't have more money. Just saying, don't blame your kids for wanting better things.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Kids know a good product when they see it mainly because the are introduced to computer devices at such a young age unlike when I was in school and cellphones were a giant boat anchor.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Lucky teens today, when I was a teen all I had was a beeper!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

iphone 4s and iphone 5 is the all in hand with the new trends and technology
    i am Eliz iphone app developer at Fusion Informatics Ltd.
    http://jtd.la/elizbarrymore

Thanks

I meant that if your parents are successful, they can afford to buy you anything you want. Thus, showing you exactly how well and comfortable your life can be if you excel in school and become successful.

People complain about their kids "whining", but it's not the kid's fault that the parent doesn't have more money. Just saying, don't blame your kids for wanting better things.
    As a parent with money, I don't put up with my kid's whining either. Sounds like you assume there's a direct correlation between 'kids whining' and 'wanting better things'. 'Whining' is an unacceptable behavior if the kid in question is over 5 years old. Bad parenting is, in my opinion, one of the biggest causes of problems facing kids. Our wonderful consumer driven, media hyped lifestyles pitch all the fun and none of the responsibility (except for alcohol ads on TV which remind us to 'drink responsibly'). Parents that shouldn't even have kids because they have ZERO desire to be responsible, productive parents -- and this crosses age, income and ethnic lines.

I wonder it there's an app for that...
    Last edited by quidam_brujah; 04-10-2013 at 12:09 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to quidam_brujah For This Useful Post:

ecofrankenstein (04-10-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

None to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick James View Post
    None to be honest. Usually it's the other way around.