+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report: iPhone 5S Models Will Offer Minimum of Two Screen Sizes

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by ABOSWORTH Doesn't the fragmentation issue come up because of iPad and iPhone being different sizes already? It does. That's why you see apps specifically made for iPad.
    My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
    Doesn't the fragmentation issue come up because of iPad and iPhone being different sizes already?
    It does. That's why you see apps specifically made for iPad. If this rumor is true, we will see apps for iPhone 4/4S, apps for iPhone 5/5S-1, for iPhone 5S-2, iPad and iPad mini. So each app would have to have 5 variations. Not a big deal as each app now has 4 variations anyway.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If they offer a phone with a screen comparable in size to the S3, I'll stay with iPhone.
    I'm staying regardless (don't care for Android), but a 4.5 to 4.8 screen size would get me to upgrade rather than wait till the 6 or 6S.

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    God I hope not!!! We don't need Android's fragmentation problem!
    Quote Originally Posted by nienque View Post
    Developers would have to make graphics suited to different screen sizes and qualities. So special images for non-retina iPhone, for retina iPhone and for iPhone 5. Add another different screen size and it might require developers to make even more custom images. Lots of my apps haven't even been adapted for iPhone 5 yet, and it's been like half a year.

Though Apple is Apple, I suppose, and if they really want to release a jumbo phone, I doubt this issue is going to stop them But I, personally, see little need.
    Oh boo hoo developers. Developing for multiple screen sizes/resolutions has been the name of the game for PC's for years. I'm not buying that as too big of a hinderance. The real fragmentation problem is dozens of different hardware configurations/UI overlays, which Android has in spades. There's no real fragmentation of iOS devices due to screen size, and there are only a limited number of hardware configurations supported. iOS fragmentation isn't an issue. Get me a Galaxy-sized screen already, Apple.
    Last edited by claustin; 04-09-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    God I hope not!!! We don't need Android's fragmentation problem!
    I was waiting for this....iOS is MORE fragmented than Android.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,895 Times in 6,514 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Troll

You have iph5, iPad hmmmm not quite 5 and definitely not more than hemroid.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (04-09-2013)

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Lets not feed him mmmmkay

Banned
    Thanks

Would someone mind explaining the "fragmentation" issue that might arise if they offer different sizes? I don't really understand what that is about.
    fragmentation is an often misused and overused term. most people don't even know what real fragmentation is. many iFans try to scare you away from Android and its "fragmentation" nonsense but recent studies have shown iOS to be more fragmented than Android, iOS less stable and less secure than Android and apps on iOS crash something like 7 times more often on iOS than Android.

on iOS, not all phones can run the latest version of iOS = fragmentation
    iPhones on some carriers cannot do simultaneous voice and data whereas iPhones on other carriers can = fragmentation
    most apps in the app store are not optimized for the 4" screen on the iPhone 5, they have a black bar across the top and bottom = fragmentation
    the iPhone 4 is the same as the 4S but the 4 cannot run Siri (which is an app)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well that's certainly a compelling argument. Any actual instances where this could possibly be true? Maybe the fact that manufacturer UI skins DON'T cause severe delays in getting OS updates out to their phone (they do) or the fact that the myriad of hardware/OS configurations don't make developing for Android a nightmare compaired to iOS (they do). Not to mention that iOS updates are handled by Apple and not required to go through the ridiculous internal carrier testing before they are pushed out to the few devices they are compatible with (not counting the delays from manufacturers having to update their custom UI's for every release). Please tell me how iOS is more fragmented than Android. Note I didn't even mention the glut of screen resolutions and sizes on Android devices (which like I said is just the nature of the beast and has been forever in digital era). If resolution "fragmentation" was an issue, nobody would develop for Android.

you got your reply in before me. Anyway here goes: Android is NOT more secure than iOS and couldn't ever hope to be because of it "open" nature. Don't get me wrong, I wish Apple would spend a little more time on new features than on restricting jailbreak, but that's besides the point. Apple has what, 6 devices currently supported for current iOS updates? Anything older than the iP4 doesn't count. You can't support everything forever. Android has dozens to account for. From what you said, every currently sold Android device out there supports their latest OS version. What is it? Jelly Belly 4.2? Which has an embarrassing installed user base compaired to older iterations and I bet it's even more drastic on devices even a year old. My guess is whatever study you're referencing was either flawed, hopelessly biased, or just plain doesn't exist.
    Last edited by claustin; 04-09-2013 at 06:19 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to claustin For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (04-09-2013)

Thanks

Doesn't the fragmentation issue come up because of iPad and iPhone being different sizes already?
    Yeah, not to mention the various iPhone differences (retina, non-retina, iPhone 5). Still not too bad compared to Android, I think, though that's fragmented also due to there being so many different phones having vastly different specs beside just the screen size.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,148 Times in 4,593 Posts

fragmentation is an often misused and overused term. most people don't even know what real fragmentation is. many iFans try to scare you away from Android and its "fragmentation" nonsense but recent studies have shown iOS to be more fragmented than Android, iOS less stable and less secure than Android and apps on iOS crash something like 7 times more often on iOS than Android.
    This is pure and utter nonsense. Provide a source for your claims or don't waste the bandwidth here.

on iOS, not all phones can run the latest version of iOS = fragmentation
    Again - pure nonsense. The only time one phone has to have a different version is for something unique to Verizon or Sprint, or whatever. Androids model, simply by design, creates great fragmentation than Apple. Apple are such control freaks - one size fits all in their thinking BECAUSE they want every person to have the SAME - GREAT - experience. Even if we wish they'd leave us alone and have our own UNIQUE experience. The whole ANDROID revolution came in RESPONSE to too much control by Apple. But with 'options' also came fragmentation. It's a very simple math equation, Jon. So back to school and relearn simple arithmetic. Sheesh.
    iPhones on some carriers cannot do simultaneous voice and data whereas iPhones on other carriers can = fragmentation
    Please learn the definition of 'fragementation'. You clearly don't get it.
    most apps in the app store are not optimized for the 4" screen on the iPhone 5, they have a black bar across the top and bottom = fragmentation
    ...says the guy that doesn't even own an Apple phone.. LOL!!!!!! So lame.

the iPhone 4 is the same as the 4S but the 4 cannot run Siri (which is an app)
    Nice try - but your point failed - even more so when compared to the Android level of true fragmentation. And Androids attempts to NOT fragment lessen quality as they just 'stretch' graphics to make it fit on one screen or the next. So even if it were true that Android, in the final analysis had less fragmentation (which they don't) - it came at the price of quality in the GUI and graphics in general.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

ohthatguyagain (04-10-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default You said it right!
    Quote Originally Posted by mutley View Post
    thats like saying high end car makers will eventually fail because you can buy a cheaper car. its utter nonsense. some of use have apple because not only is the device superb its a quality built product not just cheap plastic filled with gimics like the s4
    I could not believe that others also see this point. Samsung says: "Just give them EVERYTHING that Apple doesn't have, even if they don't need it. They will o for it." And there they go..... Finally some people get it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Bing View Post
    I could not believe that others also see this point. Samsung says: "Just give them EVERYTHING that Apple doesn't have, even if they don't need it. They will o for it." And there they go..... Finally some people get it.
    Exactly. So many of Android's "features" are just functions. It's not a feature unless is useful and well implemented.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Why does everyone assume that a new screen size means there will be a new screen resolution? Apple could just make a larger screen that uses the same resolution as iPhone 4S or iPhone 5. The DPI would be slightly lower, but still much better than the first 3 iPhones. I absolutely would buy that phone.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Villebilly View Post
    Why don't they just poll iphone owners and find out what we want. Personally I would only want a tiny bit bigger and I love the current slimness.
    It would have been nice if the article would have stated what the two sizes of the screens would be.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by claustin View Post
    Apple has what, 6 devices currently supported for current iOS updates? Anything older than the iP4 doesn't count. You can't support everything forever.
    Apple has 9 devices currently supported on latest iOS 6.1.3.

iOS 6 is supported on: iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, iPod Touch 4G, iPad 2, 3, 4, iPad Mini.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,148 Times in 4,593 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post

iOS 6 is supported on: iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, iPod Touch 4G, iPad 2, 3, 4, iPad Mini.
    Exactly. That's hardly fragmentation.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (04-09-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm thinking they will offer the 5S in both the familiar 3.5" size and the current 4". That would prevent any app issues and still offer a choice of sizes.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post

Ah wasn't sure about the 3GS and iPad 2. Completely forgot about the iPod.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    I'm thinking they will offer the 5S in both the familiar 3.5" size and the current 4". That would prevent any app issues and still offer a choice of sizes.
    Unfortunately I think you're probably right. I'm holding out hope for 4.5-4.8 though.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I like my iPhone 5 screen size just the way it is! I don't want a damn tablet in my hand for a cell phone. I don't carry a purse and think my phone should fit comfortably in my pocket.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albut View Post
    Will never compete with Samsung re value for money relating to features. Apple will fail eventually if the continue to hike their prices!
    Apple... Hiking prices? ... So welcome to the real world... The iPhone hasn't changed in price since its release. Not sure your comment is even worth correcting but here it is anyways. Hope you enjoy it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me ProfessorJack's Avatar
    Thanks

If apple bring out a 3.5 size they will be labeled as having the smallest smart Phone in the world