+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HTC Reports Record-Low Quarterly Profit, Confirming Apple and Samsung as Dominant

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default HTC Reports Record-Low Quarterly Profit, Confirming Apple and Samsung as Dominant

The smartphone industry continues to become a two-horse race between Apple and Samsung as the rival handset maker, HTC, recently reported its lowest quarterly profit since the company began reporting in 2004. HTC ended up seeing a net profit of T$85 million or $2.85 million U.S. in the three month span from January to March according to Reuters. In comparison, HTC made T$10.9 billion in the same period a year ago.

It should be noted that the company’s lowest-ever quarterly profit came after it was forced to delay the launch of its flagship HTC One handset due to a shortage of camera components. The HTC One was only available in three markets at the end of the March quarter, when the Taiwanese company had originally planned to launch it in a total of 80 countries - quite a big difference that anyone should be able to see.

The company also recently announced that it has partnered with Facebook to release the HTC first, a device billed as the first phone to optimize the Facebook “Home” experience for handsets running Google’s Android platform. Although Facebook Home will be available on other Android devices, the HTC First will be the only one available with Home preinstalled.

Last year, HTC accounted for 6% of the total worldwide smartphone market. Its sales were off by 25.2% from 2011, while Apple and Samsung both grew their share year over year among the top five largest vendors. On profit alone, Apple and Samsung ended up capturing 103% of the total industry profits in 2012, a share made possible because rivals such as Motorola, Nokia and Sony actually lost money in 2012. HTC ended up accounting for 1% of the mobile industry’s profits in 2012 but took 0% share in the fourth quarter of last year. We’ll have to see if HTC can turn things around going forward.

Source: Reuters

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

Hi-Tech Crap.

Although to be honest, I'm very, very, very tempted by their new One phone. It looks amazing. Like how the i5 should've looked.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KraXik For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (04-09-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i will not say every HTC is like this, but i was foolish and got the Evo 3d shortly after its release based off the "awesome" specs it had. Worst phone I've ever owned. buggy/glitchy. unresponsive touch after lock screen. Has a mind of its own (opens aps, hits random letters on the keyboard when texting, etc). I will never go HTC again. iPhone here i come. (I'm on my 3rd replacement also)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'm so tempted to jump apple's ship and go for the HTC one. That phone is designed exactly the way I always wanted the iphone to looks like......butttt!!!!! I guess Apple feels incremental updates is the way to go. The only thing that is keeping me from switching and I mean the only thing is Jailbreak. So I guess the next iphone is going to be another 5 with a faster processor......how incredibly boring.

iPhone? More like MyPhone carlbgc's Avatar
    Thanks

I am also considering the jump to HTC One. Dats a sexy phone.

I cant believe the majority of non-ios users are choosing that crap, plastic Samsung over HTC's superior build quality. I hope HTC picks up.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
    I'm so tempted to jump apple's ship and go for the HTC one. That phone is designed exactly the way I always wanted the iphone to looks like......butttt!!!!! I guess Apple feels incremental updates is the way to go. The only thing that is keeping me from switching and I mean the only thing is Jailbreak. So I guess the next iphone is going to be another 5 with a faster processor......how incredibly boring.
    are you serious? you can do more on stock Android than you ever could on a jailbroken iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by carlbgc View Post
    I am also considering the jump to HTC One. Dats a sexy phone.

I cant believe the majority of non-ios users are choosing that crap, plastic Samsung over HTC's superior build quality. I hope HTC picks up.
    plastic Samsung phones--even low end phones can do tons more than your "superior build quality" iPhone with the cheap tacky plastic case you have on it.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,273 Times in 5,956 Posts

Troll

Samsung is on their way down!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!