Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: T-Mobile Releases Carrier Software Update for Unlocked iPhone 5 Units

Default T-Mobile Releases Carrier Software Update for Unlocked iPhone 5 Units

T-mobile Friday released a carrier software update for unlocked iPhone 5 units that enables 4G LTE, 4G HSPA+, visual voicemail, the 4G network indicator, the commercial mobile alert system, and auto configures several carrier settings. The release confirms a rumor released earlier this week from TmoNews.

The update can be installed through iTunes, or via an OTA (over the air) update on any unlocked iPhone 5 on T-mobile’s network that is running iOS 6.1.x or later. T-mobile and Apple have started offering a new version of the iPhone 5 that is compatible out of the box with T-mobile's cellular network for pre-order just this Friday. The iPhone 5 is supposed to hit the shelves for T-mobile customers on April 12th.

If you have an AT&T iPhone 5, Verizon iPhone 5, Sprint iPhone 5, or a different non-T-mobile iPhone 5, unlocked or not, then you won’t have to worry about downloading and installing this carrier update.

Sources: MacRumors

How can I update OTA ?
    I can't find it ?

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

This won't work if you are jailbroken.

So what if I have a Verizon iPhone 5 and later want to move to t-mobile. Could I just update some software and use the phone I already have?

Quote Originally Posted by PiiNeDa323 View Post
    How can I update OTA ?
    I can't find it ?
    Me either?

Thanks

You should be able to update the carrier without loosing your jailbreak via iTunes.

Bummer! Only for iPhone 5's. I guess that makes sense...I would love to have visual voicemail on my 4s, though.

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    You should be able to update the carrier without loosing your jailbreak via iTunes.
    Can someone verify this? I'm switching to T-mobile on Monday and DEFINITELY don't want to lose my jailbreak.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by captainmccool View Post
    Bummer! Only for iPhone 5's. I guess that makes sense...I would love to have visual voicemail on my 4s, though.
    No, it's planned for all iPhones using 6.1.x on T-Mobile's network. You'll get VVM, MMS, and data settings baked in (assuming you have VisualVoiceMail enabled in your account).

Apparently T-Mobile pulled the support page; I guess the carrier update is delayed for some reason.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

"SHOULD"...... It sounds like your comment is based off a thread you just read. If you are not even sure, don't lead people into going to iTunes and hitting the "Update" button only to find out that it will update their phone to the latest IOS version (6.1.3).

For those of you who has Jailbroken iPhone 5. Don't hit the "Update" button in iTunes thinking it will only do a carrier update. The carrier update is not even available anywhere (iTunes or OTA). I guess we will just have to wait...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to swoosh0217 For This Useful Post:

rodnutz (04-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    This won't work if you are jailbroken.
    t-mobile.com/isetup through your phone browser

my phone is jailbroken and i was able to install this update. not sure what it did but it changed a few of my settings. it changed my apn settings to epc.tmobile.com... i just changed it back to fast.t-mobile.com
    Last edited by pogijeffrey; 04-05-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swoosh0217 View Post
    "SHOULD"...... It sounds like your comment is based off a thread you just read. If you are not even sure, don't lead people into going to iTunes and hitting the "Update" button only to find out that it will update their phone to the latest IOS version (6.1.3).

For those of you who has Jailbroken iPhone 5. Don't hit the "Update" button in iTunes thinking it will only do a carrier update. The carrier update is not even available anywhere (iTunes or OTA). I guess we will just have to wait...
    I used to install custom carrier settings all the time on my jailbroken iPhone 2G and 3G. I never said go to iTunes and update to the latest OS. If you have the carrier file you CAN update it through iTunes without loosing your jailbreak. This is the same way MMS was enabled on the iPhone before it was official.

I used to install custom carrier settings all the time on my jailbroken iPhone 2G and 3G. I never said go to iTunes and update to the latest OS. If you have the carrier file you CAN update it through iTunes without loosing your jailbreak. This is the same way MMS was enabled on the iPhone before it was official.
    I concur with this too. You can update Carrier Settings thru iTunes, without affecting/losing your jailbreak. You hold Option key while selecting Update, and you point your computer to wherever you have the carrier file.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NSXrebel For This Useful Post:

szr (04-06-2013)

[QUOTE=pogijeffrey;6825222]t-mobile.com/isetup

sorry guys.. i guess this is not the carrier update as thought. please dont use this. i thought it was the t-mobile official update as it was dated april 5th, 2003.
    Last edited by daytonaviolet; 04-06-2013 at 08:06 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to daytonaviolet For This Useful Post:

szr (04-06-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe they just put this,

"Prerequisites

T-Mobile iPhone or any officially unlocked GSM iPhone
    Latest iOS software version
    Device software is not jailbroken
    50% battery life or connected to a power source
    Data connection or a computer with iTunes and internet access
    Minimum of 1 MB available memory (File size of update is ~10 KB)"

so people would update just so they can get all these features. May not be true as some have successfully tried.

What's the difference between epc.tmobile.com and fast.t-mobile.com. I use epc and i've never heard of the fast.t-mobile.com before.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

installed on jbd ip4

the carrier package is removable in the general settings

added 2 things to my homescreen
    -"mobilelife" app
    -"get myaccount" shortcut to tmobile my account app in the appstore

both of these were deletable which I did

cell data changed to epc.t-mobile.com i had it blank previously, still working fine...

i think it changed my mms setting?
    tested sending mms and it failed twice

visual voicemail wasnt coming up for me

Visual voicemail didnt even work for me.

That's not the update lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast