Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: T-Mobile Releases Carrier Software Update for Unlocked iPhone 5 Units

I updated my non job ip5 and it didn't do anything. Apn and mms stayed the same. I still don't have any LTE. All I get is my usual 3G.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Timz717 View Post
    I updated my non job ip5 and it didn't do anything. Apn and mms stayed the same. I still don't have any LTE. All I get is my usual 3G.
    What was posted (isetup) was an old mobileconfig file used by T-Mobile reps to quickly setup devices before the iPhone was announced. It will not setup LTE, MMS, VVM, or tethering settings, due to current limitations on mobileconfigs.

The article was in reference to a carrier bundle update, which would be an .ipcc file if downloaded from the computer. This *will* setup LTE access (for compatible devices), MMS, VVM, and tethering settings once it's released. It should be be updatable on any iOS device that can grab it OTA (that should even include jailbroken ones unlike the referenced support page said prior to it pulled from public view; I have seen VZW carrier settings get pulled OTA on my jailbroken iPhone 5 before), or installed through iTunes while connected for syncing. Both of these cases should happen while using a T-Mobile carrier SIM in said iPhone.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

If its a carrier update just go to settings-General-About and a notification will pop up telling you a new carrier update is available. Just select ok/install and you are good to go. It's JB safe. That's how I've done all my carrier updates outside of iTunes. Worked on a 4S countless times both VZW and AT&T. The carrier update is completely harmless to the JB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob2G For This Useful Post:

szr (04-06-2013)

So I shouldn't update I phone 4?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Cmds187's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    What was posted (isetup) was an old mobileconfig file used by T-Mobile reps to quickly setup devices before the iPhone was announced. It will not setup LTE, MMS, VVM, or tethering settings, due to current limitations on mobileconfigs.

The article was in reference to a carrier bundle update, which would be an .ipcc file if downloaded from the computer. This *will* setup LTE access (for compatible devices), MMS, VVM, and tethering settings once it's released. It should be be updatable on any iOS device that can grab it OTA (that should even include jailbroken ones unlike the referenced support page said prior to it pulled from public view; I have seen VZW carrier settings get pulled OTA on my jailbroken iPhone 5 before), or installed through iTunes while connected for syncing. Both of these cases should happen while using a T-Mobile carrier SIM in said iPhone.
    Has anyone tried installing the file
    Last edited by Cmds187; 04-06-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmds187 View Post
    Has anyone tried installing the file
    I did and it supposedly added LTE. Keep in mind my phone display 4G but it fluctuates between 4G and E and my service sucks. I just switched from AT&T 10 days ago and have nothing but issues. I was hoping the carrier update came out yesterday cause this service is not worth the headache. Also with this step I don't get picture texts from non iPhone devices constantly some of them come thru but most don't. In other words this thing isn't worth the hassle.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to franijose For This Useful Post:

Cmds187 (04-06-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by franijose View Post
    I did and it supposedly added LTE. Keep in mind my phone display 4G but it fluctuates between 4G and E and my service sucks. I just switched from AT&T 10 days ago and have nothing but issues. I was hoping the carrier update came out yesterday cause this service is not worth the headache. Also with this step I don't get picture texts from non iPhone devices constantly some of them come thru but most don't. In other words this thing isn't worth the hassle.
    You got 20 more days to cancel.

Quote Originally Posted by rodnutz View Post
    Can someone verify this? I'm switching to T-mobile on Monday and DEFINITELY don't want to lose my jailbreak.
    I'm running an iPhone 5 on Verizon. I connected to my computer and used iTunes for a carrier update. Didn't effect my jailbreak at all.

Franijose: you were able to install the tmobile update? How? Did u go to any site? Because I've been trying going to settings > about and nothing came up. Same goes for downloading the file ftom yhe isetup page.

Thanks

Carrier Update release has been postponed. https://mobile.twitter.com/TMobileHe...70483470921728

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post

T-mobile Friday released a carrier software update for unlocked iPhone 5 units that enables 4G LTE, 4G HSPA+, visual voicemail, the 4G network indicator, the commercial mobile alert system, and auto configures several carrier settings. The release confirms a rumor released earlier this week from TmoNews.

The update can be installed through iTunes, or via an OTA (over the air) update on any unlocked iPhone 5 on T-mobile’s network that is running iOS 6.1.x or later. T-mobile and Apple have started offering a new version of the iPhone 5 that is compatible out of the box with T-mobile's cellular network for pre-order just this Friday. The iPhone 5 is supposed to hit the shelves for T-mobile customers on April 12th.

If you have an AT&T iPhone 5, Verizon iPhone 5, Sprint iPhone 5, or a different non-T-mobile iPhone 5, unlocked or not, then you won’t have to worry about downloading and installing this carrier update.

Sources: MacRumors
    The carrier bundle has not been released. It is being delayed until Monday.

Secondly,

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    Please remove this image and its accompanying information. That is an old T-Mobile provisioning profile that was released before T-Mobile ever made a deal with Apple. As you can tell, it is "Not Verified" and all it does is add an icon to your homescreen along with only changing your APN to "epc.tmobile.com."

The "received" date of "Apr 5, 2013" is the date that you accessed it.

The above is NOT the official T-Mobile carrier bundle. The official bundle will populate all of the MMS settings, Visual Voicemail, and some other settings here and there.

"....that enables 4G LTE, 4G HSPA+, visual voicemail, the 4G network indicator, the commercial mobile...."

nope. No 4G HSPA+

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    You should be able to update the carrier without loosing your jailbreak via iTunes.
    I wouldn't be surprised if deleting the symlink
    Code:
    /var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundle.bundle
    which forces the phone (and I believe other devices, like cellular iPads) to go through the carrier setup process again, where official carrier unlocks are recognized and applied, would also cause other such carrier updates such as this to be applied as well, as this is the phase that takes place when you'd normally restore to do it. Either that or an IPCC file might be made available, or as others of mentioned, can be installed directly on a device from the Settings/About section where it should prompt, and (I can confirm that doing that is indeed jail-break safe.)
    Last edited by szr; 04-06-2013 at 03:11 PM.

I want this to enable visual voicemail... I already have 3g speeds on my 4s and MMS is working fine.. I also have tethering working fine... but ..

Evasi0n disables OTA updates.. and iTunes only prompts me to install 6.1.3 which I don't want ... so I don't see how to get this update?? ... has it just not been sent to me? has the evasi0n disabling of OTA prevented it? ... what's the deal? ... I'm also surprised the bundle isn't on cydia...

I saw a note about it being delayed until Monday.. yet lots of people have reported getting the update and I've seen dozens of articles online reporting it .... how do we know it's been delayed?

Quote Originally Posted by oneduality View Post
    I want this to enable visual voicemail... I already have 3g speeds on my 4s and MMS is working fine.. I also have tethering working fine... but ..

Evasi0n disables OTA updates.. and iTunes only prompts me to install 6.1.3 which I don't want ... so I don't see how to get this update?? ... has it just not been sent to me? has the evasi0n disabling of OTA prevented it? ... what's the deal? ... I'm also surprised the bundle isn't on cydia...

I saw a note about it being delayed until Monday.. yet lots of people have reported getting the update and I've seen dozens of articles online reporting it .... how do we know it's been delayed?
    I deleted private/var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundle.bundle for the fun of it .. ( I backed it up, I'm not daft ) rebooted my phone.. and not a single thing changed... I can still send and recieve MMS... all works like nothing was touched.

Update: actually it wiped out my MMS settings yet I was still able to send MMS messages... it didn't force any kind of carrier update though so that notion is a fail =) restored
    Last edited by oneduality; 04-06-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks

I deleted private/var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundle.bundle for the fun of it .. ( I backed it up, I'm not daft ) rebooted my phone.. and not a single thing changed... I can still send and recieve MMS... all works like nothing was touched.

Update: actually it wiped out my MMS settings yet I was still able to send MMS messages... it didn't force any kind of carrier update though so that notion is a fail =) restored
    Read my post (post # 30) above.

I deleted private/var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundle.bundle for the fun of it .. ( I backed it up, I'm not daft )
    While backing up is always a good habit before making changes, I just wanted to point out that /private/var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundle.bundle is not the actual file, but simply a link to the real file that lives in the area where files for the carrier that's currently in use are kept, such as /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone/31041, and can changed when different sim-cards are inserted, or when another carrier is selected from Settings -> Carrier list, if you have that enabled/available.

Point being, you didn't actually delete the file, but just a link that refers to it, and I thought I'd just take a moment to put this information out. It doesn't make backing up any less important though. Actually, you could have just renamed /var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundle.bundle to /var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundle.bundle-old which would preserve the link, making it easy to rename it back in order to quickly restore it if you wanted.
    Last edited by szr; 04-06-2013 at 04:52 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

how do I get MMS on my ip4? it always fails for me. I tried making it blank and now the on toggle disappeared.

edit:
    used these settings and it's working now! note: data has to be on...
    http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2383
    Last edited by thunderwolf333; 04-06-2013 at 06:40 PM.

thanks for the update.. i removed the image.

Quote Originally Posted by ruslan120 View Post
    "....that enables 4G LTE, 4G HSPA+, visual voicemail, the 4G network indicator, the commercial mobile...."

nope. No 4G HSPA+

Default You are wrong...
    Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    This won't work if you are jailbroken.
    Wrong, wrong, wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    This won't work if you are jailbroken.
    ... wrong, wrong, wrong!!!
    Last edited by jetsetjoey; 04-07-2013 at 03:55 PM.

I deleted my Carrier Bundle.Bundle folder accidentally and really really need someones help. I do not have access to cellular data anymore and my MMS settings and everything are gone. Like a NOOB I didnt make a backup either. I am on an iphone 5 factory unlocked for tmobile. Can someone send me their bundle or tell me how I can fix all this. Thank you so much in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by szr View Post
    While backing up is always a good habit before making changes, I just wanted to point out that /private/var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundle.bundle is not the actual file, but simply a link to the real file that lives in the area where files for the carrier that's currently in use are kept, such as /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone/31041, and can changed when different sim-cards are inserted, or when another carrier is selected from Settings -> Carrier list, if you have that enabled/available.

Point being, you didn't actually delete the file, but just a link that refers to it, and I thought I'd just take a moment to put this information out. It doesn't make backing up any less important though. Actually, you could have just renamed /var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundle.bundle to /var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundle.bundle-old which would preserve the link, making it easy to rename it back in order to quickly restore it if you wanted.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast