+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Roughly Half of Android Users Won't Get Facebook Home due to Fragmentation

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Roughly Half of Android Users Won't Get Facebook Home due to Fragmentation

During the unveiling of Facebook Home, Mark Zuckerberg said that the “openness” of Google’s Android platform is what made the Home experience possible. What wasn’t mentioned was the fact that due to the fragmented nature of the Android market, nearly half of all Android users won’t even be able to run its new Home feature to begin with.

Facebook Home won’t run on Android 2.3 Gingerbread or lower, a fact which was revealed in a question-and-answer session following Home’s unveiling. Gingerbread, which was initially released in February of 2011, is still the Android version for roughly 40% of the Android install base according to Google’s most recent figures. Roughly 7% run an even older version of the operating system.

The other roughly 53% of Android devices running either version 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich or versions 4.1 and 4.2 Jelly Bean will supposedly be able to run Facebook Home but not until sometime after its launch. Zuckerberg pointed out both during and after the Home presentation that the launch will be reserved to six devices initially which include: the HTC One and One X, Samsung Galaxy S III, S4, Note II, and the recently revealed HTC First, which is said to be optimized for the Facebook home experience. It was also mentioned that the launcher won’t be available for Android tablets until sometime after its launch as well.

Facebook Home was said to better suited for Google since Apple controls both the hardware and software underlying its iOS devices, therefore having a much smaller set of configurations to develop for. Unfortunately, Google makes Android available to a wide array of manufacturers and some of them are diligent in updating their devices to recent versions of Android but a large number aren’t. Due to either technical limitations or fiscal infeasibility, hundreds of millions of Android devices are running a now two-year outdated version of the operating system.

This fragmentation among the Android install base has proved to be a significant problem for Android developers as they have to program their apps not only to account for a vast array of hardware configurations but also to account for 40% of their potential audience using a two year old operating system. Google has taken some steps to address the fragmentation issue but the issue remains at large. In the meantime, Facebook Home seems like it would be very limited.

Source: AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

There is just as much "fragmentation" in the iOS field, older devices are left in the dark on future OS releases because Apple "feels" it won't run right, when through jailbreaking and hacking it has been proven otherwise.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bry2k2 For This Useful Post:

JayR_Flow (04-04-2013), Mohit555 (04-04-2013), rocky5 (04-05-2013)

Thanks

Older as in what? 3Gs? That phone is 4+ years old now? There are millions of android phones less than 2 years old that aren't updated. Slight difference....

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah.. Iphone original and 3g, 2 out of five models have older ios.
    What comparison! 3gs has been getting updates for 4 years in a row now..
    Feel lucky if s3 gets another update beyond jb.. Hahaha..
    U android fanboys have such lame arguments..

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mohit555 For This Useful Post:

GibMcfragger (04-04-2013), IP IE ID IR O (04-04-2013), vinaygoel2000 (04-05-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    There is just as much "fragmentation" in the iOS field, older devices are left in the dark on future OS releases because Apple "feels" it won't run right, when through jailbreaking and hacking it has been proven otherwise.
    Thank you. I totally expected to see total apple fanboy responses to this article. I look forward to trying FB Home on my GNII!

iPhone? More like MyPhone IP IE ID IR O's Avatar
    Thanks

"This fragmentation among the Android install base has proved to be a significant problem for Android developers as they have to program their apps not only to account for a vast array of hardware configurations but also to account for 40% of their potential audience using a two year old operating system. "

LOL total BS. If you ever check the API levels, there are way more API's on higher versions of android than 2.3 alone. Facebook Home won't be "limited". And trust me, Android Developers don't face that as a significant "problem". You're joking right? Head over to X D A and see for yourselves.

I feel like just because you guys are an Apple based website, you guys think Android is such a bad "fragmented" OS when in reality iOS has the same issue, but it is more "polished" to not be like that.

Get your facts straight. Both OS's have their pros and cons. Android has fragmentation, and so does iOS. It is fact.

And trust me, people will get facebook home to work on many, many more devices. Android is open source, you can port almost everything to a phone with the right coding practice.

And by the way, yes, I used to be a hardcore apple fan boy. I know the OS, and trust me, iOS is by far the lamest OS when it comes to being open source and allowing customization. for iDevices you need to wait months to jailbreak. For android, you need to wait mere hours to get root. It's just that easy.
    Last edited by IP IE ID IR O; 04-04-2013 at 11:01 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IP IE ID IR O For This Useful Post:

JayR_Flow (04-04-2013), rocky5 (04-05-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by apristel View Post
    Thank you. I totally expected to see total apple fanboy responses to this article. I look forward to trying FB Home on my GNII!
    Wow! Gn2? M reading this on my laptop.. It gives the same feeling except the touchscreen..! I find it hard carrying either of them in my pocket..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mohit555 For This Useful Post:

IP IE ID IR O (04-04-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So you mean a brand new piece of code won't run on a generation of Android devices older than 2 years? Man what a bummer. Clearly the downfall of the Android OS.

What you mean we can't run Angry Birds Star Wars on iOS 4? Who would of thunk it - fragmentation exists on iOS just the same in that regard. Obviously the bias leads to a misleading article.

What's more disturbing is 47% of Android devices aren't even running ICS? You wonder why people bad mouth the OS. It' evolved tenfold in the last 2-3 years. Their loss I guess.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Slimz For This Useful Post:

Channan (04-05-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IP IE ID IR O View Post
    "This fragmentation among the Android install base has proved to be a significant problem for Android developers as they have to program their apps not only to account for a vast array of hardware configurations but also to account for 40% of their potential audience using a two year old operating system. "

LOL total BS. If you ever check the API levels, there are way more API's on higher versions of android than 2.3 alone. Facebook Home won't be "limited". And trust me, Android Developers don't face that as a significant "problem". You're joking right? Head over to A and see for yourselves.

I feel like just because you guys are an Apple based website, you guys think Android is such a bad "fragmented" OS when in reality iOS has the same issue, but it is more "polished" to not be like that.

Get your facts straight. Both OS's have their pros and cons. Android has fragmentation, and so does iOS. It is fact.
    Ios might be a little fragmented because we jailbreakers have an inertia to stay on an older ios till the jailbreak for the new one is released. Its not because we're stuck on the same os that we purchased our phone on because apparently, even our dual cores, 1.5ghz's and 512mb or more rams cant run the 'new os'.

U talk about choices while talking abt android, right?
    Well u have hardware choices, we have the choice for the latest software. And we all know that there isnt much hardware innovation left to do as of now..

Quote Originally Posted by Slimz View Post
    So you mean a brand new piece of code won't run on a generation of Android devices older than 2 years? Man what a bummer. Clearly the downfall of the Android OS.

What you mean we can't run Angry Birds Star Wars on iOS 4? Who would of thunk it - fragmentation exists on iOS just the same in that regard. Obviously the bias leads to a misleading article.

What's more disturbing is 47% of Android devices aren't even running ICS? You wonder why people bad mouth the OS. It' evolved tenfold in the last 2-3 years. Their loss I guess.
    Ohh so u cant run star wars on ios 4? Well, what should u do?!?! I know!
    Upgrade to the latest os in case u have a non antique phone.
    Or buy a new one.. Who is using iphone 3g these days anyway?
    But is that the case with androids.
    DO U HAVE THE CHOICE TO UPGRADE?
    Awww.. Poor third world cellphone users!
    Last edited by Mohit555; 04-04-2013 at 11:03 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mohit555 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mohit555 View Post
    Ios might be a little fragmented because we jailbreakers have an inertia to stay on an older ios till the jailbreak for the new one is released. Its not because we're stuck on the same os that we purchased our phone on because apparently, even our dual cores, 1.5ghz's and 512mb or more rams cant run the 'new os'.

U talk about choices while talking abt android, right?
    Well u have hardware choices, we have the choice for the latest software. And we all know that there isnt much hardware innovation left to do as of now..
    I can get an android device and root it with ease, and simply flash as many custom OS's I want on it. Don't even say that iOS has innovation, because it is truly lacking.
    WANT ALL THE FEATURES OF APPLE'S BRAND NEW OPERATING SYSTEM iOS 6 RIGHT NOW? Easy. Theres a little thing called.... JAILBREAKING

Green Apple
    Thanks

I can get an android device and root it with ease, and simply flash as many custom OS's I want on it. Don't even say that iOS has innovation, because it is truly lacking.
    Wow. Imagine everyone having to jailbreak their devices first and then have the ability to upgrade them.
    And then later realize that because the os wasnt made for the phone, its more glitchy than ever!

Its okay. If android makes you happy, stick with it.
    We anyway dont want people like you rooting for apple cuz then the real, bright fan boys and the company would lose its credibility.
    GO ANDROID!

About innovation, yeah. The last one was siri.
    But its better not to do anything than make a video pause by looking away and call THAT innovation.
    Last edited by Mohit555; 04-04-2013 at 11:11 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mohit555 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wow. Imagine everyone having to jailbreak their devices first and then have the ability to upgrade them.
    And then later realize that because the os wasnt made for the phone, its more glitchy than ever!

Its okay. If android makes you happy, stick with it.
    We anyway dont want people like you rooting for apple cuz then the real, bright fan boys and the company would lose its credibility.
    GO ANDROID!
    You wait months for a jailbreak, we wait mere hours for root and we flash away. It's an extremely easy process, how about you try it yourself? You obviously never owned an android phone before, and you obviously haven't tried the latest jellybean OS.

Get back to me when iOS 7 comes out and finally allows you to move your icons where you want without a jailbreak lol.

It's ok if you like living in Apple's closed garden, thats no problem.

I remember being a hardcore apple fanboy like you thinking that Android is such a weak OS. I was dead wrong when I switched. Never looking back to iOS until it plays catch up with Androids open garden of widgets,launchers,customization,tweaks, etc. The list goes on.

You don't have to agree with me, which I know you won't.

It's my opinion and you have your own too.

Me- The person who played with both OS's for months and owned 2 smartphones with each OS.
    You- Owned every apple product, and probably played with android a few times in your life.

About innovation, yeah. The last one was siri.
    But its better not to do anything than make a video pause by looking away and call THAT innovation.
    LOL Siri. You call that innovation? Google Now has more fluid, faster, and better features/response time than Siri. It's been proven. YouTube my friend.

Pausing a video by looking away? Something iPhone's can't do.

Lmao I am done. Duecesssss

http://mycolorscreen.com/mostviewed/

That is all you need to see to see how truly open android is. ^^^
    Last edited by IP IE ID IR O; 04-04-2013 at 11:30 PM.
    WANT ALL THE FEATURES OF APPLE'S BRAND NEW OPERATING SYSTEM iOS 6 RIGHT NOW? Easy. Theres a little thing called.... JAILBREAKING

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IP IE ID IR O For This Useful Post:

Channan (04-05-2013), JayR_Flow (04-04-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

You wait months for a jailbreak, we wait mere hours for root and we flash away. It's an extremely easy process, how about you try it yourself? You obviously never owned an android phone before, and you obviously haven't tried the latest jellybean OS.

Get back to me when iOS 7 comes out and finally allows you to move your icons where you want without a jailbreak lol.

It's ok if you like living in Apple's closed garden, thats no problem.

I remember being a hardcore apple fanboy like you thinking that Android is such a weak OS. I was dead wrong when I switched. Never looking back to iOS until it plays catch up with Androids open garden of widgets,launchers,customization,tweaks, etc. The list goes on.

You don't have to agree with me, which I know you won't.

It's my opinion and you have your own too.

Me- The person who played with both OS's for months and owned 2 smartphones with each OS.
    You- Owned every apple product, and probably played with android a few times in your life.

LOL Siri. You call that innovation? Google Now has more fluid, faster, and better features/response time than Siri. It's been proven. YouTube my friend.

Lmao I am done. Duecesssss

Having to wait months for a jailbreak sucks.
    But its good to know that the device that we're carrying almost all our life's information on is so secure and so hard to break..! That it takes a big group of hardcore developers MONTHS to penetrate it security walls. You see why its so easy to corrupt or infect an android?

Yeah ure right, i havent used androids much because the experience of even those few times has been sad. Yeah i can customize a lot more but the finesse is lacking.
    And personally, i dont have any issues with that cuz i anyway jailbreak all my devices.

Coming on to your second argument, first try and define innovation.
    Google has a tendency to basically either copy, or if it cant, then buy features. Innovation isnt just lacking, its still unseen. Youtube, android, mail, voice. Its a long list.
    Siri actually was innovation cuz it added a virtual assistant with a very strong personality for the first time phones which actually did more than call the wrong person!
    And then google did what its best at doing. Copy!
    Its just pathetic that you follow followers.
    I prefer following the pioneers.. The leaders.
    I have my ifaith. Seems like u sold it to the green gunk in return for a weather widget on the lockscreen.
    M out.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Mohit555 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Having to wait months for a jailbreak sucks.
    But its good to know that the device that we're carrying almost all our life's information on is so secure and so hard to break..! That it takes a big group of hardcore developers MONTHS to penetrate it security walls. You see why its so easy to corrupt or infect an android?

Yeah ure right, i havent used androids much because the experience of even those few times has been sad. Yeah i can customize a lot more but the finesse is lacking.
    And personally, i dont have any issues with that cuz i anyway jailbreak all my devices.

Coming on to your second argument, first try and define innovation.
    Google has a tendency to basically either copy, or if it cant, then buy features. Innovation isnt just lacking, its still unseen. Youtube, android, mail, voice. Its a long list.
    Siri actually was innovation cuz it added a virtual assistant with a very strong personality for the first time phones which actually did more than call the wrong person!
    And then google did what its best at doing. Copy!
    Its just pathetic that you follow followers.
    I prefer following the pioneers.. The leaders.
    I have my ifaith. Seems like u sold it to the green gunk in return for a weather widget on the lockscreen.
    M out.
    LMMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!1

THIS IS NOT REAL LIFE. GIVE ME A SECOND TO BREATH. LOLOL.

I HAVE NEVER MET SUCH A DIE HARD APPLE FANBOY IN MY ENTIRE MODMYI LIFE.

GOOGLE COPIES? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
    LOLOLO
    OLOLO
    LO
    LO
    LOLO
    LO

You made my freaking year man lmaooooooooooooooooooooo.

See ya lolololololol

Go ahead and follow your "leaders" lmaoooooooooooooooo dude. God bless ya!

lolololololololol.

ROFL. Pathetic my man, just pathetic lolololol. Only faith I got is in God! Looks like you need more of him than go onto this forum and praise apple.

Dueces friend..just.. dueces.. lmaoooo..

Green Apple
    Thanks

LOLOLO
    OLOLO
    LO
    LO
    LOLO
    LO

See ya lolololololol

lolololololololol.

ROFL. Pathetic my man, just pathetic lolololol. Only faith I got is in God! Looks like you need more of him than go onto this forum and praise apple.

Ohh sorry man!
    Google developed youtube! They didnt just buy it!
    And android and the play store was it own fresh idea. App store and ios came way later according to the real timeline.
    And google voice was the main thing. Siri just copied it.
    And google now isnt just an extention of voice which stalks my interests. Its more than that!
    Gmail was such an innovative idea! I mean people had heard about and were using emails, but gmail? Thats the wow factor.
    Yeah, brin and page were innovators initially, but after google floated shares, its just looking for profits. Its stopped thinking.

LOLOLO
    OLOLO
    LO
    LO
    LOLO
    LO

See ya lolololololol

lolololololololol.

How could i forget?
    Google+ was developed way before facebook.. Zuckerberg mustve been a mind reader to have copied it somehow.
    And youtube store isnt a total netflix rip off. Its more than that. I just forget why. But it is.

LOLOLO
    OLOLO
    LO
    LO
    LOLO
    LO

See ya lolololololol

lolololololololol.

And u still have faith in god? Even though he made you the way u are? A moron? Well thats real faith my man! Do you head AA meetings?
    Last edited by Mohit555; 04-04-2013 at 11:48 PM.

Thanks

And u still have faith in god? Even though he made you the way u are? A moron? Well thats real faith my man! Do you head AA meetings?
    Yes I believe in God, and honestly I do wish I held AA meetings. Would be a blessing to be honest (not being sarcastic) but anyways, Praying for you my dude.

Peace.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to IP IE ID IR O For This Useful Post:

Channan (04-05-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yes I believe in God, and honestly I do wish I held AA meetings. Would be a blessing to be honest (not being sarcastic) but anyways, Praying for you my dude.

Peace.
    Great! Peace.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Mohit555 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

BTW YouTube isn't a store, let alone its the total opposite of netflix. Same with Google+.

iPhone? More like MyPhone emmanravalo's Avatar
    Thanks

software update on android is taking so long... i just bought a new htc one sv that release in jan 2013 and it still running on ice cream sandwich that was released 2011 (((((((((((((((

31. The Following User Says Thank You to emmanravalo For This Useful Post:

Mohit555 (04-05-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

BTW YouTube isn't a store, let alone its the total opposite of netflix. Same with Google+.
    I know what google+ is. A sad facebook is what it is.
    And m talking abt youtube store. Its basically netflix with the name changed.
    GOOGLE IT! (Search is one of the google products that i support and think is indispensable.)

Quote Originally Posted by emmanravalo View Post
    software update on android is taking so long... i just bought a new htc one sv that release in jan 2013 and it still running on ice cream sandwich that was released 2011 (((((((((((((((
    Hope ipeddiro is reading this.
    Hahahahaha

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast