Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Disney's "Where's My Water?" iPhone App Sued by Lodsys

Thanks

Default Disney's "Where's My Water?" iPhone App Sued by Lodsys

In May of 2011, Lodsys warned and sued iOS software makers over in-app purchases when they did not license from Lodsys technologies. After taking a break, they are back and this time kicking off another round of lawsuits according to MacRumors.

On the list this time is The Walt Disney Company for the popular "Where’s My Water?" puzzle game (among other Disney apps as well) and Lodsys claims that it infringes upon many claims:

Prior to filing this complaint, Lodsys informed Disney of the patents-in-suit and offered to enter into a licensing arrangement that would allow Disney to continue practicing the inventions claimed in patents-in-suit. Disney, however, chose not to enter into a licensing agreement. Instead, with knowledge of the patents-in-suit and disregard for Lodsys’ patent rights, Disney chose to continue its infringement.
    It has been reported that the firm is requesting their case against Disney be tried by a jury, and that since Disney’s infringement was found to be "willful from the time that the defendant became aware of the infringing nature of its respective products and services," damages in the case would be tripled.

Along with Disney, nine other app developers are also being sued; amongst them are TMSoft, Gameloft, and BackFlip Studios. Lodsys is also going after retailers consisting of Nordstrom, Burberry, Godiva as well as HP, Crocs, SanDisk and General Motors.

In October of last year, Lodsys reported that more than 150 companies had achieved rights to use their patent portfolio but the number has increased, now putting it at over 200 companies. While Apple was granted the motion to intervene in Lodsys’ broader litigation, it is unknown if they will intervene in all of the individual lawsuits due to Apple’s “patent exhaustion.”

Source: Scribd via MacRumors

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Good **** you Disney for shutting down Lucas Arts.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eightyk88 For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (04-04-2013), iH85CH001 (04-04-2013), jose060789 (04-04-2013)

Disney supports same sex marriage, and the infringement will allow people to marry inanimate objects, making it possible for them to patent animatronics as partners

goverment just need to shut this troll down they dont own **** for patents didnt apple already shut them up?

What does this company do other than f*** with companies. I mean really. These f*****s need to get a real life and real job.

Quote Originally Posted by camxposure View Post
    Disney supports same sex marriage, and the infringement will allow people to marry inanimate objects, making it possible for them to patent animatronics as partners
    So what, if it makes people happy then let them

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rickuk For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (04-04-2013)

I love Where's My Water. That game has kept me occupied for hours.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

They're going to lose against Disney....they'll give em' a nice punch to the ovaries.

Really, Lodsys is not very smart, Disney will not be bullied and will fight to the bitter end. I see three possible outcomes, Disney wins and Lodsys effectively gets shut down, because if Disney wins, then a precedent is set and developers no longer need to fear this company. Second option is Lodsys wins and Disney and others stop the in app purchases, because it becomes to costly to do this.

These first two options are both good for the consumer in the long run, meaning lower prices or more fixed prices rather than baiting with free apps, then requiring in app purchases.

The third option is that Disney will settle out of court and I really hope they don't. If this goes to court, any decision will be good for the consumer, if it is settled out of court, it will be bad for the consumer.
    Last edited by cmwade77; 04-04-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    So what, if it makes people happy then let them
    Have you ever went to school & see two dikes making out? It's so fukkkking gross.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Airwaves182 For This Useful Post:

ThatOneProfile (04-04-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ridingsupreme's Avatar
    Thanks

Two plugs is no fun but watching two outlets trying to couple is always fun. Equal rights does not mean inanimate objects or animals will be subject to fornication. Keep your closed mind politics to yourself and stay on topic folks. Everyone deserves equal rights this is a free country. Homophobia is a sign that you are in fact bi curious in the least.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ridingsupreme For This Useful Post:

BhadKarma (04-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    Have you ever went to school & see two dikes making out? It's so fukkkking gross.
    No, but I'm sure seeing a homophobe that's probably closeted making out with anyone isn't very appealing either.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Senyaichiya For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 894 Posts

Wow lots of ******* swear word replies....

Quote Originally Posted by ridingsupreme View Post
    Two plugs is no fun but watching two outlets trying to couple is always fun. Equal rights does not mean inanimate objects or animals will be subject to fornication. Keep your closed mind politics to yourself and stay on topic folks. Everyone deserves equal rights this is a free country. Homophobia is a sign that you are in fact bi curious in the least.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Senyaichiya View Post
    No, but I'm sure seeing a homophobe that's probably closeted making out with anyone isn't very appealing either.
    You all gay

Hhahahahahaa

I'm straight and i approve guy marriage
    what's wrong with you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledevelopmentcompany View Post
    I'm straight and i approve guy marriage
    what's wrong with you guys?
    If I had to guess they're just narrow minded and trolling.

Homophobia is a sign that you are in fact bi curious in the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Senyaichiya View Post
    Why should someone automatically be considered to be homophobic just because they take issue with, or just simply dislike homosexuality, or that they are "closest" or "bi-curious" ? I'm sorry, one can dislike something without being the very thing they dislike. This is a huge fallacy, the same one that covers people throwing around the "racist" label for similar reasons. It's obvious that some people just can't take criticism and instead feel that throwing around blanket labels is the right answer. Can't argue, then destroy your opponent. Seems to be a common theme in today's politics.

Everyone deserves equal rights this is a free country.
    Very much agreed, assuming you are speaking of the United States, of which that is a founding tenet. I am all for letting people choose who they want to be with. Choice is a great thing. That doesn't mean one has to like it or accept it, but that also doesn't mean one should interfere with someone else's life.