Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: T-Mobile Will Be Adding Support for LTE and Visual Voicemail to Unlocked iPhones

Default T-Mobile Will Be Adding Support for LTE and Visual Voicemail to Unlocked iPhones

TmoNews has reportedly gotten their hands on an internal document that reveals T-mobile’s plans to enable 4G LTE, visual voicemail, MMS settings, and more for unlocked iPhones via a carrier software update on April 5, 2013:

The T-Mobile Carrier Update is a minor iOS software update that enables official iPhone support by T-Mobile. When installed, the software update enables a handful of capabilities like Visual Voicemail, MMS Settings and Network/Device optimizations that customers do not have access to today. On April 5, the software update will begin being pushed via OTA to all iPhone devices on the T-Mobile network with iOS 6.1.x or higher.
    All unlocked iPhones running iOS 6.1.x or higher will be able to take advantage of the software update via OTA (over the air) updating, which means there’s no need to connect to iTunes to grab the update when it comes out to the public.

T-mobile will also be offering HD voice, a feature of the iPhone 5 that has yet to be taken advantage of by the top U.S. cellular carriers. AT&T announced last night that the feature will be coming to AT&T customers later this year; however, T-mobile says the feature will be supported on their iPhone 5 right out of the box.

Sources: TmoNews via MacRumors

I presume this update will come as a modified 6.1.3. Is there a way to get visual voicemail and other said enhancements while keeping a jailbroken 6.1.2?

Edit: Nevermind, this is a carrier update not FW.
    Last edited by CPDigitalDarkroom; 04-02-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CPDigitalDarkroom View Post
    I presume this update will come as a modified 6.1.3. Is there a way to get visual voicemail and other said enhancements while keeping a jailbroken 6.1.2?
    I'm going to go with no. I may not be right but I'm almost certain not.

is this good news for people with an unlocked ip5 on straightalk with a tmobile sim?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by staysic722 View Post
    is this good news for people with an unlocked ip5 on straightalk with a tmobile sim?
    Probably not. It'll most likely set your APNs and settings to the T-Mobile standard ones, which will break data and MMS until they're edited via configuration profile or jailbreak tweak.

but tmobiles support of LTE will most likely carry over to straighttalk right?

That's great if you live in one of the 7 cities that has T-Mobile LTE. Then you fall back to 2G.

So it sounds like my wife's AT&T iPhone 4 that is officially unlocked will be able to get 3G speeds instead of just Edge on T-Mobile? Or are iPhone 4's not included? I thought it was impossible to get faster Internet speeds with the current iPhones on T-Mobile because of the incompatible frequencies.

Thanks

but tmobiles support of LTE will most likely carry over to straighttalk right?
    Partially. I believe T-Mobile's MVNOs will have access to their LTE network relatively quickly, however, will have a lower priority of capacity and speed.

since this is a OTA update will i get it even if im JB? i tho the JB disable the OTA. BTW dose anyone kno if this would conflict with the early LTE config i did.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ggab View Post
    So it sounds like my wife's AT&T iPhone 4 that is officially unlocked will be able to get 3G speeds instead of just Edge on T-Mobile? Or are iPhone 4's not included? I thought it was impossible to get faster Internet speeds with the current iPhones on T-Mobile because of the incompatible frequencies.
    I have an unlocked 4 running on TMo on a grandfathered T-Zones plan (4.99) and have had edge data speeds for years now. Within the last few months, TMo has been changing their data network and adding frequency support. Since Christmas, I've been getting 3G at my house and in town with edge in between without changing anything on my phone or plan.
    iPhone 4 Running 6.1.2 on TMo
    iPad WiFi 64GB
    MacBook Pro

Quote Originally Posted by baykush View Post
    since this is a OTA update will i get it even if im JB? i tho the JB disable the OTA. BTW dose anyone kno if this would conflict with the early LTE config i did.
    Same question

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Guys there is a difference between firmware update and carrier update. Jailbroken phones don't get firmware update but they still get carrier updates and that does not affect the jailbreak.

Can't upload a freakin image on this sh1tty ModMyi app. Please fix this mods.
    Last edited by vinaygoel2000; 04-02-2013 at 04:23 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to vinaygoel2000 For This Useful Post:

PiiNeDa323 (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,889 Times in 6,042 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post

Can't upload a freakin image on this sh1tty ModMyi app. Please fix this mods.
    Just another reason I use Safari when on iDevice.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Just another reason I use Safari when on iDevice.
    Does Safari nag you all the time that this site has an app?

Safari is only showing me 10 comments and no way to go to next page! Am I doing something wrong?

Plus it has that smart banner at the top.
    Last edited by vinaygoel2000; 04-02-2013 at 05:51 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The frequencies are already out just need to turn on 3G
    Also Depends on the city your in I'm in Texas by Dallas Fort Worth and I'm getting great 3G signal over here
    I'm on a att iPhone 4 unlocked

I'm guess straightalk has a better signal over the tmobile service ???
    why not just use tmobile- sure there's a reason

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by camxposure View Post
    I'm guess straightalk has a better signal over the tmobile service ???
    why not just use tmobile- sure there's a reason
    Same towers same signal. Lower monthly cost is the reason.

3G on t-mobile is already popping up all over.. I live in Ohio and it kicked on a few weeks back.. it's in way more than "7 cities" as someone else posted..

This isn't an official map, it's a user driven map where 3G has been sighted and reported..

Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)

On my iphone 4s I get about 9-10mb on speed tests

And yes it used to be impossible, but because of the deal falling through with ATT buying T-mobile, part of their agreement stated that if it fell through that ATT had to give up some spectrum to T-Mobile... that allowed T-Mobile to support the 1900MHz frequency required by iPhones... since then, T-Mobile has been frantically implementing it
    Last edited by oneduality; 04-03-2013 at 08:09 AM.

Does this mean I will get 4g or 3g on my iPhone 5 ?? Whenever no lte network is there ??

This is confusing . first they were saying u will have to buy new tmobile version iPhone to get hspa speed or something n now this . someone explain plz thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast