+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Will Enable HD Voice for the iPhone 5 Later This Year

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default AT&T Will Enable HD Voice for the iPhone 5 Later This Year

AT&T, one of the largest U.S. carriers to offer the iPhone, has announced Monday that they will be enabling HD voice later this year on their network. The news comes from AllThingsD about a week after T-Mobile announced that they would be getting the iPhone and supporting HD voice right out of the box starting April 12, 2013.

HD voice promises to bring users clearer voice calls, something that iPhone users really could benefit from. The feature is better known as ‘wideband audio,' and Apple's Phil Schiller made sure to make note of it at the iPhone 5 event last year.

According to AT&T, the company plans to enable voice calls over 4G LTE, which should help with the HD call quality. Currently, phone calls initiated or received on an AT&T iPhone 5 are performed on 4G HSPA+, which the iPhone 5 drops down to until the call is over – at this point, the iPhone 5 re-connects to the 4G LTE cellular network.

With AT&T offering HD voice later this year and T-mobile offering HD voice right out of the box, these will be the first two major U.S. carriers to start supporting HD voice on the iPhone 5. Hopefully additional U.S. carriers will follow suit and start enabling the feature.

Sources: AllThingsD

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Knowing AT&T, an extra charge for that...
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

3. The Following User Says Thank You to javiert30 For This Useful Post:

EdgeNsketch (04-02-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Can Sprint or Verizon call and check internet at the same time on any of the phones?
    If the answer is still no, I do not see how it would be possible.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Can Sprint or Verizon call and check internet at the same time on any of the phones?
    AllThingsD says Sprint is looking into enabling HD voice.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    Bastards

7. The Following User Says Thank You to garfielgato2 For This Useful Post:

Mohit555 (04-02-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The only ppl i call are grandma on her LAN line And to call into work. Grandma can't hear anyways and the worst I sound to my boss when I'm calling in the better off I am lol. This is definitely a feature I could live without. Sprint needs to focus on spreading LTE

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MgNate For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (04-01-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 723 Posts

Why don't we all work on cell service than jumping the gun

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Phones that use the same radio wave for LTE and whichever tech is used for voice can and do simultaneous voice and data. The iPhone has separate chipsets for CDMA and LTE/gsm alas too much work for the Verizon and sprint iPhones also confusing as much more plays into this, but a software update cannot fix it. It's the hardware apple put into it to make it easier to manufacture for all Carriers.

Thanks

If T-Mobile brings LTE to my area before AT&T, I'm jumping ship. Even though I have an grandfathered unlimited data plan, and with my govt employee discount, I still have to pay for unlimited text messages. I pay around $80/month right now with only 450 mins which I never go over. In fact, I have thousands of roll over minutes every year. I can probably get away with T-mobile's lowest plan of $50/month unlimited.

Green Apple
    Thanks

HD voice is old news for Telstra customers in Australia. It was implemented before the iPhone 5 was even launched. Guess we're doing pretty well with the phone provider features down-unda

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ozdude View Post
    HD voice is old news for Telstra customers in Australia. It was implemented before the iPhone 5 was even launched. Guess we're doing pretty well with the phone provider features down-unda
    How much do you pay for your plan?

I doubt it'll be a charge for this. BUT...TBH I just wanna know when they will start enabling Facetime over LTE which i know they were Enabling on People iPhones; cause i know there was a petition sent to the FCC about this.
    Last edited by AKCHRIS; 04-01-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,468 Times in 2,704 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    If T-Mobile brings LTE to my area before AT&T, I'm jumping ship. Even though I have an grandfathered unlimited data plan, and with my govt employee discount, I still have to pay for unlimited text messages. I pay around $80/month right now with only 450 mins which I never go over. In fact, I have thousands of roll over minutes every year. I can probably get away with T-mobile's lowest plan of $50/month unlimited.
    Tmobile needs 3G lol

Thanks

Were they waiting until everyone only texted before they did this?

Thanks

Of course and extra charge..you know how AT&T rolls. I mean look at the data plans..$50+ in some cases. I said it once and i'll say it again, data will one day cost more than voice..its fast approaching. Im wondering if you can call an AT&T iPHone 5 from a Tmo iPhone 5 and have it work eventually? As of press, looks like Tmo to Tmo and AT&T to AT&T...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

Be prepared for HD Audio Plans starting at $15/mo with AT&T, smh

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MgNate View Post
    The only ppl i call are grandma on her LAN line And to call into work. Grandma can't hear anyways and the worst I sound to my boss when I'm calling in the better off I am lol. This is definitely a feature I could live without. Sprint needs to focus on spreading LTE
    Your Grandma uses VoIP on a LAN?

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Of course and extra charge..you know how AT&T rolls. I mean look at the data plans..$50+ in some cases. I said it once and i'll say it again, data will one day cost more than voice..its fast approaching. Im wondering if you can call an AT&T iPHone 5 from a Tmo iPhone 5 and have it work eventually? As of press, looks like Tmo to Tmo and AT&T to AT&T...
    Voice will be universally IP-packetized soon enough, so it won't really matter. What they will be essentially doing is providing, at minimum, a two-class service, one for voice and one for non-voice (read: data). The VoIP traffic is going to get the preferential treatment and if you want any kind of guarantees for your non-voice (data) IP traffic, you're going to pay a premium for it. Essentially, we're all going to be on a kind of 'junior enterprise SLA' for voice and data. It makes their job a lot easier. As for Tmo-Tmo/ATT-ATT, I wouldn't worry about that as there currently is no carrier-carrier mobile connection in use: everything goes into their wired network, gets switched and sent over to other carriers through the traditional method. If ATT (GSM) mobile customers can call Verizon (CDMA) mobile customers today, it won't be any different when they move to LTE.
    Last edited by quidam_brujah; 04-02-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eightyk88 View Post
    Phones that use the same radio wave for LTE and whichever tech is used for voice can and do simultaneous voice and data. The iPhone has separate chipsets for CDMA and LTE/gsm alas too much work for the Verizon and sprint iPhones also confusing as much more plays into this, but a software update cannot fix it. It's the hardware apple put into it to make it easier to manufacture for all Carriers.

It is because how GSM and CDMA work that prevent CDMA networks from allowing data and voice simultaneously. With GSM the cellular spectrum in each region is split up into chunks and different data and voice channels are assigned to those chunks of spectrum. The users are then split up within those voice and data chunks using time division multiplexing. With CDMA the users all use the entire spectrum for the region and are assigned a code which the signal uses to encode itself. Because the users are using the entire spectrum there is no separate channels for voice and data. If a user wants to use data they have to end their voice "session".

There are ways around this within the LTE standard that allow simultaneous voice and data, by using more or less VoIP over a data channel. This in affects changes everything to data instead of some voice and some data.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    +10

Thanks

Technically you can if your on wifi.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Thanks

More than likely, it will be available on shared data plans.