Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Next 2 iPhone Models Were Designed Under Steve Jobs

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,852
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

    Default Next 2 iPhone Models Were Designed Under Steve Jobs


    A fascinating revelation about Apple's future iPhone refreshes initially went under the radar last week. But now that the news has had time to circulate, it's becoming a big story.

    San Francisco District Attorney George Gascón - a man on a mission to cut down on cell phone related robberies in his neck of the woods - admits being disappointed to learn that Apple won't be able to initiate a so-called "kill switch" any time soon.

    The kill switch, which can be remotely activated by a consumer if a cell phone is lost or stolen, won't find a home on the next two iPhone refreshes because those models have already been designed - under Steve Jobs. That admission comes directly from Apple’s government liaison Michael Foulkes.

    Gascón said Foulkes discussed the long and laborious process of researching and producing a kill-switch technology for devices, and also said the next two generations of iPhones have already been developed. “They preceded Tim Cook,” the district attorney said he was told of the future iPhones.
    For now, Gascón says he will continue working to persuade the telecommunications industry to implement technology capable of disabling cellphones and tablets after they are reported stolen.

    iPhone were involved in half of all of San Francisco's robberies last year.

    Source: San Francisco Examiner

  2. #2
    Hum! let me think about this. Phone is stolen, user will be able to log in and not just wipe the data but FRY IT?! Well, that would certainly work and be much more effective than those carrier platforms that only block the ESNs/IMEI/Serial Numbers from the network since not all carriers, um, China cough, cough, have these network blocking platforms in place. Yep, this would actually work over time to reduce street crime, scamers, gamers, frauders that rob people and flip a quick sale on Craig's list or a pawn shop...

  3. #3
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,741
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    How do that many people get their phones lost/stolen? I have a number of forgetful/overly trusting family members and none of them have ever lost theirs or had it stolen.

  4. #4
    Does that means that my iPhone 5 and future "iPhone 5S" were under Steve Jobs design? No wonder they are elegant.

    #Cool design

  5. #5
    You would expect this, given time for development and design. Need a fair amount of lead time.
    Some features could be added

    I am guessing this is why the iPhone 5 did not get wider. That would be against Jobs nature of fitting in your hand. He did not like to bend to mass opinion

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by garfielgato2 View Post
    Does that means that my iPhone 5 and future "iPhone 5S" were under Steve Jobs design? No wonder they are elegant.

    #Cool design
    Yes it was this was reported long ago around the time of the iPhone 4S release.

    Also if this is true I could see how they would release them if the designs are completely different.

    So basically this year would just be the iphone 5S then next year would be Jobs future idesign#1 year later Jobs future idesign#1S...Then year later Jobs future idesign#2 and a year after that Jobs future idesign#2S.

    Nice way to burn 2 model designs over the next 4-5years.

  7. #7
    iPhone? More like MyPhone rkisling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Franicisco
    Posts
    180
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    How do that many people get their phones lost/stolen? I have a number of forgetful/overly trusting family members and none of them have ever lost theirs or had it stolen.
    Over half of the street robberies are smartphones in San Francisco - I suspect this rate is similar nationwide. In 2012, there were at least three murders associated with smartphone robberies in the US. I believe eliminating the value of a stolen smartphone would significantly reduce theft and violence associated with smartphones and I would like to see this sooner rather than later.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    How do that many people get their phones lost/stolen? I have a number of forgetful/overly trusting family members and none of them have ever lost theirs or had it stolen.
    I agree my phone is with me at all times and never more then arms reach away unless im at home. but this should help the fanboys who were losing faith in apple that good ole steve took care of them

  9. #9
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,266
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 146 Times in 124 Posts

    I'm worried about the iPhone after the last two under Steve's watch are out. Though I know Ives and Jobs both have/had great taste for design, so hopefully Ives will continue to create elegant iPhones.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
    He did not like to bend to mass opinion
    Where do you get that "mass opinion" is wanting a phone that's too big to use without two hands? Give me factual statistics that the mass majority of the world wants a phone so big it should be called a tablet. Jobs was a great inventor and the idea of being a great inventor is that you understand what your customers need better than they do and that you don't chase every little feature that some idiot on a forum wines he wishes the phone had. If you want a giant useless phone go get a note and get off of the apple forums.

  11. #11
    The pessimist side of me says that this is all part of planned obsolescence. What if this feature becomes the selling point of the 6S, which would be the model after the next two?

  12. #12
    Livin the iPhone Life slim.jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    1,011
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked 128 Times in 98 Posts

    Does the kill switch kill the phone or the thief? I'm hoping for the latter.

  13. #13
    Default Designed Under Steve Jobs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post


    A fascinating revelation about Apple's future iPhone refreshes initially went under the radar last week. But now that the news has had time to circulate, it's becoming a big story.

    San Francisco District Attorney George Gascón - a man on a mission to cut down on cell phone related robberies in his neck of the woods - admits being disappointed to learn that Apple won't be able to initiate a so-called "kill switch" any time soon.

    The kill switch, which can be remotely activated by a consumer if a cell phone is lost or stolen, won't find a home on the next two iPhone refreshes because those models have already been designed - under Steve Jobs. That admission comes directly from Apple’s government liaison Michael Foulkes.



    For now, Gascón says he will continue working to persuade the telecommunications industry to implement technology capable of disabling cellphones and tablets after they are reported stolen.

    iPhone were involved in half of all of San Francisco's robberies last year.

    Source: San Francisco Examiner
    So Apple still wants to market on Steve Jobs name. First they made sure that everyone bought 4S with the sympathy. Then they announced that Jobs actually did not work on 4S. Later while 5 was released no mention of it. Now they want to 'cash in' next 2 models. Ha ha. I guess they foresee the losing market and want to hold the grip.

  14. #14
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,741
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by lokenj88 View Post
    Where do you get that "mass opinion" is wanting a phone that's too big to use without two hands? Give me factual statistics that the mass majority of the world wants a phone so big it should be called a tablet. Jobs was a great inventor and the idea of being a great inventor is that you understand what your customers need better than they do and that you don't chase every little feature that some idiot on a forum wines he wishes the phone had. If you want a giant useless phone go get a note and get off of the apple forums.
    Great innovator, not inventor.

  15. #15
    Default me too
    Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    Does the kill switch kill the phone or the thief? I'm hoping for the latter.
    nuke em while you're at it

  16. #16
    Although m an apple fan boy through and through, this is just sick! They want people to believe that even the next two generations of iphones were designed before jobs bode farewell to the world simply because they want to appeal to the emotions of that group of people who thought that Apple was apple only till the time it was under jobs. Without him, the company wud fall apart.
    Great marketing but inhuman tactics to appeal to the consumer.

    If jobs iphone till the 5s or whatever generation had been already designed, then the screen size refresh
    wouldve taken place in the 4s.
    Jobs wudnt have tried to release an inferior device just so that they could launch a better one next year and accumulate even more profit.
    So stop making a fool out of the world. Jobs is gone. Now the best that u can do is work with as much passion and conviction as he had. Let his work inspire you. Dont use his hard work to fill your pockets.

  17. #17
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,741
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Mohit555 View Post
    If jobs iphone till the 5s or whatever generation had been already designed, then the screen size refresh
    wouldve taken place in the 4s.
    Jobs wudnt have tried to release an inferior device just so that they could launch a better one next year and accumulate even more profit.
    You really think companies release the best possible version of their product they could design each year?

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Lohand View Post
    Hum! let me think about this. Phone is stolen, user will be able to log in and not just wipe the data but FRY IT?! Well, that would certainly work and be much more effective than those carrier platforms that only block the ESNs/IMEI/Serial Numbers from the network since not all carriers, um, China cough, cough, have these network blocking platforms in place. Yep, this would actually work over time to reduce street crime, scamers, gamers, frauders that rob people and flip a quick sale on Craig's list or a pawn shop...
    then comes along some low life hacker who figured out how he can kill switch millions of phones with just one finger--now millions of people have phones that can never be used again. I prefer just calling the carrier and having it blocked that way., or unblocked if its recovered.

  19. #19
    Livin the iPhone Life slim.jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    1,011
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked 128 Times in 98 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    then comes along some low life hacker who figured out how he can kill switch millions of phones with just one finger--now millions of people have phones that can never be used again. I prefer just calling the carrier and having it blocked that way., or unblocked if its recovered.
    Yea it's very easy to just call the carrier and block the IMEI number from ever being used again.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Great innovator, not inventor.
    True point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •