+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS App Store Adopts the New In-App Purchase Indicator

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Following the countless accidental iTunes bills stemming from unintentional in-app purchases, Apple started displaying in the App Store whether or not the application had in-app purchases right under the price
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iOS App Store Adopts the New In-App Purchase Indicator

Following the countless accidental iTunes bills stemming from unintentional in-app purchases, Apple started displaying in the App Store whether or not the application had in-app purchases right under the price tag of the application about a week ago. Notably, the feature was only available for the desktop version of the App Store.

It would appear that over the course of the last week, Apple has finished rolling out the same feature for the mobile App Store on iOS. As shown above, any applications with in-app purchases now show the same line of text saying, “Offers in-app purchases” right under the rating of the application.

Notably, Apple was able to change this without issuing an iOS update:

The ‘freemium’ style of App Store applications is becoming more popular as time goes on. A freemium application is a free application that offers purchasable content to speed up the game, or to unlock new features that might otherwise not be available or might take a lot of time to unlock without buying.

It’s good to see that Apple is taking steps to help make it more obvious when in-app purchases are available. Many of the scenarios in the past dealing with accidental iTunes bills stem from the fact that the App Store says the application is free and so a child might think that the in-app purchase is free as well.

Sources: App Store
    Thanks for the tip Bill!
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 04-01-2013 at 10:49 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Wow that's been out since two weeks ago. I even posted a thread about it two weeks ago when it first came out.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

They were able to change it because the App Store runs off of html5. That's why it runs so slowly now. Even on my iPhone 5 and iPad 4, it loads slowly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lilrican21 View Post
    Wow that's been out since two weeks ago. I even posted a thread about it two weeks ago when it first came out.
    Yea this has been out for a while.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in the articles is that in-app purchases can be restricted in settings. You would think in at least one of the last few articles it would have been mentioned: uk policemans son, app store makes it easier to tell when apps have in-app purchases 3/22, new in-app purchases indicator 4/1.

settings -> general -> restrictions (enable) -> in-app purchases
    Last edited by djw630; 04-01-2013 at 12:53 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ABOSWORTH's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lilrican21 View Post
    Silence... The great Bouchard has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by djw630 View Post
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned in the articles is that in-app purchases can be restricted in settings. You would think in at least one of the last few articles it would have been mentioned: uk policemans son, app store makes it easier to tell when apps have in-app purchases 3/22, new in-app purchases indicator 4/1.

settings -> general -> restrictions (enable) -> in-app purchases
    Good point. I turned mine off ages ago. Funny how so many people don't fully explore their phones and all the options.