+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: T-Mobile Offers 'HD Voice' with iPhone 5

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 564 Posts

Default T-Mobile Offers 'HD Voice' with iPhone 5

On Tuesday, T-Mobile confirmed that it will finally begin carrying the iPhone next month. It goes without saying that T-Mobile will have to play catch up in the iPhone sales war transpiring among the nation's top wireless carriers.

Naturally, T-Mobile is doing everything in its power to promote the iPhone on its network. That means touting some unique attributes that come with being an iPhone-owning T-Mobile subscriber. According to today's announcement, the fourth largest carrier is talking up the added luxury of "HD voice" that iPhone users will enjoy through T-Mobile.

With HD Voice calls, the carrier says, you will have “crystal-clear high-definition calling and significantly reduced background noise.”

T-Mobile CEO John Legere says "HD Voice" represents a significant improvement over voice quality standards on other networks. As long as both connected parties are on a T-Mobile 4G smartphone connected to either the carrier's 3G, 4G HSPA+, or 4G LTE network, the "HD Voice" experience is theirs to enjoy.

The iPhone 5 debuts on T-Mobile's network April 12 for $99 with 2 years of monthly payments of $20.

Source: T-Mobile

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

Sucks that both people have to be on T-Mobile's network.
    Last edited by regkilla; 03-26-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Thanks
    ive been on my iphone3s for over 2 yrs not a problem,people bad mouth t-mobile about dropped calls ect, never had that issue, ill be deff upgrading to an iphone 5 now, only problem now will be waiting for a new jailbreak for 6.1.3, which 10-1 the new phones will ship with.just a matter of time before evasi0n krew figures it out.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,332 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by regkilla View Post
    Yeah and seems everything has to be perfect

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I'm guessing this will be a data connection phone call without counting against data plans. I've noticed that FaceTime calls are a lot clearer than regular phone calls and I will do it whenever possible if I'm going to have a long conversation. I just mute the video and use audio and it works great.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yea I can't wait already got the cash to jump on that contract 😁

szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by regkilla View Post
    That's not really T-Mobile's fault, as the quality of any given call, regardless of carrier, can only be as good as the worst of both (or all, when in a conference call) participants. If one person has a sub-par phone or their service lacking or reception poor, then what they hear and send will reflect that. So even if your device and service have superior quality, if you're calling someone who is using the cheapest flip-phone that was available, then the call quality will only be as good as what said cheap phone can transmit.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Also, this makes the iPhone 5 cheaper than buying an unlocked one directly from Apple.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

"I got to test it out the HD Audio and it sounded great but was hard to differentiate in the crowded hall from regular calls. The true test will be when I get to use it with headphones in quiet environments which we hope to try out in the coming weeks."

From 925mac.

How many people use headphones for calls?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I really, really hope the iphone will have support for tmobiles wifi calling feature that is on most of the android and bb phones they sell. That is such a killer feature that I don't understand why any or the other carriers don't offer. It takes strain off the network when users are on wifi. And calls are crystal clear. Hopefully they will be able to get it as an app put up on apples App Store. I think the android version is available thru google play. Can't wait for iPhone 5 goodness on tmobiles trusty 3G/4g network!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hackerd00d View Post
    ive been on my iphone3s for over 2 yrs not a problem,people bad mouth t-mobile about dropped calls ect, never had that issue, ill be deff upgrading to an iphone 5 now, only problem now will be waiting for a new jailbreak for 6.1.3, which 10-1 the new phones will ship with.just a matter of time before evasi0n krew figures it out.
    This is because call quality in terms of signal reliabilty while mobile, varies on the micro scale when compared to nationwide coverage. Carriers advertise how strong their network is by showing how saturated the map of our nation is. This leaves out the several outliers (forested areas, changing geography, weather, etc.)that affect the signal one's device is operating on. As one travels from area to area, their device is constantly searching for new cell sites to link to. As new sites become far apart or interupted by these outliers, the device has a harder time staying connected to the cell site until it finds another or disconnects from a lost signal.

Now the signal that the device is operating on can only do as good as all the devices communicating on it. Some devices don't have the capability to connect to certain frequencies.

What this all means is that there are far too many variables affecting EACH communication on all the different signals surrounding us to accurately state how good one COMPLETE network is compared to another (especially with all the different carriers that our population is spread out around). It, if anything, depends on the individual and their traveling habits while mobile or how close certain cell sites are to their home or work or wherever they are using it. Signal is a GREAT jailbreak tweak to have if you're interested to see just how well your carrier covers you in, indidually, wherever you are in the nation. The companies are trying to cover everything but they can't have it all, and where one device or frequency can work with one carrier doesn't mean that any network or device can operate as efficiently on it.

Lengthy, I know, but I'm just trying to shed more light on the false carrier war that competing companies like so much.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    "I got to test it out the HD Audio and it sounded great but was hard to differentiate in the crowded hall from regular calls. The true test will be when I get to use it with headphones in quiet environments which we hope to try out in the coming weeks."

From 925mac.

How many people use headphones for calls?
    Lots of people use headphones for calls! I see people jogging/running/walking with headphones in talking to others all the time. People who use certain hands-free devices have headphones in. It's definitely not uncommon. I am curious about the quality with headphones too.

Thanks

Slightly off topic, but as I understand it the iPhone 5 does not support 4G or T-Mobile LTE so that will be a bummer in itself. Unless this spectrum refarming is done very quickly many will be stuck with 2G speed with that fancy HD voice ;-)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

its not 20 payments of $20, please fix this. it's 24 payments of $20

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

T-Mobile is really coming out swinging on this one. Awesome if you ask me. They are in the process of refarming their 2G towers to support the iPhone and the LTE that they are rolling out immediately, will natively support iPhone 5. Where LTE is unavailable, the phone will still be able to do 4G where the reframing has occurred. The 2G thing will be a non issue by the end of 2013 for most major markets.

Also, if the deal goes through to acquire MetroPCS, many more towers will be added to the network, increasing speed and coverage.

I'm excited to see what happens! I personally don't think any of the other carriers will be able to touch the craftiness and scrappiness of t-mobile.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    I'm guessing this will be a data connection phone call without counting against data plans. I've noticed that FaceTime calls are a lot clearer than regular phone calls and I will do it whenever possible if I'm going to have a long conversation. I just mute the video and use audio and it works great.
    How, exactly, do you "mute the video?"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Fofer For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (03-27-2013)

Thanks

I am happy they finally have the iPhone. I still think there is a lot of "fine print" here. What are the monthly service options? You're paying $20 on top of the monthly service charge? I'd rather pay $199 up front and have them rape me with service add ons hahaha!

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
    Hit the home button.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
    Close your eyes

Thanks

or just use Skype on LTE for the same effect.

Sounds awesome

Since you pretty much can only use it with people that have the same tmobile Set up...