Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HBO Considers Offering Online Subscription Through HBO Go Streaming Service

Thanks

Default HBO Considers Offering Online Subscription Through HBO Go Streaming Service

The premium network HBO, which is currently available to paying cable TV subscribers, could possibly change their model through the company’s HBO Go streaming service in the future. The company first gave signs that it may be willing to shake up its business model in an interview with Reuters. The comments that were made were done so by HBO Chief Executive Richard Plepler, who said that HBO Go could “evolve” with broadband partners.

Although HBO Go currently requires users to have an HBO subscription through a cable TV provider, the network’s CEO admitted that the company could package HBO Go with monthly Internet services through broadband partners, many of which are the same cable TV providers. Pleper said customers could pay roughly $10 or $15 per month (about the same price as a regular cable-only HBO subscription) as part of their Internet bill to have access to their network. One thing that did need to be resolved was the financial aspect behind the whole ordeal, as the network and its broadband partners would “have to make the math work” before such a program could be made available.

HBO’s interest and willingness to shake things up comes as competition continues to rise among Web-based media providers such as Netflix and Amazon, which have both begun producing their own original content available only to paid subscribers. An example of this Is Netflix’s recently found success with “House of Cards” a political thriller starring Kevin Spacey and produced by director David Fincher, with the same level of quality viewers see with HBO’s own programming.

We’ll have to wait and see what HBO ends up doing by being patient.

Source: Reuters

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Netflix is still cheaper.

Would be nice to see someone take a leap and potentially change the way cable/satellite tv is structured. Delivering it via Internet is obviously a viable method so the question appears to be if can they cut ties the incumbent signal delivery companies.

HBO still can't see the forest for the trees. Netflix, Hulu and Amazon are at a $8 price point and are not aligned with any ISP. If the decide to implement the business plan as laid out it will fail. Streaming is freeing viewer from costly cable and satellite plans.

House of Cards on Netflix is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by punjabi212 View Post
    House of Cards on Netflix is really good.
    Yes it was ! Watched twice Kevin Spacey is phenomenal

This would have me thinking at $10 a month. HBO has a lot of great content, obviously not as MUCH as Netflix/Amazon/Hulu but it's never going to integrate with any of those so it's not really worth talking about. HBO will always be one thing, premium. It'll always be its own entity. People have been asking for an HBO Go only option since it was introduced, so I'm confident that this would work and also really set a precedent for an a la carte channel system.

Thanks

So as an already paying customer to hbo, would this be an additional fee to use this app
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

So as an already paying customer to hbo, would this be an additional fee to use this app

No it's free

Netflix has more content yes, but 99.9% is random crap. You get all HBO shows and all seasons through their streaming app. Plus comedy, movies and more. I'd drop netflix in a heart beat and keep HBO and Hulu. Roughly $20 a month and no need for Cable!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I love using HBO Go! Of course I get it for free because I have Comcast cable....but still they always have a ton of new and old movies that are awesome! I think their movie choice is better than Netflix and Hulu a lot of the time! So if they could come out with a comparative price it would definitely be worth it!

Even though I won't subscribe I hope they do it to get the ball rolling for other channels. I assume they would show more current episodes than Netflix or Amazon. It was interesting that they stated charging customers through their ISP, would this include their mobile carrier? Sounds like they don't want Apple to get a cut by just going through iTunes/App Store which would be the logical choice.

They still don't get it, we don't want it as a package with other services, just offer us a standalone subscription, like Netflix, Hulu, etc. offers. They don't need to go through the iTunes/App store to do that either.