+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Report Claims Cheaper iPhone to Lack Retina Display

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple's cheaper iPhone could revert to a plastic casing like the iPhone 3G and 3GS of yesteryear. Apple’s much rumored lower-cost iPhone could lack a Retina Display as one of
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New Report Claims Cheaper iPhone to Lack Retina Display

Apple's cheaper iPhone could revert to a plastic casing like the iPhone 3G and 3GS of yesteryear.

Apple’s much rumored lower-cost iPhone could lack a Retina Display as one of the cost-cutting measures according to a new report by RBC Capital Markets analyst Amit Daryanani.

Daryanani’s report comes in direct contrast to reports from the traditionally reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has claimed numerous times the new cheaper iPhone will retain the same 326ppi resolution as other Retina Displays.

Daryanani’s supply chain checks further place the release of such a device in June or July alongside the rumored iPhone 5S.

"Our supply-chain checks indicate that AAPL is working to launch multiple new phones in the June/July time-frame this year. Specifically, AAPL will launch the iPhone 5s and a more affordable but lower-end iPhone at the same time, in either late CYQ2 or early Q3. The low-end iPhone will have the same 4" form factor as the iPhone 5 but will have plastic casing and no retina display. With a lower price-point, AAPL will be able to target a growing and important part of the Smartphone market (sub-$400 price-band)." -- Amit Daryanani
    The inclination that Apple would release a cheaper, possibly plastic-cased, version of their iPhone is not far-fetched. However, the idea that they would release an iPhone with a lower resolution display after announcing to developers that all apps submitted to the App store must support both Retina Displays on the iPhone 4, and larger iPhone 5 as of May first seems counter-intuitive.

A lower-cost iPhone is likely on the way, but when and in what form is still up in the air. And for those pointing to iPhone 4s available for free with a two-year contract should understand Apple is gearing the cheaper iPhone toward markets where carrier subsidies are uncommon or non-existent.

Sources: Macrumors

Thanks
    Thanked 2,056 Times in 924 Posts

"New Report claims cheaper iPhone to lack: Retina Display, a Screen, any Hardware, and a Body"!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

Mohit555 (03-23-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It's fake, apple just released a policy of apps to be updates for I5 devices to support its retina display. I highly doubt apple wants to screw over their customers

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,647 Times in 692 Posts

Why would someone buy a cheaper iPhone with a plastic case and non retina display when you can get last years model cheap with better features and retina. I just don't get all of these rumors of a cheap iPhone when every year they do there price adjustment. So the 5S will come out this yr, so the 5 will be at a discounted price with limit memory models. And the 4S will move to the Freebee phone or .99 lol

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexthesniper21 View Post
    It's fake, apple just released a policy of apps to be updates for I5 devices to support its retina display. I highly doubt apple wants to screw over their customers
    Damn good point lol!! True true. You sir are a genius!

Thanks

Hmmm..All of the droids come with plastic bodies and they are fetching $400+ for them. What they don't sacrifice is the screen in most cases. Wonder how the "inferior" iPhone IMO will fare? Guess we'll have to wait and see :]

Thanks

Yep, exactly. Not happening

Green Apple
    Thanks

They need somehow to cut the price otherwise they will loose out to better phones like the Samsun.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hmmm if there is a low cost iphone coming out, I wonder if there will even be a market here in the US.

Thanks

If you believe this, you're retarded. It's basically an iPhone 3GS!!!! Why would happen have a whole event just for old technology? Doing this makes absolutely no sense.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    "New Report claims cheaper iPhone to lack: Retina Display, a Screen, any Hardware, and a Body"!!!

"!!![/QUOTE] we already have a cheaper i phone it is the 4s and soon to be the i phone 5!

Thanks
    Thanked 15,189 Times in 6,972 Posts

Highly doubtful. Way more likely is a iPhone 5S with specs bump and no second iPhone.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

New report claims a new report about a cheaper iPhone has happened about every 6 months since 2007. Another new report shows that every consecutive year there already has been a cheaper iPhone released called last years model.

Sometimes I'm surprised that when I type modmyi.com in my browser that it doesn't redirect to TMZ.com...

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Some of the posters here don't realize that the iPhone 4 is not $0.99. It's $0.99 with a 2 year contract. What Apple might be working on is a $100 phone with no contract. I, however, am not interested in that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Thanks

This sounds a lot like....oh apple's marketing strategy.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Apple already had a cheaper iphone. It's called the iPhone 4 and it's free!

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,429 Times in 6,368 Posts

Bingo!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

The upcoming cheaper iPhone will be the iPhone 5 when the 5s is released.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

APPLE DOESN'T MAKE ANY FREE IPHONE MODELS!!! What is wrong with everybody????????

21. The Following User Says Thank You to katheikia For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (03-23-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

\open{rant}
    I am surprised (well, not really) how much people are completely clueless. There is no (and never will be) a $0.99 iPhone. You are paying for it by paying a lot more with your 2 year contract. Get it? Get it? Get it? Hello? Anybody in there (knocking on someone's skull to see if there is a brain inside). A $100 priced (real price, not fake for dumb) iphone would sell well. As for retina: probably > 75% of the people can't tell the difference (I can't at normal distance, my eyesight at 45 is not as good as at 20).
    \close{rant}

23. The Following User Says Thank You to cpotoso For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (03-23-2013)