Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Deny Apps Using UDID Data and Lacking iPhone 5 Display Support Starting May 1

Thanks

Default Apple to Deny Apps Using UDID Data and Lacking iPhone 5 Display Support Starting May 1

Apple recently announced to its developers that apps using UDIDs will no longer be accepted by the App Store. The new rule is effective starting May 1 and adds that titles lacking support for the iPhone 5ís 4-inch display will also be rejected. As noted by The Next Web, the move comes over a year of warnings from Apple regarding third-party use of Unique Device Identifiers, which are usually leveraged to track users for advertising purposes.

The Cupertino California company sent the following notice to developers:

Starting May 1, the App Store will no longer accept new apps or app updates that access UDIDs. Please update your apps and servers to associate users with the Vendor or Advertising identifiers introduced in iOS 6.

Starting May 1, new apps and app updates submitted to the App Store must be built for iOS devices with Retina display and iPhone apps must also support the 4-inch display on iPhone 5.
    Since every cellular-connected mobile device has a UDID, the identifier can be used as a tool for advertisers looking to get the most granular data regarding ad impressions. Mounting concern over privacy issues, including location tracking on iOS 4, ultimately prompted Apple to begin moving away from the use of identifiers. In March of last year, Apple started to tighten access to UDIDs, reportedly initiating App Store rejections for apps using the per-device information. This move came after a previous warning that UDID access would be cut off with the release of iOS 5. As far as the iPhone 5 screen support goes, Apple is ensuring a consistent experience for all iOS device users.

Source: Apple, The Next Web

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

A story so good it needed to be told twice?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I get really agitated when I buy an app and it doesn't fit my ip5 screen. I don't know why, I guess it's just a pet peeve. I'm glad apple is doing this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MgNate For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (03-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by runey71 View Post
    A story so good it needed to be told twice?
    I agree. This new guy sucks. Anthony already covered this.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Wish Apple would deny apps that are lame or stupid. 1 million apps in the App Store, 999,000 are useless.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buggsy2 For This Useful Post:

Miguelangelv (03-22-2013), ttiger (03-22-2013)

I have been denying Apps from Using UDID Data for years now. Why not throw in apps that track location, scan address book, calendar, sms, email and music collection/playlists (to provide the data to advertisers) into the mix? So Phil (Schiller), stop with the tweets bashing Android because not only did the F-secure study exclude "legitimate" apps but it also didn't include when the handset maker is the actual malware collecting a person's private information. Just Sayin...

P.S. Firewall-IP, PMP (Protect My Privacy), Ad blocker, PrivaCy etc. Stops all this nonsense! Jailbreak your iDevice and protect you neck, because Apple is not the friend they portray hard at work protecting your privacy...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by regkilla View Post
    This "new guy" has been around for a while. Take your comments elsewhere if your not interested in news. Have some respect

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmaboi21 For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (03-24-2013), joshlogic (03-23-2013)

Cydia needs to use this...

The Jailbreak tweak "FullForce" remedies the issue of full screen app support... It's very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by MgNate View Post
    I get really agitated when I buy an app and it doesn't fit my ip5 screen. I don't know why, I guess it's just a pet peeve. I'm glad apple is doing this.
    + 1

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post

Apple recently announced to its developers that apps using UDIDs will no longer be accepted by the App Hi.

Source: Apple, The Next Web
    Hi?

Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by regkilla View Post
    This "new guy" has been around for a while. Take your comments elsewhere if your not interested in news. Have some respect
    Agreed
    Last edited by wiipro; 03-24-2013 at 08:18 AM.