Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Smartphones May Come with Sapphire Displays in the Future

Thanks

Default Smartphones May Come with Sapphire Displays in the Future

Remember the days your iPhone would scratch so easily that you had to be extra careful with where you would place your phone? Well with the iPhone 5, Apple used anodized aluminum with inlays along the tops and bottoms made by pigmented glass (on black models) and ceramic glass (on white models) to replace the glass casing on the back. Sapphire crystals were also used to cover the back camera and according to Apple, are “far less likely to scratch” because the hardness comes second right after diamonds.

A new report by MIT Technology Review discusses the possibility of future smartphones having displays made completely of Sapphire to increase the longevity of phones. They also estimated that Sapphire crystals are about three times stronger than Gorilla Glass. The only problem is, the cost of Sapphire is far more expensive than Gorilla Glass:

Sapphire, a crystalline form of aluminum oxide, probably won’t ever be as cheap as Gorilla Glass, the durable material from Corning that’s used to make screens on iPhones and other smartphones. A Gorilla Glass display costs less than $3, while a sapphire display would cost about $30. But that could fall below $20 in a couple of years thanks to increased competition and improving technology, says Eric Virey, an analyst for the market research firm Yole Développement. And since sapphire performs better than glass, that price could make it cheap enough to compete, he says.
    Does this mean we will have phones that won’t scratch no matter where we drop them and will be completely scratch-resistant? Eric Virey, an analyst from Yole Développement announces that some smartphones will have sapphire displays as early as this year and we wonder if iPhones are on that list.

One thing we do know is that we'll find out by being patient.

Source: MIT Technology Review
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 03-22-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

The above scenario indicates that there is a genuine demand in quality app development. With this reason being the motive factor, many iPhone application development companies are taking extra care to develop applications that meet the requirements of any user.

Thanks

Some corny, flashy, flossin, stinkin rich rappers and pop stars are gonna be getting diamond glass custom made for their phones... Cause they will be rich enough to have harder glass then the rest of our gorilla glass and sapphire screens...

So... on a $600 phone $20 is too expensive? WTF?

I don't know why this article never mentions the increased resistance to shattering as well as scratching.

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    I don't know why this article never mentions the increased resistance to shattering as well as scratching.
    I have a few expensive watches with sapphire crystals and they can still scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
    I have a few expensive watches with sapphire crystals and they can still scratch.
    Is the glass made entirely from sapphire? The article says that the new displays would be "made completely of sapphire."

Quote Originally Posted by iancarlesimo View Post
    The above scenario indicates that there is a genuine demand in quality app development. With this reason being the motive factor, many iPhone application development companies are taking extra care to develop applications that meet the requirements of any user.
    -1 COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC... wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    Yes, when the entire phone is manufactured for less the $200, that would represent MORE than 10% of the cost of the phone...just for the front glass (no LCD, etc)...no way Apple is spending $20 on the glass...NO WAY

Thanks
    Thanked 3,208 Times in 1,372 Posts

Forget Sapphire Display...I want a Uranium Display!

So we sometimes spend $20-$30 or more in cases and/or screen protectors.
    So I don't see an additional $20-$30 on the cost of the device a big deal if you don't need to get a pack of quality screen protectors or case.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    $20 times 100 million phones. Do the math.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Everybody knows unobtainium makes the best display screens.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post
    So we sometimes spend $20-$30 or more in cases and/or screen protectors.
    So I don't see an additional $20-$30 on the cost of the device a big deal if you don't need to get a pack of quality screen protectors or case.
    The thing is the cases and screen protectors are your cost the screen would be apples cost which would cut there profit margin by alot and apple likes to raise profit margins

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tizocman For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (03-22-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iancarlesimo View Post
    Say this in a Sheldon Cooper voice looool

I would absolutely love for apple to use a sapphire screen with the 5s. It would make buying that retarded screen a little bit better.

I just wonder where affording the longevity pays to have a screen that will outlast the phone's depreciation after another is introduced in the market to supercede it. As a new phone will be introduced as the next best thing, only those stuck in a contractual agreement will worry how long their phone screen will last them. I thought the nature of the game was to keep up with the Jones' not increase the life of their phonez

maybe there should be an app to remind people to handle their phone much gentler than normal- or to remind them to buy a protective case- or a nag screen???
    Last edited by camxposure; 03-22-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage I View Post
    Some corny, flashy, flossin, stinkin rich rappers and pop stars are gonna be getting diamond glass custom made for their phones... Cause they will be rich enough to have harder glass then the rest of our gorilla glass and sapphire screens...

+1. Not only they have Diamond glass iphone? They got Diamond glass on their house's,Car's,Boat,s N RV's... Need I Say More... They was born with a golden spoons, While we were born with a tooth picks...

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    $20 times 100 million phones. Do the math.
    It is still a small fraction of total volume of 100 million phones times $600. Just because a number is big does not make it relevant without context.

Quote Originally Posted by se23 View Post
    Say this in a Sheldon Cooper voice looool

BAZINGA!!!! lol

pass the cost onto the customer, sell a model upgrade, I promise $600 iphones will sell a lot slower than their $620 sapphire screen counter-part.
    Yeah, you'll be the coolest person in the room when you pull one out and show it around, but that gets old fast when three other people have them and one person somehow has one that glows in the dark.
    John C. Dvorak
    The American columnist and broadcaster in article 'Rethinking the iPhone' in PC Magazine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast