Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Starting May 1, Apple Will Stop Approving App Store Apps That Don't Meet New Guidelines

Default Starting May 1, Apple Will Stop Approving App Store Apps That Don't Meet New Guidelines

Apple has Thursday issued some new rules Thursday for developers using the App Store to host their creations. These new changes to the app submission process will take effect starting May 1st this year.

According to the new rules, Apps that aren’t iPhone 5-ready (supporting the larger display) and that don’t support the crisp retina display, will not be approved for the App Store. This move is to point developers in the right direction for keeping their applications up to date with all of Apple’s newest devices so that they’re in line with Apple’s iOS Human Interface Guidelines.

In addition, applications will not be approved to be in the App Store if they request access to the iOS device’s UDID. Instead, developers are being asked to "associate users with the Vendor or Advertising identifiers introduced in iOS 6." This move will help in user privacy issues that were brought up in the past.

One thing is for sure: it’s good to see that Apple will only start accepting applications that are ready for the iPhone 5 and iPod touch 5G’s four-inch display, because the App Store has a bunch of applications that don’t support it yet and this can be a frustrating event for users. Just today, about six long months after the iPhone 5 launch, Ookla updated their Speedtest.net application for the iPhone 5 display.

Hopefully Apple will make a move in the future to get developers to update their existing legacy applications too, but one can only dream of such events.

Sources: Apple via MacRumors
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 03-21-2013 at 09:12 PM.

Make everything compatible with the i5 or have your app pulled is all i heard from this

Finally! 4 inch support for all apps and games!

Could we see a bigger iPhone display?
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

Quote Originally Posted by highboi View Post
    Make everything compatible with the i5 or have your app pulled is all i heard from this
    Won't be pulled, just updates won't be pushed to users. Legacy apps, and apps submitted before this deadline will not be pulled, so you can still use those non - retina apps AND don't support the iPhone 5's four inch display you so dearly love but hate the quality ( I'm looking at you battle bears ) for as long as you like

They should've done this from the get-go, all the way back when they released retina display devices back in the summer of 2010. Of course I'm talking about the retina on applications and not the 4 inch at the time. Who else agrees?
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Nice, they should update justin.tv,

Thanks

I don't think it's necessarily a good measure, as far as iPhone 5 is concerned. Optimising games for the bigger screen can involve having to redo all graphics. If a game dev doesn't want to go through that effort (and let's face it, those who haven't done so by now, probably don't intend to do it at all), it means they can't update their game at all anymore. So I think some games might very well be abandoned now :/

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    They should've done this from the get-go, all the way back when they released retina display devices back in the summer of 2010. Of course I'm talking about the retina on applications and not the 4 inch at the time. Who else agrees?
    They should've but here's why they didn't, up until the iPhone 5 was released, you could still purchase a 3GS, a non retina phone. It was the "free on contract phone up until the 5 and now the 4 is the "free" on contract phone. So it wouldn't make sense to force these rules until they stopped selling non-retina devices for over half a year

I believe it's a good push. Out with the old and in with the new.

All I want is for EA to update Tetris to the iPhone 5 screen. They have the resources, there is no reason not to (But it's EA, so that's probably not gonna happen).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to xTorch For This Useful Post:

nienque (03-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar20 View Post
    I believe it's a good push. Out with the old and in with the new.
    until the app devs get to lazy to support 4(s) retina display thus forcing everyone to upgrade, i have a strong belief that this will happen

Quote Originally Posted by xTorch View Post
    All I want is for EA to update Tetris to the iPhone 5 screen. They have the resources, there is no reason not to (But it's EA, so that's probably not gonna happen).
    did you know that fullforce will make it the tetris full screen and it worked just fine.
    iPhone 4 Running on 5.1.1

I'm not rich so I don't need to buy a new phone with only little thing changes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    No one.