+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'LiveWallpaper' is Another Live Wallpaper Option for iOS

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 765 Posts

Default 'LiveWallpaper' is Another Live Wallpaper Option for iOS

Those staying up to date on their jailbreak tweaks may have noticed a new one called LiveWallpaper in Cydia recently. This tweak is actually a live wallpaper alternative for iOS if you’re into that sort of thing. Just last month, we showed you another live wallpaper solution called LivePapers.

LiveWallpaper, right off the bat, is a super simple live wallpaper solution. It’s free, and it doesn’t come with nearly the same amount of options as LivePapers did.

The tweak adds an application icon to your home screen so that you can configure the live wallpaper you want to use. The tweak can be used with downloadable live wallpapers (such as Sakura, shown above) that are available in Cydia, or you can set non-live widescreen wallpapers via your Camera Roll as your home screen wallpaper and it will act a lot like Paul Griffin’s popular Parallax jailbreak tweak, where the widescreen wallpaper scrolls along with your pages on the home screen:

Basically, you just launch that application, and pick the wallpaper you want to use. The top selector is meant for live wallpapers, such as the Sakura one pictured, while the bottom selector is meant for picking widescreen wallpapers from your Camera Roll.

Tapping on the Settings button at the top right will bring up the option for you to keep the first page on your home screen blank, which is great for people that use Dashboard X widgets, or iWidgets. Tapping on the more button will lead you to Cydia, performing a Cydia search for more live wallpapers – currently, Sakura is the only live wallpaper in Cydia right now, and is also free.

These wallpapers are not just videos. They are truly live. You can tap on the home screen and the wallpapers will respond to your touch. If you opt for the widescreen wallpaper, which isn't live, then it won't respond to your touch, however the application allows you to edit that widescreen wallpaper locally to your liking before you set it.

Important to note right off the bat, the application appears to only change the wallpaper for the home screen, it doesn’t appear to work for the lock screen wallpaper like LivePapers does. Some people may have an issue with this, but those only looking to customize their home screens won’t be affected by this very much.

If you’re interested in giving this tweak a try, it’s available right now in Cydia’s BigBoss repository for free. It doesn’t appear to have very much impact on battery life, it doesn’t appear to cause much lag, and it’s compatible with both iOS 5 and iOS 6. Apart from the application icon on the home screen, the tweak doesn’t come with any options to configure.

Name: LiveWallpaper
    Price: FREE
    Version: 2.0
    Requirements: iOS 5+
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: DDT
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Simon (03-21-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,189 Times in 6,972 Posts

Saw this yesterday and wasn't sure so thought I'd wait til a review or something came out for it. Think ill stick with livepapers for now but good to know there are alternatives out there.

Thanks

There is a weird thing that happens when you go to the spotlight page. It's like there is a still image of your wallpaper in the background but it is shifted about 30px up so you get a double image.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Here is My review!
    If you looking for scrolling background... this is the only one... nice, smooth and blank page option is useful.

BUT!!!... if you want animated background... 100% a No No... it mess up when folder are opened... it does happen with scrolling background too.. but like l said you got no choice.... however, for animated bg... Live Paper is the one to go... nicely done with it custom bg.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

if this had more than just the sakura wallpaper I would love it. I like how the background responds to you touching it. I'm going to leave it on for a few days probably.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iRevival View Post
    if this had more than just the sakura wallpaper I would love it. I like how the background responds to you touching it. I'm going to leave it on for a few days probably.
    There a quite a few others to download.

Edit: never-mind those are just themes.
    Last edited by slim.jim; 03-21-2013 at 08:09 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I like this but how can I add more live wallpapers?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atorres062 View Post
    I like this but how can I add more live wallpapers?
    Basically, just wait for more to appear on Cydia.

Banned
    Thanks

I tried it but it doesn't work for more than 2 pages. I have 3 so it looks stupid when I go to the 3rd page as it shows half this and half the original background.

Thanks

It is very simple but Aqua Live Wallpaper made my iTouch 5 crash. vWallpaper needs to come back as they had tons of cool video wallpapers to choose from :]

What's Jailbreak? Mannyphantom46's Avatar
    Thanks

Vwallpaper was the best.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ABOSWORTH's Avatar
    Thanks

I tried this tweak and I don't like it. It screwed up all of my icons and moved them all over and created a blank first page. I'm deleting it and sticking with Livepaper for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mannyphantom46 View Post
    Vwallpaper was the best.
    I liked it but it was kind of buggy. If I locked my phone, then woke it up, I'd see the home screen wallpaper for a split second and then I'd see the lock screen one. That drove me crazy so I had to have them both the same. I wish they would updated it. I haven't tried it on iOS6 yet but I know it doesn't work right because my brother in law has problems with it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Saw this yesterday and wasn't sure so thought I'd wait til a review or something came out for it. Think ill stick with livepapers for now but good to know there are alternatives out there.
    Has livepapers added more clips? There's only 2 to choose from last I checked.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hondamaker View Post
    Has livepapers added more clips? There's only 2 to choose from last I checked.
    Nope, still just the 2.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mannyphantom46 View Post
    Vwallpaper was the best.
    I disagree. Being that they were just looping videos, they were sort of boring and repetitive.

I think LivePapers is the best. It offers the highest-quality so far and they're interactive.

Thanks

Vwallpaper has always been buggy since the beginning. Livepapers definitely got the concept and execution right. Now they just need more variety/options.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
    I tried this tweak and I don't like it. It screwed up all of my icons and moved them all over and created a blank first page. I'm deleting it and sticking with Livepaper for now.

I liked it but it was kind of buggy. If I locked my phone, then woke it up, I'd see the home screen wallpaper for a split second and then I'd see the lock screen one. That drove me crazy so I had to have them both the same. I wish they would updated it. I haven't tried it on iOS6 yet but I know it doesn't work right because my brother in law has problems with it.
    I had the same problem. Locked my phone, unlocked it, it showed my previous static wallpaper. And when I opened up an app, the Falling Sakura will then start. I'm using LivePapers for my lockscreen (homescreen off/lockscreen on)and LiveWallpaper for homescreen. Hope a fix will be coming soon.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It appears you cannot run 3DBoard and LivePapers simultaneously. LivePapers just operates over the top of everything else, so you don't get the 3D effect. If you disable/uninstall LivePages, 3DBoard returns to normal...

I've confirmed this same behavior is true with 3DBoard alternative, DeepEnd. Bummer :/