+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WhatsApp Messenger to become Subscription Based by End of 2013

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default WhatsApp Messenger to become Subscription Based by End of 2013

The popular cross-platform messaging app that many of us have come to depend on, WhatsApp, is planning to revise its current one-time purchase fee for iOS users and move to a subscription model similar to the way the title is distributed on other platforms such as Android, Blackberry, and Windows Phone.

In a recent interview, CEO Jan Koum said the subscription model will be applicable to new users, who would be able to download and use the app for free for one year before being subject to an annual fee. No decision has been made in regards to the pricing but the structure is likely to follow the company’s other apps, which currently carry a recurring cost of $1 per year.

As of right now, users are required to make a one-time payment of $0.99 for access to the app’s ad-free services. Existing users are expected to be grandfathered in to the new pricing structure when the change takes place sometime this year. Koum revealed that his company is “relaxed on dates, but definitely this year. It’s on the road map,” referring to the new pricing change.

WhatsApp has become enormously popular and transmits 17 billion messages a day. This is largely due to the rise of smartphones and data-based messaging. The publication noted that there are over 100 million account holders using Android devices alone. Established firms such as Facebook have recently boosted their own messaging services with the social network’s latest offering boasting free VoIP calling across North America. As far as the future of WhatsApp, Koum said a desktop client is something that won’t be arriving anytime soon as the world continues to move to an all-mobile ecosystem. Video streaming is also not in the cards for 2013 but could be a possibility in the coming years.

For now, WhatsApp is still available in the App Store for the one-time fee of $0.99 for those of you who were interested in downloading it.

Source: TechCrunch via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks
    Thanked 5,915 Times in 1,404 Posts

I was waiting for this. As you mentioned, it's been that way on android for as long as I know. I've known it to be fairly reliable, and use it on a daily basis, so I guess I'd pay the subscription fee. Some won't see the value tho, and resort to free alternatives. Thank you.

Thanks

oh well ill be deleting whatsapp from my iphone once this happens. i use imessage mostly but have kik and skype if i need something multi platform

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't even use Whatsapp any more. In my opinion, GROUPME is far better.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 682 Posts

I guess I do not understand what makes this app better than something like bite SMS
    I don't see what makes this so much more valuable than a free product. Can someone explain to me the advantage of this application over others

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm with this guy what makes it so good anyone ^^^^^

!zy
    Thanks

from my personal experience, i have had whatsapp since release and av got few other account and for 60p in uk i paid for three times already, because most of the people use this, its cross platform so likes of iphone, android, nokia, maybe blackberry have this, i talk to ppl across the work and the fact that i can send txt, pics, voice n vids is a very powerful app, now av not used others very much but i dont might pay yearly sub as long as its reasonable... it does imply that its only for customers who buy the app new but old customers are grandfathered to the app so n need to worry

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default GroupMe
    Quote Originally Posted by !zy View Post
    from my personal experience, i have had whatsapp since release and av got few other account and for 60p in uk i paid for three times already, because most of the people use this, its cross platform so likes of iphone, android, nokia, maybe blackberry have this, i talk to ppl across the work and the fact that i can send txt, pics, voice n vids is a very powerful app, now av not used others very much but i dont might pay yearly sub as long as its reasonable... it does imply that its only for customers who buy the app new but old customers are grandfathered to the app so n need to worry
    Groupme does the same and I think has a better interface With the ability to add up to 50 people in a group

Thanks

Yeah also had this since release but I'm trying to get all my pals on messageme. It's so much better but the pin & email to add contacts is brilliant because click don't have to give out my number for personal contact. I don't really like whatsapp anymore anyway.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ha ^this guy buys phone doesn't want to give his number to mates ah classic

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Thanks

Moneymoneymoneymoney

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

What is happening to all the companies now these days ?
    I`m seeing many things going wrong man.. No innovation.. no updates...no new interface..now wants subscribtion ....other is that other is this...

man its like companies are really having a bad time.....

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Most plans comes with unlimited messaging. Use your plan and bite SMS... Why pay? Getting greedy. They'll lose customer base once this is implemented IMO

Green Apple
    Thanks
    People are going to ***** about $1 a year? 99c every 12 months. That's saving up 8.25c a month. You can find more than that if you walk down the road occasionally.

iPhone? More like MyPhone WithinTemptationFan's Avatar
    Thanks

1 dollar a year is apparently too much to pay..

iPhone Warranty Voider Faresismail's Avatar
    Thanks

I use whatsapp all the time coz i use it to communicate with my entire class ( we all are in one group ) and if it becomes paid, im sure a lot wont actually pay :/

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I don't get it. Why do people buy this app in the first place! Viber and tango do the exact same thing plus a bunch more for free. And I think with this stupid subscription thing, people will take notice and people will stop using Whatsapp, leading toward a downward spiral of unpopularity.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,915 Times in 1,404 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesChirac View Post
    I don't get it. Why do people buy this app in the first place! Viber and tango do the exact same thing plus a bunch more for free. And I think with this stupid subscription thing, people will take notice and people will stop using Whatsapp, leading toward a downward spiral of unpopularity.
    Possible timeline of events:
    1.) Heaps of people start to use it because its cross platform and free for 12 months on droid, and had some useful features first.
    2.) Developers started theming it more regularly because of 1.
    3.) Some people not from 1, started using it because of 2.
    4.) Now they're charging a subscription.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesChirac View Post
    I have more than 60 contacts on my phone that have and use whatsapp, only 3 use viber, 4 or 5 use tango... I like whatsapp and i dont mind paying 1 dollar a year if it continues to be the most popular messaging app among my friends and relatives. Yes i understand other apps offer even better options for free but they become worthless if i cant find any of my friends using them.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I need a dollar .. Dollar .. dollar is what I need babe.