+ Reply
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BlackBerry Chief Calls iPhone 'Outdated'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default BlackBerry Chief Calls iPhone 'Outdated'

BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins spoke candidly about his competition from Cupertino in a new interview published this week in The Australian Financial Review. According to Heins, Apple is no longer the leader in smartphone innovation.

Labeling Apple’s iPhone user interface as “outdated,” Heins says BlackBerry’s Z10 and even Samsung’s Galaxy S4 have passed the iPhone in mobile hardware and software design.

“Apple did a fantastic job in bringing touch devices to market… They did a fantastic job with the user interface, they are a design icon. There is a reason why they were so successful, and we actually have to admit this and respect that,” Heins says.

“The rate of innovation is so high in our industry that if you don’t innovate at that speed, you can be replaced pretty quickly. The user interface on the iPhone, with all due respect for what this invention was all about, is now five years old,” he adds.

In particular, Heins asserts that the new BlackBerry 10 mobile operating system is superior to iOS because it enables users to run multiple apps simultaneously in a multitasking environment rivaled only in quality by the desktop experience.

“The point is that you can never stand still,” Heins concludes. “It is true for us as well. Launching BB10 just put us on the starting grid of the wider mobile computing grand prix, and now we need to win it.”

Source: The Australian Financial Review

Thanks

Damn I'm going through a rough patch myself, anyone knows what drugs he's on seems like a nice reality to live in.

"the new BlackBerry 10 mobile operating system is superior to iOS because it enables users to run multiple apps simultaneously in a multitasking environment"

Wow I could see it now, you could run all 15 apps that were ever made for the BB10. That's amazing multitask an entire app store, I take it all back that is great.
    Last edited by Norb; 03-18-2013 at 11:34 AM.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Norb For This Useful Post:

Hip5 (03-18-2013), Mohit555 (03-18-2013), ohthatguyagain (03-19-2013), Trypt4mine (03-19-2013), Wantedx9 (03-18-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone shigh's Avatar
    Thanks

To be fair i still dont understand what ppl want. Yea a few toggles like wifi brightness etc i get but when the words like overhaul and redesigned are used im puzzled. What do ppl want? Diamond shaped icons? Hardcore theming i get but wouldnt want to sacrifice stability or ease of use for it.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shigh For This Useful Post:

ferris419 (03-18-2013), joshlogic (03-18-2013), Mrteacup (03-18-2013), ohthatguyagain (03-19-2013), primalscream.40 (03-18-2013), runey71 (03-18-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shigh View Post
    To be fair i still dont understand what ppl want. Yea a few toggles like wifi brightness etc i get but when the words like overhaul and redesigned are used im puzzled. What do ppl want? Diamond shaped icons? Hardcore theming i get but wouldnt want to sacrifice stability or ease of use for it.
    +1

Thanks

Let's face it. He's right in the fact Apple is definitely not the market leader in innovation anymore. I love my iPhone, but they are slowly but surely being replaced. They need to introduce some major innovation FAST

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

It seems he needs to "Admit" a few more things eh? Good luck with that whole BB thing...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The thing is that innovation doesn't come easy.
    Android reached its peak same as iOS.
    A change in GUI won't bring innovation, new technology will.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ferris419's Avatar
    Thanks

I wan my phone to do the dishes and my laundry and cook me dinner!! What's so innovative about these smart phones? They are just pocket sized computers ! Ill be impressed when I get off work and my beds made shower running and dinner done!!

Thanks

+1. If it works, who cares if it isn't new?
    Quaerite et invenietis.

Thanks

This clown should know all about being outdated.....so now they are the industry standard and leaders.....I think not. This cocky attitude is what led them to their initial defeat...guess they learned nothing.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cgfusion For This Useful Post:

ferris419 (03-18-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

We want something new, why do you People think it's impossible to design a fresh new system? Stop making excuses and being so closed minded, the system is old and boring. The fact that it's on lockdown doesn't help either. Apple got smart and finally fired Scott Forstall, so Im hoping to see something new soon. The iPhone OS has lots of potential, and it's simply not being utilized.
    Last edited by hogcia; 03-18-2013 at 03:14 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    There hasn't been any major innovation on the iPhone since the debut of iPhone 4. Sure, the 5 had a slightly bigger screen and a new connector, but that's about it. Under-the-hood advancements don't count for much with the average consumer. They want options other phones have, like HTC's ability for 3D movies, or even projectors built-in. While I don't care about these options, people who are looking to be swayed, do.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to somethingblue For This Useful Post:

ferris419 (03-18-2013)

Thanks

Says the company that hemorrhaged market share for 5 years before changing.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

He's not wrong. Apple would be smart to start taking note. BlackBerry was a prime example of it as well. An innovative idea that spawned massive sales, growth, and user base. But they went stale while competitors evolved and lost their market. Apple is on the same path without the innovation. It can't be a few minor features changes anymore, or a single design. They really need to step out of their mold and bring something that will wow the world again.
    Really?

iPhone? More like MyPhone peacedog's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't disagree. Here's a screenshot of iPhone 2G. If I cropped out the phone. It looks the same as it is now, 5 years later.... aside from the extra row of icons.

I love my iOS devices (5 iPhones, 3 iPads, 3 iPod Touch, 2 AppleTV). I'd like to see something new with the UI.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ABOSWORTH's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple really needs to step up. It's embarrassing the amount of things that you can't do with a stock iPhone. That's why we jailbreak which let's be honest, is a bit of a pain in the ***. A lot of the bread and butter tweaks should be available in iOS right out of the box. Apple needs to embrace the jailbreak community and it's developers rather than trying to stop them. They spend way too much time and money fighting against it. I understand that Apple prides itself on stability but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be taking some suggestions from jailbreak developers. They should get a list of the top 50 most downloaded tweaks and start finding ways to safely implement them in the iOS. My next phone most likely will not be an iPhone because I'm bored with it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

As soon as you pick up an iphone, u know how to use it.
    A lot of the credit goes to its intuitive character, but its mainly due to the fact that we've all used some ios device atleast some time in our lives.
    NOT EVERYBODY WANTS A NEW INTERFACE.
    What apple did was to create the most simple and the most stable os and spent the last five years improving it. Not randomly coming up with new interfaces to **** with people's brains every time they pick up their phone after an update.
    If u want to pimp your phone, jailbreak it. NO MATTER WHAT APPLE DOES, IT CANNOT MATCH THE AMOUNT OF CUSTOMIZATION THAT JAILBREAKING WILL ALLOW YOU... And apple knows that. Thats why they cater to the demands of the majority who purchase a phone for its utilities and with each update, apple tries to ease the access of those utilities or maybe add a few more instead of changing the way of accessing them. Its like your cupboard. Imagine if every month, the stuff inside your cupboard got completely 'rearranged'. Even if the new setup is as systematic as the old one, you will still need to get used to the new arrangement which is ******* annoying. On the other hand, if the look and the feel of the cupboard doesnt change, the stuff remains where it was, but its now a modular cupboard, thats something that 99% of the 'sane' population would look forward to.
    The same is with the phone.
    But as i always say, to each his own! This is just my opinion.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Mohit555 For This Useful Post:

joshlogic (03-18-2013)

Thanks

^^HAhahahaha! Exactly! He should be studying Apple as they know how to sell basically anything ;]

Green Apple
    Thanks

And please dont tell me that the amount of innovation that went into creating the s4 was out of this world. Most, though not all the new features are useless. 100 snapshots in 4 seconds? How about just 6 or maybe 7 good ones? Good luck deleting the rest of the 99 which are inferior to the one you choose.

And what the **** is still picture with a song? Is samsung retarded? Its like a slide show, but wait, theres just one slide but full background music. Hilarious.

Lets talk about the part where the photographer too can be present in the photo as a face in a cloud. It would spoil the entire picture. And if the photographer so desperately wants to be in the photo, theres always photoshop which will actually produce results which are not laughable.

And excuse me for wanting to watch my videos in a relaxed manner without having to stare intently at the screen else it stops playing..!

I could go on but u got my point. I did like a couple of the features like the air touch or something where u dont have to touch your screen because this should lead to a lot of new gesture based actions. Rest is crap.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,415 Times in 6,361 Posts

Jailbroken idevices account for less than 10% of all apple products. Why would they cater to the minority?
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

+ Reply
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast