+ Reply
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BlackBerry Chief Calls iPhone 'Outdated'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by shigh To be fair i still dont understand what ppl want. Yea a few toggles like wifi brightness etc i get but when the words like overhaul
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shigh View Post
    To be fair i still dont understand what ppl want. Yea a few toggles like wifi brightness etc i get but when the words like overhaul and redesigned are used im puzzled. What do ppl want? Diamond shaped icons? Hardcore theming i get but wouldnt want to sacrifice stability or ease of use for it.
    He is absolutely right! iOS is stale, old and boooooooring! With its windows 3.1 icon driven interface. Many of the most popular jailbreak apps/features/functions should be integrated into iOS (activity that apple frowns upon by the way but manages to steal a couple here and there, you MMi regulars know what I'm talking about, ehem - wifi sync for starters ;^). Anyone of the thousands of jailbreakers that comes here can list at least 5 things that old azz iOS should have. Matter of fact i'll start;

6 years later and still a clock bar on the lock screen? Really? - How about weather, rss, stocks (glance lock screen info) - So many LS tweaks!
    1. Intelliscreen X
    2. iScheduler
    3. SpeakEvents
    4. Hands-Free Control
    5. HapticPro
    6. iBlacklist
    7. Overboard
    8. Firewall IP (and PMP) - yes, because sometimes "legitimate" apps try to make off with location, contact, sms, email, music collection info.

And these aren't fluffy cosmetic theme changes either but real world functionality that people use. Remember, these are things that the iPhone does now but of course needs to be jail-broken. So haven't even begun to touch on how Apple can Ape some of the functionality that new high end phones are putting out now. And hey, they are not above "borrowing" either (i.e. NC center)...

So, just remember, the Roman Empire was mighty once too...
    Last edited by Lohand; 03-18-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    ^^HAhahahaha! Exactly! He should be studying Apple as they know how to sell basically anything ;]
    Apple sells what the majority desires. You or the $$$ that u mightve spent to get your idevice is insignificant to the company. So dont think that u can make better decisions for the company cuz if u could, u'd be running it.

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Jailbroken idevices account for less than 10% of all apple products. Why would they cater to the minority?
    Exactly. THEY DONT. They create a simple phone with a simple os for the majority. Those who want to pimp their devices can go jailbreak them.
    Last edited by Mohit555; 03-18-2013 at 01:11 PM.

!zy
    Thanks

lmfao..... give them a chance you 'NORB'

lmfao, give them a chance you 'NORB'

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lohand View Post
    He is absolutely right! iOS is stale, old and boooooooring! With its windows 3.1 icon driven interface. Many of the most popular jailbreak apps/features/functions should be integrated into iOS (activity that apple frowns upon by the way but manages to steal a couple here and there, you MMi regulars know what I'm talking about, ehem - wifi sync for starters ;^). Anyone of the thousands of jailbreakers that comes here can list at least 5 things that old azz iOS should have. As a matter i'll start;

6 years later and still a clock bar on the lock screen? Really? - How about weather, rss, stocks (glance lock screen info) - So many LS tweaks!
    1. Intelliscreen X
    2. iScheduler
    3. SpeakEvents
    4. Hands-Free Control
    5. HapticPro
    6. iBlacklist
    7. Overboard
    8. Firewall IP (and PMP) - yes, because sometimes "legitimate" apps try to make off with location, contact, sms, email, music collection info.

And these aren't fluffy cosmetic theme changes either but real world functionality that people use. Remember, these are things that the iPhone does now but of course needs to be jail-broken. So haven't even begun to touch on how Apple can Ape some of the functionality that new high end phones are putting out now. And hey, they are not above "borrowing" either (i.e. NC center)...

So, just remember, the Roman Empire was mighty once too...
    The guy that you quoted and agreed to so emphatically made EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE point. Read closely my friend.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mohit555 View Post
    As soon as you pick up an iphone, u know how to use it.
    A lot of the credit goes to its intuitive character, but its mainly due to the fact that we've all used some ios device atleast some time in our lives.
    NOT EVERYBODY WANTS A NEW INTERFACE.
    What apple did was to create the most simple and the most stable os and spent the last five years improving it. Not randomly coming up with new interfaces to **** with people's brains every time they pick up their phone after an update.
    If u want to pimp your phone, jailbreak it. NO MATTER WHAT APPLE DOES, IT CANNOT MATCH THE AMOUNT OF CUSTOMIZATION THAT JAILBREAKING WILL ALLOW YOU... And apple knows that. Thats why they cater to the demands of the majority who purchase a phone for its utilities and with each update, apple tries to ease the access of those utilities or maybe add a few more instead of changing the way of accessing them. Its like your cupboard. Imagine if every month, the stuff inside your cupboard got completely 'rearranged'. Even if the new setup is as systematic as the old one, you will still need to get used to the new arrangement which is ******* annoying. On the other hand, if the look and the feel of the cupboard doesnt change, the stuff remains where it was, but its now a modular cupboard, thats something that 99% of the 'sane' population would look forward to.
    The same is with the phone.
    But as i always say, to each his own! This is just my opinion.
    You've just described Apple as the Toyota of mobile phones and all they make are safe, familiar, reliable, boring Camry's. Just imagine if Toyota only made Camry's, and not with new features either but the same way year after year with only slight changes. They wouldn't last a second and apple wont either unless they innovate...

Remember, Motorola made flip phone razr's once and the earth was flat too...
    Last edited by Lohand; 03-18-2013 at 01:23 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone peacedog's Avatar
    Thanks

To be fair i still dont understand what ppl want. Yea a few toggles like wifi brightness etc i get but when the words like overhaul and redesigned are used im puzzled. What do ppl want? Diamond shaped icons? Hardcore theming i get but wouldnt want to sacrifice stability or ease of use for it.
    For starters, they could overhaul SMS. Stock SMS is crap. BiteSMS is the ****.
    • Quick reply. You can reply to a text without exiting your current app.
    • Quick compose. Pop up the SMS box to send a text, without going into the app.
    • Contact pictures.
    • Delay texts (I like to set to 2 seconds to give me time to cancel if I see a spelling mistake)
    • Quick access buttons to call or facetime the sender when you receive a text from them.

Quicker access to stuff like Bluetooth would be helpful too. Just like NCSettings.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Oh my god another one! Alright first off, software is NOT , is NAWT going to matter to the average consumer that buys these phones! All the god damn companies come out to apple and ALL they say is, our OS is better than yours!! WHO CARES?! Most of the people that buy iPhones aren't going to be paying ANY attention to the software or how they use it! And second, just because the software has more "tweaks" doesn't mean you gotta go RUSH out and buy it! There all smartphones get over it! If your to stupid of a wank bag to stare at the OS all day then get your self a different phone! And please for GOD sake don't bring in hardware! Apples i5's speed isn't just on paper, you can see it. If you've had a i4 you can see a big difference in speed from the two, which is great! On my dads note 2 with 2 GB Memory and a quad core 1.8 GHz you can't see a difference between i5 and the note 2! I did a very accurate comparison between the two, you can't see it! Samsung has it on paper but you can't exactly see it. When I heard of the components and tried it, I was very disappointed. I was not with the i5 because you can see the difference in opening app ect! So don't come out and say there outdated in software and hardware because again first off, who gives a ****. Second, once you jailbreak an iDevice, your android and *******...jelly bean *** farts 3.173 is DESTROYED. You customize it so much more on iOS once jailbroken. Listen, in not an android hater, I actually like there phones! I do! People just like me, get angry at those android FAN boys that come out and say how there OS is better! Who cares! WHO...CARES.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Did u completely miss out on the app store, the retina display, siri and other major updates that apple has blessed the world with?
    I mean i would keep my faith in the company that did all that rather than the one which can make videos pause by looking away.
    Sure a little customization doesnt hurt anyone and i am totally with u that apple needs to open up a bit.
    But too much of it will be confusing for the average user. Imagine having all of the cydia tweaks installed on your phone because everyone wants a different type of customization. But yes, i do feel that a few of the good ones like zephyr or nc settings should be inbuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by ByKorbi View Post
    Oh my god another one! Alright first off, software is NOT , is NAWT going to matter to the average consumer that buys these phones! All the god damn companies come out to apple and ALL they say is, our OS is better than yours!! WHO CARES?! Most of the people that buy iPhones aren't going to be paying ANY attention to the software or how they use it! And second, just because the software has more "tweaks" doesn't mean you gotta go RUSH out and buy it! There all smartphones get over it! If your to stupid of a wank bag to stare at the OS all day then get your self a different phone! And please for GOD sake don't bring in hardware! Apples i5's speed isn't just on paper, you can see it. If you've had a i4 you can see a big difference in speed from the two, which is great! On my dads note 2 with 2 GB Memory and a quad core 1.8 GHz you can't see a difference between i5 and the note 2! I did a very accurate comparison between the two, you can't see it! Samsung has it on paper but you can't exactly see it. When I heard of the components and tried it, I was very disappointed. I was not with the i5 because you can see the difference in opening app ect! So don't come out and say there outdated in software and hardware because again first off, who gives a ****. Second, once you jailbreak an iDevice, your android and *******...jelly bean *** farts 3.173 is DESTROYED. You customize it so much more on iOS once jailbroken. Listen, in not an android hater, I actually like there phones! I do! People just like me, get angry at those android FAN boys that come out and say how there OS is better! Who cares! WHO...CARES.
    Well put! Apple has always been more about the actual experience rather than specs. They'll never tell u what ram they have on the phone or what mah is the battery that powers it. THEY SHOW YOU.
    Thats why apple's 1gb ram on i5 pretty much fcks most of the 2gb rams on other phones or the 1450mah apple battery lasts longer than most >2000 other phone's.

Other phone's should remember one thing. Specs are eventually just numbers which dont matter after the buyer purchases the phone. What matters is the after sales experience.

Like someone wise said, u dont need a big di ck to satisfy a woman. Also, having a big di ck is no guarantee that the woman will get satisfied. Apple's specs vs the specs on other phones is the biggest example of this.
    Last edited by Mohit555; 03-18-2013 at 01:47 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Isn't bb10 outdated too?? After all long have bb play book owners waited to get the update! Personally a small bit of truth to what he says but then for a company that's fighting for survival he might want to pay more attention to its recovery

Thanks

widgets

iPhone? More like MyPhone ABOSWORTH's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mohit555 View Post
    And please dont tell me that the amount of innovation that went into creating the s4 was out of this world. Most, though not all the new features are useless. 100 snapshots in 4 seconds? How about just 6 or maybe 7 good ones? Good luck deleting the rest of the 99 which are inferior to the one you choose.

And what the **** is still picture with a song? Is samsung retarded? Its like a slide show, but wait, theres just one slide but full background music. Hilarious.

Lets talk about the part where the photographer too can be present in the photo as a face in a cloud. It would spoil the entire picture. And if the photographer so desperately wants to be in the photo, theres always photoshop which will actually produce results which are not laughable.

And excuse me for wanting to watch my videos in a relaxed manner without having to stare intently at the screen else it stops playing..!

I could go on but u got my point. I did like a couple of the features like the air touch or something where u dont have to touch your screen because this should lead to a lot of new gesture based actions. Rest is crap.
    I agree that much of it seems pointless and I'd never use it but there is a way to disable it if you choose not to use it. That's the point. They let the user choose where as apple assumes that their customers are stupid and makes decisions for them. You can't even have an animated background on an iPhone for **** sake. How dumb is that? "Oh, it wastes the battery." Yeah, maybe it does use more battery but let me make that decision. I have to plug my damn phone in every night to charge anyway so I don't care about the extra 3% of the battery it uses to have an animated background. I could go on about other things that iOS should do out of the box but I won't bother.

Jailbroken idevices account for less than 10% of all apple products. Why would they cater to the minority?
    I understand that but more and more people are switching to Android rather than dealing with the hassle of jailbreaking so while it may only be 10%, that isn't an entirely accurate figure.
    Last edited by ABOSWORTH; 03-18-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

This coming from the Chief of a company that's TRYING to make a comeback with BB 10......Windows came into the smartphone game a bit late and their phones aren't doing that great. What does BB think they're going to do? Change the whole industry and push Apple and the iPhone out?? Lol!! This guy is a moron!

iPhone? More like MyPhone jghost's Avatar
    Thanks

+1, although they are reaching a point of saturation in the U.S. and will have to do something within the next five years to keep their users. Maintenance of an iOS or slowly adding things that should of been in the fundamental design won't cut it in the long-run in the smartphone market.

Also, I agree that QNX is a strong OS and that it has a good amount of superior functionality to iOS. Apple doesn't have to reinvent the wheel, but I think they can work a little harder to add tweaks like SBSettings, Activator, Zephyr, true multitasking, or simple widgets. These types of enhancements should be incremental updates (and arguably fundamental in the iOS design), not 5.0 to 6.0. Further, the smartphone market is like the stock market, as past performance is not indicative of future performance. A dominant manufacturer can be wiped off the surface if they don't stay ahead of others, rather than maintaining their market position.
    Last edited by jghost; 03-18-2013 at 03:06 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

UI is a little dull ... Mind you we can tweak the piss out of it, or even design our own.

But blackberry is calling the kettle black there.

Fail.

They talking **** now that they "FINALLY" put out the z10... Lol
    Couple months earlier and they couldn't open their mouths... With the 100 dozen exact same phones for the last 10years.

Also I live 20min from Blackberry in Waterloo lol. And I admit they suck.

Thanks

Its been half a decade, and we barely have anything new on the user interface.The truth is the only reasons i buy and apple product is;because I can jailbreak it, make it better by implementing the mods I like, and because of the app store other than that nothing really wows me about apple anymore. as an apple fan i admit this with sadness

Thanks

i agree iOS is outdated and dull and boring cant wait to switch from ip5 to android

iPhone? More like MyPhone DieselVexx's Avatar
    Thanks

Jailbroken, The Iphone any version is a hard nut to crack. What apple lacks in the innovation department the Jailbreak community makes up. Traded my iphone one for a 4s. Looks like its going to be a while before I get rid of this puppy...And I so wanted the SG4 to equal the physical build of the iphone 4s. Alas it's not to be, especially since the screen got even bigger. The z10 from all reports is a good phone but I wouldn't trade my 4s in for it.

Thanks

Know why I buy apple products and will continue too? Because they last a long time, great customer service and the ui is simple, clean, and fast. I have owned every iPhone since the 2G and I have sold every one of them on eBay unlocked for more than what I paid for them after using the device for a year or more. They are well designed and quality products. And, if I want to customize them I jailbreak, like I have since long before Cydia and before Installer.

Quote Originally Posted by sheon View Post
    i agree iOS is outdated and dull and boring cant wait to switch from ip5 to android
    Bye!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Sorry, but I can't disagree with this guy.
    Why aren't Apple writing funkier apps in-house ?
    They can retain the depth at which external app-devs are allowed OS access while writing rootier stuff themselves.
    Granted, there is a risk that it MAY compromise iOS 'just working' and while there's nothing like testing in the wild, they can surely invest in some pretty robust testing themselves.
    Hell, it would lead to an even more robust iOS.
    Given the ground they've lost over the last 2-3 years, it's surely better to take that risk than haemorrhage at the rate they currently are ... because the rate of Android hard and software development continues to pick up apace.

Will Apple be the next Nokia ?

Steve Jobs did some great things - but his vision came at the cost of some intrinsic lack of commerciality, which is now really beginning to bite deep into the Apple.

Wake up and smell the coffee, Apple!

It also seems to me that JB development is no longer funky.
    Look at all the apps that have been abandoned since iOS 4.x - some of the really fundamental ones (even open source) haven't even been update to iOS 5 (think Backgrounder).

Apple's lack of genuine commercial nouse is turning the iPhone into yesterday's fashion.
    But I guess like most organisations at the top, it's gotten fat and comfortable - and has just been resting on its laurels too long.
    Last edited by iPhoneThereforeIAm; 03-18-2013 at 06:02 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Samball View Post
    The thing is that innovation doesn't come easy.
    Android reached its peak same as iOS.
    A change in GUI won't bring innovation, new technology will.
    Never underestimate the creativity of developers. While a GUI-refresh may not be "essential," it is a most welcomed change (as long as the old one can be used optionally by the user). Blackberry's CEO is correct, iOS' user interface is indeed five years old, and what is more, iOS' user-interact, for me, has become boring. This is not to say it does not work, however, a welcome-refresh would be great to have. Taking cues from Windows live-tiles would be a great starting place for a GUI refresh.