+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Amazon's Smartphone Challenge to iPhone Delayed

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Talk of an Amazon-branded smartphone project has lingered in the tech blogosphere for more than two years now. When MMi was last privy to insider chatter about the rumored smartphone,
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Amazon's Smartphone Challenge to iPhone Delayed

Talk of an Amazon-branded smartphone project has lingered in the tech blogosphere for more than two years now. When MMi was last privy to insider chatter about the rumored smartphone, the suggestion was that Amazon and Foxconn (the same Foxconn that brings iPhones to life) would partner to produce the online retailer's first smartphone sometime during the early months of 2013.

Unfortunately for those awaiting the arrival of the Amazon phone, a new report issued Monday by Sammi Huang and Steve Shen of DigiTimes indicates that the wait isn't quite over yet,

Citing sources in the "flat panel supply chain," they report the "smartphone is still under its engineering verification test (EVT) period due to issues related to its mobile platform."

As a direct result of this critical setback, the Amazon smartphone may not be ready for rollout until at least June. Early summer, however, is also the time that Apple is expecting to release the new iPhone 5S.

"It's smart for Amazon to get its software perfect before releasing a phone," observes Jay Yarow of Silicon Alley Insider. "It's going to launch into a very crowded market: iOS and Android dominate, but Microsoft and Blackberry both have very good platforms vying for third place."

Source: SIA

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Jeff B. 2 words, thin bezel. Just sayin...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I have 3 words....Better Plan Pricing

Seriously, we need to get much better cell phone pricing plans out there, it would be great if Amazon could negotiate a truly unlimited data plan, with unlimited talk and text for around $30 per month for the first line and $10 for each additional line (up to say 6 lines total or so), add an additional $5 for unlimited international.

This would kill pretty much every other device there is out there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    I have 3 words....Better Plan Pricing

Seriously, we need to get much better cell phone pricing plans out there, it would be great if Amazon could negotiate a truly unlimited data plan, with unlimited talk and text for around $30 per month for the first line and $10 for each additional line (up to say 6 lines total or so), add an additional $5 for unlimited international.

This would kill pretty much every other device there is out there.
    Doubt that could ever happen and could cause chaos if it did happen cause that wouldn't be fare for the other smartphone users who are on tiered data plans. Cause what if they don't like the Amazaon smartphone and want to to keep their own phone instead but then they'll have to give up unlimited data for an awesome phone. The plans would have to be up to the carrier. It'd only work with Sprint since they are the only carrier that does offer unlimited everything without throttling. I'm glad I have them cause I love my speeds and don't have to worry about hitting a cap or going over my data and paying a lot. Either you hope sprint will get the phone or just deal with the plans there are available.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

This made me laugh......."When MMi was last privy to insider chatter about the rumored smartphone, the suggestion was that Amazon and Foxconn (the same Foxconn that brings iPhones to life) would partner to produce the online retailer's first smartphone sometime during the early months of 2013."

Like MMI is privy to anything other than rumors. You guys are not even the first site to get JB info anymore.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 836 Posts

Mustard05, i see you took the time to contribute nothing more than disrespect. Your family must be proud of you.

Cmwade77, Amazon would have no say in a carrier's service pricing. The only thing that will bring down service pricing is competition between carriers. If you want to see lower prices overall then all you can do is protest by not paying for it, or by switching to the cheapest carrier.

If no one buys into their cruel pricing scheme then they'll be forced to lower their prices.