+ Reply
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iOS Devices Found To Be Most Popular Way to Use In-Flight Internet

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,629
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 116 Times in 102 Posts

    Default iOS Devices Found To Be Most Popular Way to Use In-Flight Internet


    The in-flight Wi-Fi provider, Gogo, recently reported that iOS users account for the majority share of mobile devices that are accessing the company’s ground-to-air Wi-Fi network, with iPhone owners, comprising some 73%of all traffic originating from smartphones. According to Gogo, 84% of all mobile devices connecting to its services have been identified as running Apple’s iOS whereas products using the rival operating system, Android, accounted for the remaining 16%.

    Despite iOS ruling the skies, the operating system still saw a decline from 96.8% share in 2011, while the use of Android grew 400% over the same period. Breaking down the statistics by device even more, smartphones and tablets combine to make up 67% of portables being used to access the internet in-flight. Tablets seem to be enjoying the most use with a 35% share, while laptops and smartphones come in at 33% and 32% respectively.

    The Cupertino California company’s presence seems to be dominating with the iPhone accounting for 73% of smartphones recorded, compared to Android’s 26%. Other handsets such as those made by BlackBerry and Windows didn’t even break the 1% mark. Gogo mentioned that passengers spend most of their time surfing the web with the Safari mobile browser, followed by Microsoft’s Internet Explorer and Google’s Chrome. Other activities ranking high on the list of things to do included writing emails, accessing social media sites, checking sports scores, and shopping – all of which seem quite obvious!

    Source: GoGo (blog)

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,227
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 141 Times in 121 Posts

    This includes the Pilot and Co-Pilot....who are playing Words With Friends with each other or Sudoku, while "George" flies us.
    Last edited by steve-z17; 03-08-2013 at 08:05 AM.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

    fowlerd11 (03-08-2013)

  4. #3
    iPhoneaholic Norb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mountain View, California
    Posts
    402
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 51 Times in 31 Posts

    Damn makes you wonder where some of these android guys are getting these number of android having 75% market share...

  5. #4
    iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    133
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    Damn makes you wonder where some of these android guys are getting these number of android having 75% market share...
    It's all those cheap, or even giveaway, Android phones that make up a lot of that market share. You know the ones that are too slow to use the majority of apps and might as well not even be 'smartphones'.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts