+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bill Legalizing Cell Phone Unlocking Introduced in U.S. Senate

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
In February, the White House petition initiated to undo the questionable policy change outlawing new cell phones from being unlocked reached its goal of securing 100,000 signatures, the threshold required
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Bill Legalizing Cell Phone Unlocking Introduced in U.S. Senate

In February, the White House petition initiated to undo the questionable policy change outlawing new cell phones from being unlocked reached its goal of securing 100,000 signatures, the threshold required to mandate a response from The White House.

Earlier this week, the White House responded and it confirmed the Obama Administration's support for the legalization of cell phone unlocking.

On Thursday, the effort gained even more momentum as U.S. Senators Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), and Mike Lee (R-UT) introduced the Wireless Consumer Choice Act. Although it remains to be seen if this bipartisan senate bill will sail through to passage, not many obstacles are expected in the short term.

"Consumers shouldn't have to fear criminal charges if they want to unlock their cell phones and switch carriers," Senator Lee stated this afternoon. "Enhanced competition among wireless services is the surest way to increase consumer welfare."

"Consumers should have flexibility and choice when it comes to their wireless service and they deserve to keep and use cell phones they have already purchased," Senator Klobuchar added. "This legislation will help allow consumers to unlock their phones. I will continue to work with my colleagues to promote policies to meet the needs of consumers and boost competition."

Source: PCMag

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,351 Times in 5,989 Posts

Very nice!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

This is absolutely wonderful.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I just hope they understand that the unlocking needs to be available to anyone that is travelling overseas as well.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This shouldn't be just a bill about Phones being unlocked or jailbroken, This should be about all devices that are owned by the consumer. If I want to buy a 2013 mustang and put on new pipes and headers and throw on a turbo and nos. That is legal. Yes it voids the warranty but why should I not be allowed to mess with my PlayStation or tablet or anything like that?

Thanks

That's a separate argument that is also underway!
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I haven't gotten into reading too much into this, they are only making the unlocking process legal, right? They aren't requiring devices to be unlocked.

I think the latter would completely change the face of the wireless industry... finally.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    I just hope they understand that the unlocking needs to be available to anyone that is travelling overseas as well.
    That's the only reason why I support this cause.. is BS that att wont allow you to use another carrier while overseas...

Thanks

Well, it seems that Congress can be bipartisan about SOMETHING. Let's hope the concept spreads to other legislation as well.

Thanks

Cool let's pass this then move on to that government proposal to provide free wi-fi to anyone in this country and real shove it up the cell phone companies bottoms.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

this is great but im sorry man it just aint right if u sign a contract for a subsidized iphone then u should standby what u agreed to. u knew it wasnt unlocked when u signed that contract...this is gonna be the end of the 199 iphone...

Thanks

How do you figure? Verizon phones are unlocked and their still $199

13. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (03-08-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor64 View Post
    this is great but im sorry man it just aint right if u sign a contract for a subsidized iphone then u should standby what u agreed to. u knew it wasnt unlocked when u signed that contract...this is gonna be the end of the 199 iphone...
    It won't change phone subsidies. If you choose to unlock a phone and leave the carrier, whilst still under contract, then you are required to pay out the contract. The original carrier who subsidised the phone loses nothing. This is how it is done in Australia, and many other countries, and we still have heavily subsidised phones. Making unlocking legal, whilst under contract, would mean people can finally use their phone overseas without paying exorbitant roaming charges.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to runey71 For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (03-08-2013)

Thanks

Nice...