+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Releases Field Trip App for iOS

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Google Releases Field Trip App for iOS

Google is on an application-launching spree for iOS. Google in December launched YouTube Capture for iOS and in January launched Google Coordiate for iOS. But the spree is not stopping there Google has Thursday released yet another application for iOS.

This application is called Field Trip. The application promises to keep you updated on interesting things near you by running in the background and notifying you when you get close to interesting things happening in your area. The app description cites that the application can also tell you about interesting historical information near you.

Some interesting features that the application comes with include:

• Marking places as favorites to easily visit them again in the future
    • Entering 'field trip' mode to be educated about interesting places and history around you as you drive
    • Discovering new places
    • Social network support for Google+, Facebook, and Twitter for sharing information
    • Setting the frequency of notifications from the app

It would appear that this is yet another Google release that only supports the iPhone/iPod touch and does not initially have iPad support. Chances are an update, long in the future, will add support at some point. It took Google around three months to optimize the YouTube application for the iPhone 5 and iPad, which is a surprisingly long wait for a company that has the resources Google does.

You can download the new Field Trip application from Google for free from this link.

Sources: App Store

Banned
    Thanks

Nice Android port. this is a very useful app if you live in the right city. I live here in NYC so every few blocks this app alerts me to some really interesting things.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Nice Android port. this is a very useful app if you live in the right city. I live here in NYC so every few blocks this app alerts me to some really interesting things.
    Does it not have an affect on battery life running in the background all the time?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    What about the lack of an iPad version? I mean surely Google could afford to hire iPad developers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    What about the lack of an iPad version? I mean surely Google could afford to hire iPad developers.
    Probably because not everyone take's their ipad with them? A smartphone is much more convenient than having to carry an ipad.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    Probably because not everyone take's their ipad with them? A smartphone is much more convenient than having to carry an ipad.
    Well they make cellular iPads, so it's completely doable.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Well they make cellular iPads, so it's completely doable.
    True, guess they were going after the masses since more people own iPhones as opposed to iPads? Wonder if Ingress would follow up shortly. Would be nice to see iPhone users join us Android folks in crushing the Resistance lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    True, guess they were going after the masses since more people own iPhones as opposed to iPads?...
    Well not everyone owns an iPhone. When will google learn that catering for some people is better than catering for iPhone users only. I mean why is there not even a Google Maps app for iPad yet?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Sadly not (yet?) available in Canada