+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Customize the Call Button Text With 'CalliFy'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Those of you that are modders – and we know there’s a lot of you out there – you can grab a new jailbreak tweak in Cydia today called CalliFy
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 766 Posts

Default Customize the Call Button Text With 'CalliFy'

Those of you that are modders – and we know there’s a lot of you out there – you can grab a new jailbreak tweak in Cydia today called CalliFy by iOS developers D3@TH and Aehmlo that will let you customize the text on the call button in the Phone application (iPhone only).

The default text string of the call button in the Phone application is “Call,” however the tweak lets you change this string to anything you want – as long as it’s within 4 characters. The developers explain in the Cydia description of the tweak that this couldn’t be done in the past without having to SSH into the iPhone, and the tweak will make it easier to customize that text string.

To customize the string of text shown on the call button, just head over to the tweak's preferences pane in the Settings application:

The preferences pane comes with a text field, where you can input your >4 character text string that you want to use to replace the “Call” text that is there by default. Afterwards, tap on the “Apply changes” button to save your changes. You should also respring for the changes to take effect – unfortunately, the tweak doesn't come with a way to respring, so you'll have to download a third-party respring method if you don't have one already.

The tweak is admittedly a little bizarre, being that it’s going to be a niche desire to change the text string of a call button that says “Call” on it for obvious reasons – but hey, if you want to, more power to ya! But for those interested, you will find the tweak in the BigBoss repository for free. It is compatible with iOS 5 and iOS 6.

Name: CalliFy
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: iPhone running iOS 5+
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer(s): D3@TH and Aehmlo
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 03-08-2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: tweak now free and open source

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Dometic (03-06-2013)

Thanks

We are working on a way to fix the issue with the Apply Changes button we seem to have the issue figured out and should be releasing a update sometime soon.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mc-Lovin_341's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice tweak but don't see where $0.99 comes from

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mc-Lovin_341 For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (03-07-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,087 Times in 1,703 Posts

I'm sorry, but this isn't worth 99 cents. It's a ripoff, and just a desperate venture to get money from the iCommunity.

Btw, to customize that string without even jailbreaking..navigate to your applications, it's in the mobilephone folder, pick your language, open up the General.strings and modify the Call= part. Took me less than 10 seconds to figure out on my own. If you want to modify the text without ridiculously purchasing a tweak, just do this^.

And by the way, this method does NOT require a respring.
    Last edited by KnightWing; 03-07-2013 at 07:12 AM.
    Follow me on twitter @The_KnightWing

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KnightWing For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (03-07-2013), ferris419 (03-07-2013), Jailbr0k (03-07-2013), Lobi_Earl (03-08-2013), Shindman22 (03-06-2013)

Thanks

For the record, I just made the tweak. I would do it for free. I may even open-source the tweak. I'm not in this (development) for profit, I just want to make people's lives easier. I've had no control over this package since I made it and compiled it, and haven't had any control over what's done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightWing View Post
    I'm sorry, but this isn't worth 99 cents. It's a ripoff, and just a desperate venture to get money from the iCommunity.

Btw, to customize that string without even jailbreaking..navigate to your applications, it's in the mobilephone folder, open up the General.strings and modify the Call= part. Took me less than 10 seconds to figure out on my own. If you want to modify the text without ridiculously purchasing a tweak, just do this^.
    This tweak was made only to be able to do this at runtime without modifying system files, and to make it easier for users who are uncomfortable with modifying their system files.

Thanks

Keep going with the ideas but still not worth paying for :S

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by se23 View Post
    Keep going with the ideas but still not worth paying for :S
    Should I open-source it and add a bunch more features in other apps for him to release as paid?

(Anybody who wants can answer that, feedback is appreciated.)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wait... seriously? 99 for a tweak that changes the "call" text? Not to be a douche, but this tweak isn't worth paying for. It would be a different story if this tweak changes more system text than just the call text (lock screen text, app text, slide to power text, etc). If you implement more features then go ahead and make it a paid tweak, but as the tweak is now, it should have been free. I would rather buy MyStrings instead of this. No offense.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mc-Lovin_341's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aehmlo View Post
    Should I open-source it and add a bunch more features in other apps for him to release as paid?

(Anybody who wants can answer that, feedback is appreciated.)
    If you made it open-source and had more features the $0.99 would be worth it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mc-Lovin_341 View Post
    If you made it open-source and had more features the $0.99 would be worth it
    Okay, thanks. I'll probably do that. I'll contact Death and we'll talk about it. Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Thanks

The button? Heck I'll teach you how to customize the entire dialer with your own personal photo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    The button? Heck I'll teach you how to customize the entire dialer with your own personal photo.
    What about end-users and non-themers? The point of this is to change the text string at runtime without modifying files or requiring WinterBoard.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It be a shame if I made a tweak similar to this, implement more features, and release it for free.

Jk

Thanks

I'll be making this free since everyone keeps complaining about 0.99 you act like its the price of IntelliscreenX or MyWi for crying out loud all I've heard since this has been released is complaining like 2yr olds do. Yea I know it's pointless charging but 86 users haven't complained so obviously they like it.
    D3@TH's Creations
    Where Dreams Come True!
    Private Repo

Green Apple
    Thanks

Don't get me wrong, but its the lack of features that isn't worth paying for. Keep it as a paid tweak if you want, but at least implement new features later on rather then having it just change the call text.

Thanks

That was the plan was releasing more features but there's to many people complaining so I'm making it free
    D3@TH's Creations
    Where Dreams Come True!
    Private Repo

Thanks

The tweak is being made free. I'm sorry about that, I agree that it should not have been made paid for the functionality it offers. I will open-source it tomorrow morning, and it will become a good foundation for people learning how to write tweaks. I'm in this for the fun and to write good tweaks people enjoy using. It has never been about the money for me, and that's not about to start now. I love the jailbreak community and I'm sorry for all of this. CalliFy in its current state is not worth 99, for sure. See my recent tweets for more of my thoughts on the matter.

~Aehmlo

My iPhone is a Part of Me dwizurd's Avatar
    Thanks

Well if you are making it free and open source, give it a donation link at least. I'm not mad at the $.99 heck, I've spent more on less. Lol you guys seem like good dudes, and I look forward to see what you come up with down the road.
    Noobus Majorus thanks are welcome <---

Green Apple
    Thanks

All right

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Will you refund my money If you are making it free now that I paid for it