+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Android Sheds Market Share Straight to Apple in Q4

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Although BlackBerry and Windows phones are hoping for a trickle-down effect in the smartphone space (that is, picking up users leaving Android or iOS) it appears that the majority of
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Android Sheds Market Share Straight to Apple in Q4

Although BlackBerry and Windows phones are hoping for a trickle-down effect in the smartphone space (that is, picking up users leaving Android or iOS) it appears that the majority of iOS and Android users are going to stick with one of these two dominant platforms.

These days, in fact, when Android loses smartphone market share, it goes almost exclusively to iOS. That's according to the latest data published by comScore on Wednesday. Apple's iPhone 5 helped the company to grow its smartphone market share by 3.5% in the U.S. during Q4 of 2012. Android, meanwhile, lost ground.

For the 3 month average ending Jan. 2013 vs. the 3 month average ending Oct. 2012, Apple retained 37.8% of smartphone subscribers, while Android's lead slipped to 52.3%. Although second place isn't as good as first place, Apple continues to make headway at Android's expense with each passing quarter.

To review the complete announcement and corresponding data from comScore, click here.

Source: comScore

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

If Windows or Blackberry really wants the market share, then they should offer to allow users that can prove that they paid for Apps on the iPhone App Store, Google Play or Amazon Market Place to obtain the equivalent versions on their OS for free.

This would overcome what is one of the primary obstacles to switching.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    If Windows or Blackberry really wants the market share, then they should offer to allow users that can prove that they paid for Apps on the iPhone App Store, Google Play or Amazon Market Place to obtain the equivalent versions on their OS for free.

will BB subsidize to the devs? i am sure it wasn't a ton of work to port, but there was work involved on the part of the dev to cross platforms...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

On the world stage, Android is still near 69% overall.

Android captured almost 70% global smartphone market share in 2012, Apple just under 20% | VentureBeat

Just trying to un-skew the "journalism" that's often presented here.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TooSlo View Post
    On the world stage, Android is still near 69% overall.

Android captured almost 70% global smartphone market share in 2012, Apple just under 20% | VentureBeat

Just trying to un-skew the "journalism" that's often presented here.
    This post just won me $20! I told my friend that someone was going to post opposing Android numbers within 5 post.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to trek-life For This Useful Post:

novadam (03-06-2013)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trek-life View Post
    This post just won me $20! I told my friend that someone was going to post opposing Android numbers within 5 post.
    You can say that someone will always point out the holes in the tripe that's posted as "news" here.

Banned
    Thanks

It would be up to developers to make their apps available to those platforms. with BB, maybe not but Windows phone sounds possible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TooSlo View Post
    You can say that someone will always point out the holes in the tripe that's posted as "news" here.
    do you also eat food you can't stand and listen to music you hate?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by novadam View Post
    do you also eat food you can't stand and listen to music you hate?
    I don't enjoy having to support Apple devices on my network, and some of the users think that bringing jailbroken devices in and using them to torrent is a good use of company resources.

I'm unsure of how your response is supposed to rationalize blatant inaccuracies from story authors here. Feel free to attack my stance on how it's not important to attempt to keep up on what apps my end users may try to run that provide undue stress on a network that primarily hosts client-server and web apps that can get data hungry during peak usage times.

Additionally, I do often times have to eat food that I don't enjoy currently due to going through chemotherapy. Would I enjoy eating a huge steak dinner or pizza every once in a while? Sure, but my body disagrees with that idea and I'm stuck eating things that provide the largest amount of micronutrients while assuring I'm getting enough calories to sustain treatment and work.
    Last edited by TooSlo; 03-06-2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Clarification

Thanks

what does the "tripe" in this article have to do with supporting jb'd phones on your network?

also: sorry about the chemo. that sucks.
    Last edited by novadam; 03-06-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Honestly blackberry or any Os has NO power over this.

The reason other companies aren't getting market is because people have so much digital merchandise like you said, and its almost all exlusively on iTunes. None of apples competitors have an "iTunes". And that will forever hold them bak

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by novadam View Post
    what does the "tripe" in this article have to do with supporting jb'd phones on your network?

also: sorry about the chemo. that sucks.
    No worries about the illness. 2 more months and I'll be done. (knock on wood)

The problem with jailbroken devices on my network are the people who start streaming/downloading things like YouTube clips, downloading other large media files directly to their device (Safari Downloader), Torrenting (you wouldn't believe how popular this is, as they aren't admins on their local box), and general things like disabling Exchange PIN requirements (Major HIPPA violation)

I need to stay on top of what people are doing with their devices, and I do the same with sites like A-Developers as well to see what mods people are running. Most of my staff is pretty good about being open with the ROMs they're running on Android, or that they aren't overutilizing our limited bandwidth that we allocate for employee use, but it's always an uphill battle to properly utilize resources without taking a hammer to the situation and not allowing anyone to have a mobile device on our network.

Moving on to my displeasure with this particular article, it just happened to be the first on the page when I hit it today, and it always frustrates me that the writers on staff at MMI will give information in a very misleading way, either by stats such as the one in this article that imply that Apple is gaining traction in the mobile market as a whole, when the truth is that Apple had a good quarter due to the iPhone 5. We've seen this cycle for how many years? Every quarter a new iPhone has been released, it's gained a bump in overall market share in the US. Was my usage of the word tripe a bit much? Probably, but I so seldomly get to use it in proper context that I had to take the opportunity.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TooSlo For This Useful Post:

novadam (03-07-2013)

Thanks

I dig.

Good luck, dude (if you're a dude). Hang in there.