+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Report Claims iOS Apps Leak More Personal Data Than Android Apps Do

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default New Report Claims iOS Apps Leak More Personal Data Than Android Apps Do

According to a recently released study by Appthority, the most popular free apps on Apple’s iOS platform are sharing significantly more user data than the most popular apps on Google’s Android platform. Appthority’s App Report for February 2013 looked at the top performing free mobile apps across both the iOS and Android platform. Surprisingly, despite Android’s reputation as a less secure platform, it was found that iOS apps were allowed to engage in more risky behaviors.

The study found that all 50 of the top free iOS apps along with 92% of the top 50 free Android apps, both send and receive data without encryption. As of right now, iOS apps get more access to user data with 60% of the top apps tracking user location, 54% having access to a user’s contact list, 60% sharing data with ad or analytics networks, and 14% accessing users’ calendars.

When compared with the Android platform, Android apps shared data with ad networks, while 42% tracked user locations. Only 20% of Android app had access to users’ contact lists and none were found to access the calendar. Entertainment apps were found to be the loosest with user data with games and business apps close behind. Educational and finance apps were found to display the fewest risky behaviors for those of you who were wondering.

Although a number of questionable policies and security concerns have painted Google’s Android platform as inherently less secure than Apple’s iOS platform, Android does appear to be more prone to malware than iOS. It should be noted that mobile malware only affects only one percent of apps. The larger concern, the study concludes though that we should be focusing on how mobile apps handle personal information and company data.

Source: Appthority

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Wow better sell my iphone then and get a useless piece of crap called Android then

Thanks
    Wow really who will believe this **** free android apps steal way more plus free android apps have way worst ads as well as most of the ads in android are phishing ads so android can just blow me

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I am wondering if it was a variety of the top 50 Free app's or if it was the same App written for both platform's.I always disliked the way Ad's are implemented for Free App's specially when my kid's complain about them or even worse when they want to buy something from the AD. I know that App developer's need support for there work,but at the same time it's annoying to see these Ad's of thing's I would never buy.

Thanks

How is this relevant when contacts, locations and calendar needs an authorization from the user to access?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Norb For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-07-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vtails View Post
    I am wondering if it was a variety of the top 50 Free app's or if it was the same App written for both platform's.I always disliked the way Ad's are implemented for Free App's specially when my kid's complain about them or even worse when they want to buy something from the AD. I know that App developer's need support for there work,but at the same time it's annoying to see these Ad's of thing's I would never buy.
    Exactly what I was going to say.

Do iOS and Android have the exact same apps in their top 50 list? If not, then it doesn't really say much on the platform because those apps that weren't tested on Android (and vice-versa) may potentially be leaking more data. This study should have chosen the 50 most popular apps available across both platforms.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CCNPJediHacker View Post
    Wow better sell my iphone then and get a useless piece of crap called Android then
    Mmhmmm... Still don't want a droid...
    IF I switched from iPhone in the future it would probably be only for a Nokia 920 or Blackberry 10. Android just sucks as an OS.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Please do.

Quote Originally Posted by Modding life View Post
    Wow really who will believe this **** free android apps steal way more plus free android apps have way worst ads as well as most of the ads in android are phishing ads so android can just blow me
    Let me guess you got all this from Apple's website?
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    Mmhmmm... Still don't want a droid...
    IF I switched from iPhone in the future it would probably be only for a Nokia 920 or Blackberry 10. Android just sucks as an OS.
    +1

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Please do.

Nope from my own use of both devices

Thanks

Please do.

I see the obligatory Android troll has arrived. Go back to your laggy POS no lifer....

Nope from my own use of both devices
    Dont even acknowledge the troll. Probably got too confused at A and thought he would troll here. What makes these people do these things is beyond me. I think I'm just too busy to go to A trolling for kicks... Pathetic
    Last edited by CCNPJediHacker; 03-06-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Thanks
    I see the obligatory Android troll has arrived. Go back to your laggy POS no lifer....

Dont even acknowledge the troll. Probably got too confused at A and thought he would troll here. What makes these people do these things is beyond me. I think I'm just too busy to go to A trolling for kicks... Pathetic
    Yeah thanks for that I hate trolls lol

Thanks

Yeah thanks for that I hate trolls lol
    Sadly they are all too common here, trying to big up their laggy low battery devices. Time to start a movement here to #winbackmodmyi for the apple community. The mods here sadly actually let these droid trolls flourish, we don't get any help from them sadly... We have to win our forum back ourselves

Thanks
    Sadly they are all too common here, trying to big up their laggy low battery devices. Time to start a movement here to #winbackmodmyi for the apple community. The mods here sadly actually let these droid trolls flourish, we don't get any help from them sadly... We have to win our forum back ourselves
    100% true

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

nothing that 'protect my privacy and firewall IP' can't rectify. That is why I always install those two first after each jailbreak.

ohh! and I always install Privacy as well.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

LOL, troll, I enjoy my iPhone 5, iPad 3, Nexus 7 & my Nexus 4. Half the people here ******** about Android have never touched 1. Any topic that makes Android sound better than iOS let the ******** start. I have been using iDevices since the original iPhone, Android since the original Nexus.
    How is it any different than owning a iMac and a Windows PC. I love tech. So because I disagreed with the ******** commit, that makes me a troll...Pathetic.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

LOL, troll, I enjoy my iPhone 5, iPad 3, Nexus 7 & my Nexus 4. Half the people here ******** about Android have never touched 1. Any topic that makes Android sound better than iOS let the ******** start. I have been using iDevices since the original iPhone, Android since the original Nexus.
    How is it any different than owning a iMac and a Windows PC. I love tech. So because I disagreed with the ******** commit, that makes me a troll...Pathetic.
    Since you own an iPhone and an android, test the "Webex" app for me. Same meeting invite sent to same person, if opened on iPhone, gets connected to the meeting, dials the audio conference number and then dials the meeting participant code all by itself, without a single tap. Android app won't dial and won't even show u the participant code.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Since you own an iPhone and an android, test the "Webex" app for me. Same meeting invite sent to same person, if opened on iPhone, gets connected to the meeting, dials the audio conference number and then dials the meeting participant code all by itself, without a single tap. Android app won't dial and won't even show u the participant code.
    I would love to test it, but have no meeting to connect to. I did read through some of the Reviews on the Playstore. It seems there are quite a few with this issue. My first question would be what Android device are you trying it on? I would also try to contact Cisco Support.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I would love to test it, but have no meeting to connect to. I did read through some of the Reviews on the Playstore. It seems there are quite a few with this issue. My first question would be what Android device are you trying it on? I would also try to contact Cisco Support.
    I tested this on my iPhone 5 vs a friend's android. Not sure exactly what model he had. It had a fruity name.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

time for you guys to grow up and stop acting like the trolls you claim come to this site. As far as laggy and low battery devices, my Droid DNA has none, neither do most of the current android devices. If anything, i can bet you guys are the type to buy something (in this case an iphone) and say it's the best thing in the world cause it's a popular device. Just a bunch of kids trying to act cool.