+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The White House: "It's Time to Legalize Cell Phone Unlocking"

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Back in February, more than 114,000 people signed a White House petition to make unlocking cell phones manufactured after a certain date legal again in the United States. The White
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 765 Posts

Default The White House: "It's Time to Legalize Cell Phone Unlocking"

Back in February, more than 114,000 people signed a White House petition to make unlocking cell phones manufactured after a certain date legal again in the United States. The White House has officially responded, and with great news!

The White House agrees with the 114,000 people that want to make unlocking cell phones legal. In fact, they think consumers should be able to do the same with their tablets:

Thank you for sharing your views on cell phone unlocking with us through your petition on our We the People platform. Last week the White House brought together experts from across government who work on telecommunications, technology, and copyright policy, and we're pleased to offer our response.

The White House agrees with the 114,000+ of you who believe that consumers should be able to unlock their cell phones without risking criminal or other penalties. In fact, we believe the same principle should also apply to tablets, which are increasingly similar to smart phones. And if you have paid for your mobile device, and aren't bound by a service agreement or other obligation, you should be able to use it on another network. It's common sense, crucial for protecting consumer choice, and important for ensuring we continue to have the vibrant, competitive wireless market that delivers innovative products and solid service to meet consumers' needs.

This is particularly important for secondhand or other mobile devices that you might buy or receive as a gift, and want to activate on the wireless network that meets your needs -- even if it isn't the one on which the device was first activated. All consumers deserve that flexibility.

The Obama Administration would support a range of approaches to addressing this issue, including narrow legislative fixes in the telecommunications space that make it clear: neither criminal law nor technological locks should prevent consumers from switching carriers when they are no longer bound by a service agreement or other obligation.

We also believe the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), with its responsibility for promoting mobile competition and innovation, has an important role to play here. FCC Chairman Genachowski today voiced his concern about mobile phone unlocking (.pdf), and to complement his efforts, NTIA will be formally engaging with the FCC as it addresses this urgent issue.

Finally, we would encourage mobile providers to consider what steps they as businesses can take to ensure that their customers can fully reap the benefits and features they expect when purchasing their devices.
    To read the rest of the official response to the petition trying to make unlocking cell phones legal, you can head over to the official petition page via this link.

It would appear that the petition, created by Sina Khanifar, has made a solid impact. Huge props to Sina, whom we've been working with for a long time - since the days of TheMotoGuide.com!

All cell phone owners in the United States will have benefits to gain from this... Customers 1, carriers 0.

Sources: Whitehouse.gov
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 03-04-2013 at 12:53 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hopefully this will be the beginning giving more freedom to customers. If we pay for something and its ours, we should be able to have full control over it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

Is everyone happy now?

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank god this is going well. That was ridiculous. It's our property to do with what we want.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Vrery Happy !

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Good progress :-)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Should we celebrate?

Thanks
    Thanked 15,189 Times in 6,972 Posts

Definitely a good thing

My iPhone is a Part of Me ProfessorJack's Avatar
    Thanks

It's quite simple for me in my thinking
    Is if I'm not able to unlock/jailbrake
    Then I will not buy any apple product

I've noticed most of my settings are keep up in the cloud
    So if you take your device out of JB you can still use most of the setting tweaks

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I remember the good old days of modmymoto! I only bought Motorola cell phones during that time. Modding them with programs like RSD, XVI32, P2K Tools etc. You could make MP's (monsterpacks) that had themes and mods all squeezed into a file....good times!! The SLVR L7 and RIZR Z3 were definitely my favorites to mod! Then the iPhone came out and a lot of people left moto modding and came over to Jailbreaking Either way it's awesome to be able to personalize your phone!
    Last edited by steve-z17; 03-04-2013 at 01:52 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

Kyle Matthews (03-04-2013), vinaygoel2000 (03-04-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Am i wrong or this is only about carrier unlocking and not jailbreaking?

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster View Post
    Am i wrong or this is only about carrier unlocking and not jailbreaking?
    This is only about carrier unlocking.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This must be about jailbreaking too, since tablets were mentioned. It would appear to follow logically...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I really don't understand what everybody seems to have a case of the *** over to begin with. Most phones sold by the major carriers are subsidized. When these subsidies have been fulfilled, a phone can be freely unlocked. At least with an iPhone, which is the focus of this board, it's as easy as requesting it from your carrier, confirmation that your contract has been fulfilled, and releasing it to be unlocked by iTunes. I've done it twice.

If you want to buy and unlocked phone to begin with, you can, at full retail price.

I'm not sure what I'm missing here. If you guys think you are going to get unlocked iPhones for $199 out of the 'chute, you are sadly mistaken. Your beloved Apple is going to get their money, one way or another. You guys are headed down the path of unsubsidized phones and only being able to buy them at full retail to begin with.

Be careful what you wish for.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Or you can buy an on contract iPhone 5 from Verizon and it will come unlocked...

Green Apple
    Thanks

We need a petition to bring back unlimited data

iPhone? More like MyPhone MoDaLoT's Avatar
    Thanks

We prevailed!!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LearningMan View Post
    I really don't understand what everybody seems to have a case of the *** over to begin with. Most phones sold by the major carriers are subsidized. When these subsidies have been fulfilled, a phone can be freely unlocked. At least with an iPhone, which is the focus of this board, it's as easy as requesting it from your carrier, confirmation that your contract has been fulfilled, and releasing it to be unlocked by iTunes. I've done it twice.

If you want to buy and unlocked phone to begin with, you can, at full retail price.

I'm not sure what I'm missing here. If you guys think you are going to get unlocked iPhones for $199 out of the 'chute, you are sadly mistaken. Your beloved Apple is going to get their money, one way or another. You guys are headed down the path of unsubsidized phones and only being able to buy them at full retail to begin with.

exactly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LearningMan View Post

You still have to pay for the contract so why should they care?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

More like customers: 1 carriers: 5 million

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jme2712 For This Useful Post:

ohthatguyagain (03-05-2013)