+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The White House: "It's Time to Legalize Cell Phone Unlocking"

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
i disagree with you. The subsidized price should only affect the 18mo commitment data plan and not the unlock/lock status of my iphone. if i buy a subsidized iphone for
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i disagree with you. The subsidized price should only affect the 18mo commitment data plan and not the unlock/lock status of my iphone. if i buy a subsidized iphone for $199, i promise to commit to the 18mo data plan. but i would like my current iphone (which is the latest and greatest) to be unlocked so i can travel to other countries and use my current iphone

Quote Originally Posted by LearningMan View Post
    I really don't understand what everybody seems to have a case of the *** over to begin with. Most phones sold by the major carriers are subsidized. When these subsidies have been fulfilled, a phone can be freely unlocked. At least with an iPhone, which is the focus of this board, it's as easy as requesting it from your carrier, confirmation that your contract has been fulfilled, and releasing it to be unlocked by iTunes. I've done it twice.

If you want to buy and unlocked phone to begin with, you can, at full retail price.

I'm not sure what I'm missing here. If you guys think you are going to get unlocked iPhones for $199 out of the 'chute, you are sadly mistaken. Your beloved Apple is going to get their money, one way or another. You guys are headed down the path of unsubsidized phones and only being able to buy them at full retail to begin with.

Be careful what you wish for.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to daytonaviolet For This Useful Post:

Kyle Matthews (03-04-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LearningMan View Post
    I really don't understand what everybody seems to have a case of the *** over to begin with. Most phones sold by the major carriers are subsidized. When these subsidies have been fulfilled, a phone can be freely unlocked. At least with an iPhone, which is the focus of this board, it's as easy as requesting it from your carrier, confirmation that your contract has been fulfilled, and releasing it to be unlocked by iTunes. I've done it twice.

If you want to buy and unlocked phone to begin with, you can, at full retail price.

I'm not sure what I'm missing here. If you guys think you are going to get unlocked iPhones for $199 out of the 'chute, you are sadly mistaken. Your beloved Apple is going to get their money, one way or another. You guys are headed down the path of unsubsidized phones and only being able to buy them at full retail to begin with.

Be careful what you wish for.
    +1. But getting this point across is a waste of breath. At least is has for me. Of the only thing the carrier has to keep you in your contract is an ETF why would they offer subsidized phones? My guess is, they won't.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The reason they even tried to ban cell phone unlocking is stupid. You would still have to pay the monthly fee from your cell company if you unlocked it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iM1sf1t View Post
    Or you can buy an on contract iPhone 5 from Verizon and it will come unlocked...
    Verizon iPhone 5 FTW

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teej1410 View Post
    The reason they even tried to ban cell phone unlocking is stupid. You would still have to pay the monthly fee from your cell company if you unlocked it.
    no you wouldnt if it was unlocked u could just suspend the line of service and pay 9.99 a month and then pop in a sim of your choice....

Thanks

I feel weirdly awesome to have contributed among the 114,000+

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rcworship View Post
    This must be about jailbreaking too, since tablets were mentioned. It would appear to follow logically...
    Tablets use carriers. Unlocking is NOT a security flaw, jailbreaking is. I'm 100% for jailbreaking but its 300% legal for apple to keep updating its iOS and patching exploits.

Thanks

Anyone know if this mean AT&T and straight talk working together again?
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Contract or not its my phone I dont want it locked simple as that if i wanna travel overseas and use my phone i should be more then welcome to i dont need no stupid *** carrier locking

such as my PS VITA which is locked to ******* AT&T and AT&T and sony dont even know how to ******* unlock it -_-

cellphone locking needs to be illegal if companies are worried about some guy walking in the store and buying 5 iPhones then selling them on eBay they maybe there need to better train there staff on how to avoid that.... its not or fault it Happens

being from Hawaii and having many tourist come in with there phones to use them there carriers such as vodaphone Austailla have no problem unlocking the phone u go online click unlock done

but no greedy companys like AT&T only want u to use service with them no one else

i hope they revoke this stupid *** law and let us do what we want with or phones

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sheon View Post
    Contract or not its my phone I dont want it locked simple as that if i wanna travel overseas and use my phone i should be more then welcome to i dont need no stupid *** carrier locking

such as my PS VITA which is locked to ******* AT&T and AT&T and sony dont even know how to ******* unlock it -_-

cellphone locking needs to be illegal if companies are worried about some guy walking in the store and buying 5 iPhones then selling them on eBay they maybe there need to better train there staff on how to avoid that.... its not or fault it Happens

being from Hawaii and having many tourist come in with there phones to use them there carriers such as vodaphone Austailla have no problem unlocking the phone u go online click unlock done

but no greedy companys like AT&T only want u to use service with them no one else

i hope they revoke this stupid *** law and let us do what we want with or phones
    Your lack of punctuation makes my head hurt and your response unreadable.
    Do I brag about which phone I have in this space?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steeda763 View Post
    Your lack of punctuation makes my head hurt and your response unreadable.
    Hawaii has the worst public education in the nation... For someone from Hawaii that wasn't half bad... Anyways, hooray for a petition that got a positive response from the FEDS... LAWS! Crazy ish dem laws...

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12