+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upcoming Tweak 'DirectionBar' Puts a Live Compass Icon in the Status Bar

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Upcoming Tweak 'DirectionBar' Puts a Live Compass Icon in the Status Bar

Do you like those small, aesthetically pleasing modifications that make your iOS device even more fun to use? If so, you will probably enjoy an upcoming jailbreak tweak called DirectionBar (code-named StatusCompass) by iOS developer Rudolf Lichtner.

DirectionBar adds a new icon to the Status Bar. The icon is actually a miniature compass, and it updates in real time to show you what way North is, so the tweak will always be running in the background. It will appear in the Status Bar from any application, from the home screen, and even from the lock screen.

By default, the Status Bar icon is a two-toned white and red icon; however, the icon will be themeable, and come with many pre-loaded options to pick from. The icon shown in the screenshot above is just one of the number of options that the tweak comes with as an icon choice.

DirectionBar will come with some options to configure, so its not exactly as simple as it seems. We will have more information about the tweak when it is released DirectionBar will be made available for free in the ModMyi repository in the near future, so keep your eyes peeled!

Sources: Rudolf Lichtner

PJ7
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Not a lot of use for that yet I love it!!
    I love those little tweaks

iPhone? More like MyPhone Raybeast's Avatar
    Thanks

I liked the idea until I saw who developed it. Rudolf steals ideas, is amazingly arrogant, and an overall rude person. Terrible to deal with.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,306 Times in 1,610 Posts

I actually thought an approach like Clockify would have been better but then that's using your location services constantly.

I doubt this tweak will take off IMO.
    Twitter Id: @Jato_BZ
    Ask questions here or there, or follow/preview my theme build process...something different

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raybeast View Post
    I liked the idea until I saw who developed it. Rudolf steals ideas, is amazingly arrogant, and an overall rude person. Terrible to deal with.
    Well it's a free tweak so all the best to him

Green Apple
    Thanks

What app is being shown there? I have the MobileTerminal app from Cydia - is the "Terminal" app different, the icon definitely looks cooler.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noraa View Post
    What app is being shown there? I have the MobileTerminal app from Cydia - is the "Terminal" app different, the icon definitely looks cooler.
    That's MobileTerminal with the ayecon WinterBoard theme applied.

iPhone? More like MyPhone davesnothere11's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds cool but I wonder what it does to battery life.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It is Terminal, but his phone and, hence, the Terminal icon is themed by ayecon.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

looks like its themed with ayecon

Thanks

FYI, the developer got the idea from a new Twitter acct called @TweakIdea. If @TweakIdea likes your suggestion, they'll put it out there and see if a developer wants to pick it up!

BTW...Anthony,
    Which icon did you like the best? I like the most recent one he posted.

Which (I just noticed) is the one in your screenshot! My bad!

...lastly, the icon is themeable
    Last edited by thazsar; 03-03-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    By the way, Compass Icons by @Bouchenoiremarc and some guy who tried to help @aranshavit
    Last edited by rud0lf77; 03-03-2013 at 11:24 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll give it a try when it's out, fun stuff.

On an unrelated note, I wish someone would bring back and updated working version of Backgrounder for iOS 6. It's the one remaining "must have" app I miss that is now abandonware apparently.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post
    On an unrelated note, I wish someone would bring back and updated working version of Backgrounder for iOS 6. It's the one remaining "must have" app I miss that is now abandonware apparently.
    Backgrounder was nice and appreciated back when iOS didn't handle multitasking all that well. It does now. And there are now plenty of tweaks (like Auxo) that handle switching well, too.

So what feature was it in Backgrounder that you're missing now as a "must have?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    I actually thought an approach like Clockify would have been better but then that's using your location services constantly.
    Clockify is alos not compatible with iOS 6, or the iPad. Cydia won't let me install. I'd steer clear of it.

LiveClock does the same thing, looks like that might be a safer bet.
    Last edited by Fofer; 03-04-2013 at 10:00 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post
    I'll give it a try when it's out, fun stuff.

You can try "Infinity Task". It's $2.49.

Quote Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
    Backgrounder was nice and appreciated back when iOS didn't handle multitasking all that well. It does now. And there are now plenty of tweaks (like Auxo) that handle switching well, too.

So what feature was it in Backgrounder that you're missing now as a "must have?"
    Blacklist an app to multitask or assign an activator gesture like short hold of home button to stop background. This would be good for any navigation app. For example, to quit Waze, you have to press a little icon and then press "Switch Off". Would be nice to press and short hold home to quit.
    Last edited by vinaygoel2000; 03-04-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fofer View Post

I actually enjoyed it when Apple didnt have multitasking. This is when Backgrounder shined because you could choose what you wanted to multitask and everything else quit. That was a huge RAM assistant versus nowadays.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Very cool tweak. It's a shame if what people are saying is true about the idea being taken without credit, but a nice implementation nonetheless.

By the way, does anyone know where the cloud icon is from on the top left of the screenshot?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hybridx24 View Post
    Very cool tweak. It's a shame if what people are saying is true about the idea being taken without credit, but a nice implementation nonetheless.

By the way, does anyone know where the cloud icon is from on the top left of the screenshot?
    The idea was given to @TweakIdea and rudolf gave credit to that person on Twitter. In fact, the person that came up w/ the idea was very excited that rudolf was going to make it!

The cloud is a Zeppelin icon

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hybridx24 View Post

You shouldn't listen to Raybeast, he is just some ruthless hater, spreading lies all over the web.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i dont see this in cydia can anyone help me on what im doing wrong, thanks.