+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Create An iPhone Smart Cover Using Always On Proximity and SurfacePad

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
In December last year, Anthony covered a Jailbreak tweak called Always On Proximity , which allowed you to enable and disable the proximity sensor on demand, allowing you to use
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Default Create An iPhone Smart Cover Using Always On Proximity and SurfacePad

In December last year, Anthony covered a Jailbreak tweak called Always On Proximity, which allowed you to enable and disable the proximity sensor on demand, allowing you to use this feature in a different manner.

When combining this feature with a product by TwelveSouth called SurfacePad, you can finally get that Smart Cover action on your iPhone and not just your iPad.

Obviously this little trick will require you to have a jailbroken iPhone and Always On Proximity installed. Then apply the SurfacePad cover as normal and Voila, you now have a Smart Cover that performs just liked the iPad.

Of course this same method can be applied to nearly any case/cover that folds over the front screen, thus utilizing the proximity sensor. Word on the street however is that the SurfacePad is the way to go.

Has anyone else use Always On Proximity to duplicate this idea?

alwaysonproximity.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Green Apple
    Thanks

Sounds good only thing that pops to mind is power drain! What sorta impact is there to the life of the battery? I realise that there is a power issue with most tweaks but some more than others!

iPhone? More like MyPhone jwil736's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds a little silly to me but to each their own.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jwil736 For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (03-04-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just tried it. alwaysonproximity will work with any other iphone case with cover not just SurfacePad. I just have to try to see how bad the battery drain is.

A few things to note -Need to turn off AutoLock to make it really work -Siri Raise to Speak will not work -accidentally wave your finger above the sensor will turn the screen off.

So far it works well, still trying out to see how bad battery drain is.
    Last edited by aerohunter; 03-03-2013 at 07:18 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I purchased SurfacePad in December and it was not worth the $99. I returned it soon as I tried it. The cover does not close, no magnet

thinking this tweak wouldn't work well/if not at all with Surface Pad,,, don't know about other cases.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpySod View Post
    Sounds good only thing that pops to mind is power drain! What sorta impact is there to the life of the battery? I realise that there is a power issue with most tweaks but some more than others!
    I've had always on proximity an had no troubles with battery + you can have an activator action to enable/disable.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It works relatively well with my Bookbook my Twelve South. Still waiting to see how battery drain will be. Any experienced users with this tweak, let us know.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Always On Proximity is good, but if you are using an exchange account like me where you don't have the option to turn off auto lock, it's useless, once your iPhone is locked by itself, you have to unlock it manually of course if its locked Always On Proximity don't work.

For those with that problem with an exchange account with auto lock, I just discovered an application on Cydia called Exchance Unlock and it turn the auto lock off, in that way Always On Proximity works.
    Last edited by javiert30; 03-04-2013 at 01:23 AM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    what would be its cost i wonder??? it sounds good but what would be its price i wonder.....
    Last edited by KaarinaTuulola; 05-20-2013 at 12:31 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KaarinaTuulola View Post
    what would be its cost i wonder??? it sounds good but what would be its price i wonder.....
    It's a free tweak.