Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: YouTube App Updated With Improved Wi-Fi Streaming, YouTube Capture Integration, More

Default YouTube App Updated With Improved Wi-Fi Streaming, YouTube Capture Integration, More

Google has issued an App Store update to the YouTube application for iOS Thursday afternoon. The update adds many stability improvements, as well as new features.

The YouTube application now has a feature to control YouTube from your T.V., Xbox, or Playstation 3 via the YouTube application on your iOS device.

Users will also find that the update adds integration for the standalone YouTube capture application, which Google released in December of last year. The YouTube application now has a Capture button under the user’s YouTube account username that can be tapped as a quick shortcut to the YouTube Capture application. Those that don’t have YouTube Capture installed will be prompted to install it if they tap on the YouTube Capture button.

The update also fixes a problem with videos not buffering smoothly on slower Wi-Fi networks. Having experienced the issue myself, it’s a sigh of relief to see that the application is now much more fluid on the buffering via Wi-Fi, as the problem used to make watching videos on Wi-Fi terribly painful.

If you already have the YouTube application installed, you will find the update under the Updates tab in the App Store. Alternatively, you can download YouTube for free from the App Store via this link.

Sources: App Store
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 02-28-2013 at 12:27 PM.

I've had this weird issue with the youtube app before this update..

I would be listening to some music on my headphones through the youtube app, and then somewhere between the beginning to the end of the songs, the amplitude and quality of the sound would decrease dramatically.

Tested the headphones playing same songs on my laptop on youtube and works fine.

Wonder if anyone has this issue, and if youtube was aware of this to fix the issue in this update

That's not a bug or anything. It's YouTube lowering the quality of the video because it thinks your speed is not high enough.

As it buffers, if it thinks it is buffering too slowly, it'll start buffering a lower quality version, which lowers sound quality as well as video quality.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bsltiger For This Useful Post:

EVO (02-28-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Someone released the old Native Youtube app from iOS 5.x, I liked the simplicity of the original native app. Not sure which repo I got it from, you'll have to google it.

I got rid of it because I have exceptionally high speed wifi and yet it took an hour to load 1 minute of a 5 minute video. Ridiculous. Going to redownload it now.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Will try the new update tonight. But YouTube just ain't isn't what it use to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    Will try the new update tonight. But YouTube just ain't isn't what it use to be.
    i concur!

Just download 'YouTube for iOS 6.1' on the i repo. It's the original native YouTube app optimised for iPhone 5 too
    Last edited by Simon; 02-28-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    I've had this weird issue with the youtube app before this update..

I would be listening to some music on my headphones through the youtube app, and then somewhere between the beginning to the end of the songs, the amplitude and quality of the sound would decrease dramatically.

Tested the headphones playing same songs on my laptop on youtube and works fine.

Wonder if anyone has this issue, and if youtube was aware of this to fix the issue in this update
    I just upgraded, I have an iPhone 5 6.1.2 jail broken with 3G unrestrictor, it messed everything up. Videos are no longer high quality over LTE like they were before the upgrade. I can't access any downloads I've done with protube2. Beware and don't upgrade yet.