Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pandora Will Be Limiting Free Mobile Listening to Only 40 Hours Per Month

Default Pandora Will Be Limiting Free Mobile Listening to Only 40 Hours Per Month

Those that listen to Pandora’s free online radio on mobile devices like the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, are about to be limited to 40 hours of free listening every month, according to a blog post by Pandora.

Apparently, the royalties involved in letting users listen to music for free on mobile devices are very expensive, and rising; Pandora can’t keep up with it. Pandora isn't the only company dealing with high royalty costs from the music labels – Spotify is expected to ask music labels for price breaks on royalties and to be able to extend their free streaming service to mobile devices in coming weeks.

According to Pandora, the shift to limiting mobile users to just 40 hours of free listening per month should affect an extremely small percentage of users… only about 4%:

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora Blog
    Most of you reading this will never hit the limit. In fact, it will affect less than 4% of our total monthly active listeners. For perspective, the average listener spends approximately 20 hours listening to Pandora across all devices in any given month.
    Obviously, 40 hours doesn’t seem like a whole lot, as that’s less than two full days. On the other hand, Pandora says that the average user only listens to about 20 hours of music per month across all of their devices. Pandora says they will be sure to alert users when they get close to the 40-hour listening limit.

The 40-hour listening limitation won't affect users that have subscribed or will subscribe to the paid Pandora One service, which will still provide users with unlimited listening on mobile devices.

Sources: Pandora via MacRumors

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Zekeman (02-27-2013)

Exactly why I love iHeartRadio no limits, live stations, and create your own station exactly like pandora 👍

Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    Exactly why I love iHeartRadio no limits, live stations, and create your own station exactly like pandora 
    and its powered by pandora, Wonder if this will change iHeartRadio too

Quote Originally Posted by hunterw View Post
    and its powered by pandora, Wonder if this will change iHeartRadio too
    Is it really? Haha didn't know that

Wow. Time to switch. That's what made pandora.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rvance's Avatar
    Thanks

Can't blame them though. Eventually it would happen and others like spotify are going to start as well. We do use mobile devices a lot for these particular types of streams so it is expected.

Thanks

Damn... I will be that 4% I use pandora at work for the Hawaiian/Slack Key stations I merged... Some weeks I use 40 hours in 5 work days... Oh well... Maybe pandora dow#@&*der will have me covered...

iPhone? More like MyPhone ridingsupreme's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea.. Time to sack up and pay the 3$ a month I owe a lot of discovery and genre expansion to them. I'm for sure part of that 4%. Just have to hope they don't tier that eventually too.

I'm probably in that 4%, I listen for practically hours on end in weekends. But I understand what they have to do and I'll suck it up unless they move to iHeart Radio as well. Then I'll be screwed.

Thanks
    Wait,
    I have been limited to 40 hours plenty of times before I purchased the pandora one over a year and half ago...
    This isn't something new for me or was i just getting screwed? lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

this is a bullsht outrage! wtf i listen to pandora all day every day. at work gym and at home. so its giving me less less than an hour and a half of music a day. c'mon! i know if you have an iphone you love music! so i guess ima have to make like 3 accounts so i can hop to each one after i run outta minutes...

Quote Originally Posted by artbran View Post
    Wait,
    I have been limited to 40 hours plenty of times before I purchased the pandora one over a year and half ago...
    This isn't something new for me or was i just getting screwed? lol
    no its because it used to be 40 hrs a week, but now they are saying fck yu only 40 a month... pandra bastards! bahh!
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

Quote Originally Posted by badass1469 View Post
    this is a bullsht outrage! wtf i listen to pandora all day every day. at work gym and at home. so its giving me less less than an hour and a half of music a day. c'mon! i know if you have an iphone you love music! so i guess ima have to make like 3 accounts so i can hop to each one after i run outta minutes...

no its because it used to be 40 hrs a week, but now they are saying fck yu only 40 a month... pandra bastards! bahh!
    So if you listen to it that much why not just pay the 4 dollars a month, you cheapskate. Is it really gonna break the bank on you?