+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: UCheck - Affordable Urinalysis on The Go

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Last year Myshkin Ingawale, co-founder of Biosense, created portable and needle-less anemia screener called ToucHb. This year at TED the company showed off UChek, a new affordable urinalysis app. Urine
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 277 Posts

Default UCheck - Affordable Urinalysis on The Go

Last year Myshkin Ingawale, co-founder of Biosense, created portable and needle-less anemia screener called ToucHb. This year at TED the company showed off UChek, a new affordable urinalysis app.

Urine tests are far more accurate on scanning machines than test strips have ever been, however, the biggest problem is that these machines can cost over $10,000, with limited compatibility with different types of chemical strips.

Ignawale’s UChek app tries to take this approach in a much more affordable way; a picture is taken of the strip with a smartphone and then quickly analyzed. The results produced are accurate and easy-to-understand which is quite a step forward from simply visually looking at a strip and without the cost of the scanning machine.

The app will cost whopping $99 when available in the AppStore and with an extra $20 will you can get a packet of chemical strips and a color-coded map for testing.

“We all have two things, cell phones and urine,” Ignawale explained at TED. “We figured we had to be able to do something with this.”
    While the entire topic isn't exactly exciting for most of us modders, it is however amazing the things people can develop and accomplish with their smartphones these days.

The app is currently still being tested and is awaiting AppStore approval.

http://uchek.in/index.html

UCheck - Affordable Urinalysis on The Go-picture3.pngUCheck - Affordable Urinalysis on The Go-picture2.pngUCheck - Affordable Urinalysis on The Go-picture12.png
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UCheck - Affordable Urinalysis on The Go-iphone-pee-pee.png  
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 02-27-2013 at 12:07 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

That's a pretty big rip off you can just buy your own reagent strips and on the tube it usually comes with the possibly colour outcomes.

Smart of them to do, but highly wasteful.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Senyaichiya View Post
    That's a pretty big rip off you can just buy your own reagent strips and on the tube it usually comes with the possibly colour outcomes.

Smart of them to do, but highly wasteful.
    I think the whole point of this is that pure visual inspection is very inaccurate. That's why hospitals and labs and what not use extremely expensive scanning machines to scan the strips to provide a significantly more accurate diagnosis. The iPhone app, on the other hand, can use the camera, along with the reference colors, to provide a fairly accurate diagnosis. No idea if it is accurate as a scanning machine - but definitely more accurate than just eye balling it.

I imagine this isn't being marketed at the consumer, but at hospitals and labs, etc. Spending $99 on an iPhone app is a lot cheaper than $10000 on a scanning machine.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BrainSmashR's Avatar
    Thanks

So just to be clear....I do NOT apply urine directly to the idevice??

Because I felt like doing that every day before the 6.1 jailbreak

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well, if you thought the iPhone was bad before the jailbreak, imagine what it would be like if it was covered in urine - unless you're in to that sort of thing...

iPhone? More like MyPhone BrainSmashR's Avatar
    Thanks

Dude, I put that thing on my face!! ~Raj Koothrappali

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noraa View Post
    I think the whole point of this is that pure visual inspection is very inaccurate. That's why hospitals and labs and what not use extremely expensive scanning machines to scan the strips to provide a significantly more accurate diagnosis. The iPhone app, on the other hand, can use the camera, along with the reference colors, to provide a fairly accurate diagnosis. No idea if it is accurate as a scanning machine - but definitely more accurate than just eye balling it.

I imagine this isn't being marketed at the consumer, but at hospitals and labs, etc. Spending $99 on an iPhone app is a lot cheaper than $10000 on a scanning machine.
    Eyeballing it definitely isn't hard.
    Every medical lab tech learns by looking at the colours first and not until a clinical rotation do you ever use something automated.
    Hospitals use "scanning machines" because they can put in several patient's reagent strips, which are reported the computer, and then the tech reports it out.
    I would just buy them myself from Amazon they're only seventeen dollars.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

uChek is now available on the App Store.
    For more details, visit uChek urine analyzer