+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MyVibe - Disable Vibrate When Placed On Flat Surfaces

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
BZZZZ BZZZZ! Was that an earthquake? No no, it was just my iPhone vibrating on the wooden table, which seemed to have amplified itself throughout the house! It's no surprise
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Default MyVibe - Disable Vibrate When Placed On Flat Surfaces

BZZZZ BZZZZ! Was that an earthquake? No no, it was just my iPhone vibrating on the wooden table, which seemed to have amplified itself throughout the house! It's no surprise that the vibrate feature drives many users crazy when they have their iDevices placed on a flat surface such as a table.

Introducing, MyVibe v1.0-1. Developed by Evan Coleman, MyVibe disables the vibrate feature when your phone is placed on a flat surface such as a table. Beautiful tweaks like this make me wonder why Apple doesn't just incorporate these features from the get go.

MyVibe will also enable the Do Not Disturb feature if you flip your phone upside down and place it on a flat surface. The most beautiful part is that the app works on every iPhone, iPod and iPad.

Find this bad boy in Cydia for $1.99

Unfortunately I have no screenshots for you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MyVibe - Disable Vibrate When Placed On Flat Surfaces-iphone-table-525x367.jpg  

Thanks

Nice But how does it know when you put it down?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

It's not just me that think the vibrate in the 5 is massively louder than the vibrate in a 4?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Could they make it not vibe when on a call. Having the phone vibrate against the side of the head is really annoying.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wiipro View Post
    i do not know how it does it but this is great when i an in a board meeting thanks for the cool tweak.

Thanks

I wonder why this is available on iPods and iPads since I'm pretty sure they don't vibrate.

Green Apple
    Thanks

My assumption is when the phone rings it takes a reading from the accelerometer and if it reports that it is parallel to the ground then it will turn off the vibrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Could they make it not vibe when on a call. Having the phone vibrate against the side of the head is really annoying.
    You can get a tweak called RingerX Lite that has just that feature. It's great because you used to have to pay for RingerX VIP, but the developer released the free Lite version. There are other features to the tweak, but I only use it to stop the annoying vibrate from going off when I'm on a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    I wonder why this is available on iPods and iPads since I'm pretty sure they don't vibrate.
    Probably to use the feature where you go into DnD mode when face down.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Outrager For This Useful Post:

Cokeman (02-26-2013), Nick Hesson (02-26-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone carlbgc's Avatar
    Thanks

Outstanding

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

lol you guys are complicating how it works. it just uses the proximity sensor constantly to notice if its lying down or not. Always on proximity uses the same techniques to turn the screen on and off. This will make a difference on battery life but so far for me its not noticeable

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    lol you guys are complicating how it works. it just uses the proximity sensor constantly to notice if its lying down or not. Always on proximity uses the same techniques to turn the screen on and off. This will make a difference on battery life but so far for me its not noticeable
    The tweak also (supposedly) works if the device is placed face-up on a flat surface, where the proximity sensor would report that the device is "in the open air," and would keep vibrating. If the tweak worked just via proximity sensor, every time the device was placed in an enclosed space like a pocket or purse, the vibration function would cease working. Therefore, if the tweak were only to use the proximity sensor, there'd be a fairly serious design disconnect (or I'm seriously missing a piece of how the proximity sensor works or is being cleverly harnessed).

Personally, I'd guess that the tweak uses a combination of accelerometer (to determine orientation and speed--it may be programmed to only kick on if relatively still) and gyroscope if available.

OT: Frankly, I don't see this as being terribly useful... I think the older "flip to silence/ignore notifications" is about as good as an idea as this feature will bear.

*T*
    Thanks

This is stupid. It might seem like a novelty now but this will quickly become a problem. Since this disables notifications no matter what way you put your phone on the table, you are going to miss things like important calls and texts.

I don't see why people have such a problem with their phone vibrating. God forbid whoever you are sitting with is subjected to a brief moment of vibration. It's better than whatever annoying ringtone you probably have.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Morash View Post
    For me this concept came at a perfect time. I work on a television set and my phone on the hard table just vibrated ruining a take and getting me yelled at. I went to modmyi a few minutes later and saw this. I paid for and downloaded this tweak and guess what? It doesn't work! The icon in the status bar shows up saying it won't vibrate when I place it on the table, but the phone vibrated anyway. I wish this would work, it's a great idea.
    I should amend to say it appears to be working for notifications, but not for phone calls which are really what I want it for.
    Last edited by Tom Morash; 02-26-2013 at 07:33 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    This is stupid. It might seem like a novelty now but this will quickly become a problem. Since this disables notifications no matter what way you put your phone on the table, you are going to miss things like important calls and texts.

I don't see why people have such a problem with their phone vibrating. God forbid whoever you are sitting with is subjected to a brief moment of vibration. It's better than whatever annoying ringtone you probably have.
    Stupid is using it in a way that it was not intended.

Try to concentrate in professional office environment with the phones constantly vibrating.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    It's not just me that think the vibrate in the 5 is massively louder than the vibrate in a 4?
    You are correct. It is different hardware. The 4 and 4s have oscillating thingies, and all others have rotating thingies.
    Quaerite et invenietis.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ccoltmanm's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    The 5 is bigger.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Do not Disturb no work for me

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Gyroscope.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    i do not know how it does it but this is great when i an in a board meeting thanks for the cool tweak.
    the phone's gyro and accelerometer tell it when its flat

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does work with text messages👍, but _not_with incoming phone messages. 👎
    Which is bit of a bummer, considering the fact that it's a payed app and there was nothing to indicate this shortcoming.

Could this be repaired in the next upgrade, please?