Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: HTC Seeks to Convert iPhone Owners to HTC One Users

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,379
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 144 Times in 129 Posts

    Default HTC Seeks to Convert iPhone Owners to HTC One Users


    As it gets eclipsed by Samsung’s rise, HTC is currently planning to take back its market share in the smartphone sector by targeting iPhone owners. With the launch of the HTC One, the Taiwanese manufacturer will roll out a new version of its HTC Sync Manager desktop application, which will have an added feature: the ability to extract information from iPhone backup files. The information would allow iPhone owners switching to the One the ability to transfer photos, calendar entries, text messages, videos, and more.

    According to CNET Asia, it’s unclear whether the software will work across both PC and Mac platforms but the previous iterations did. As of right now, initial reactions to the One have been quite positive, with tech media praising the handset’s spec sheet, which includes a quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM, and a 1080 display as well as a high build quality unibody chassis. For those of you who are unfamiliar with it, the leaked image which circulated the web showcased a design closely resembling that of the iPhone 5.

    We don’t know if iPhone users will be attracted towards the One, especially since brand loyalty among iOS device users is a major driver behind the power and popularity of the platform, with some observers estimating a cumulative iOS customer value of $295 billion. Apple’s iOS ecosystem, both its app environment and accessory environment are both major factors in customer loyalty. It just so happens that many of the top apps in iOS are also available for Android, so HTC should be able to see some traction from that relatively soon. The manufacturer will still have a hard time though as getting iPhone users to abandon Apple’s ecosystem will be a tough obstacle.

    Source: CNET Asia

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fresno, Calli
    Posts
    2,014
    Thanks
    2,650
    Thanked 1,760 Times in 754 Posts

    Not this puppy!!! All of these phone are getting to big. I have held some of these big phones and they just don't feel right, unless your the jolly green giant and have big hands

  3. #3
    I've had an iPhone since the 3G, now I have the 5. This HTC is the best competition to the 5 I've seen so far. If apple doesnt do anytihng to compete with this I'd really consider this phone.

  4. #4
    Got that right, too big and not reliable enough, even if those issues were not present I would stick with my iPhone, I support American Companies. My friend has a newer HTC phone, he's on his 4th one now, they keep crapping out on him for various issues. He wishes he never switched from his iPhone to a crappy phone and system.

  5. #5
    *Sighs* What phone companies don't seem to realize is that a smartphone's software is just as important as its hardware. People like iOS because, while being obviously the most feature-rich (in terms of apps) phone out there, it's at the same time very simple and bare-bones. Using it (and personalizing it) isn't a chore. What I'd like to see is a company take the risk of pushing an entirely new operating system—or at least one powered by Android—to really "compete" out there. That, I think, would catch the attention of consumers.

  6. #6
    For those of you who are unfamiliar with it, the leaked image which circulated the web showcased a design closely resembling that of the iPhone 5.
    Man they officially announced it last week...

    Also, I can see an Apple lawsuit for making a way to unzip their backup data form.

  7. #7
    Ah! Loving it =)

    These new wave of android phones are murdering Apple right now. I really hope to see something besides adding an alarm widget to the notification center (suppose to be a joke because all iOS 6 added was facebook and twitter widgets) in iOS 7.

    iOS 7 will make or break Apple's future.

    Hopefully the HTC One is as smooth as the Note 2, but it should be because its clocked at 1.7 GHz quad core. Nice to see that all these new androids also do not have any lag as they use to in the past.

  8. #8
    Nice one

    Nice one, agreed

  9. #9
    My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    759
    Thanks
    400
    Thanked 78 Times in 62 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by pakitos View Post

    Also, I can see an Apple lawsuit for making a way to unzip their backup data form.
    There are softwares that can do that already.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by xzero View Post
    .

    iOS 7 will make or break Apple's future.
    I hope Apple does a major overhaul of iOS in the future...but I wouldn't expect sweeping changes with iOS 7. Didn't Apple just fire the original iOS designer and hire his replacement several months ago? It takes a LONG time to develop something new. Maybe iOS 8 will bring the big changes that the new guy wants to implement (assuming he wants to do that).

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by cgfusion View Post
    I support American Companies.
    Apple may be an American company, but nothing they make gets manufactured here. So who cares.

    Unfortunately, because of Apple's lack of innovation the new S4 will take over this March.

  12. #12
    Wait wait.. You're telling me people want to get their competitors consumers!?

  13. #13
    What's Jailbreak? mwo2616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dallas area
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Had an IPhone 4S, got the HTC ONE X when it came out, went back to iPhone 5 when it came out! Enough said!

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to mwo2616 For This Useful Post:

    vinaygoel2000 (02-26-2013)

  15. #14
    Either iOS/iPhones would have to tank in usability, or apps would have to be free to move from one platform to the other for me to move from iOS to Android. I have nothing against Android, but iOS currently suits all of my needs from a mobile device and the investment in the apps will be a significant barrier to get me to move.

    All the haters and fanboys on both sides can go kick rocks for all I care. They are pathetic. Especially the uniquely pathetic Apple haters that actually bother to come onto an Apple-only blog to hate. They must have the most sad, lonely and pathetic lives of anyone in the world to be so desperate for attention. I'm looking at you, Xzero and Hogcia!

    Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Apple may be an American company, but nothing they make gets manufactured here. So who cares.

    Unfortunately, because of Apple's lack of innovation the new S4 will take over this March.
    Apple creates thousands of American jobs and pays into the system with millions in tax dollars. You can't say that for any other phone maker. So that's why we care.

    Also, glad to know you can see into the future and know that the S4 will be that great. Seeing as even the iPhone 4S beat out the GSIII in sales last quarter, Sammy better hope they pull out something good, and it better be more than a 0.1" bump in screen size!
    Last edited by fleurya; 02-26-2013 at 12:15 PM.

  16. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    Either iOS/iPhones would have to tank in usability, or apps would have to be free to move from one platform to the other for me to move from iOS to Android. I have nothing against Android, but iOS currently suits all of my needs from a mobile device and the investment in the apps will be a significant barrier to get me to move.

    All the haters and fanboys on both sides can go kick rocks for all I care. They are pathetic. Especially the uniquely pathetic Apple haters that actually bother to come onto an Apple-only blog to hate. They must have the most sad, lonely and pathetic lives of anyone in the world to be so desperate for attention. I'm looking at you, Xzero and Hogcia!



    Apple creates thousands of American jobs and pays into the system with millions in tax dollars. You can't say that for any other phone maker. So that's why we care.

    Also, glad to know you can see into the future and know that the S4 will be that great. Seeing as even the iPhone 4S beat out the GSIII in sales last quarter, Sammy better hope they pull out something good, and it better be more than a 0.1" bump in screen size!
    you do understand your comparing a $99 dollar iphone to a $199 gs3? You wanna talk crap about android fanboys, yet here you are sucking the sweet tit of apple! you are sad. accept your iphone days of being the best are over at least for now. and just because something sells more does not make it better. More people ***** on this site about what apple doesn't have instead of what they do have. That should tell you something. I love people like you though, when a new iphone comes out i get to sell them to people like you for a insane amount, too easy. Keep on riding the apple bus to mediocrity. Nothing last forever...blind leading the blind.

  17. #16
    iPhone-killer is a term that's been bandied with casual abandon about since the first iPhone - but no phone until now, has held a serious candle to Apple's offerings.
    This phone is so remarkable, it scarcely seems like an Android device.
    Once people see it and feel it, they will want it ... and forsake their iPhones at the earliest opportunity.
    Bravo, HTC!

  18. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Not this puppy!!! All of these phone are getting to big. I have held some of these big phones and they just don't feel right, unless your the jolly green giant and have big hands
    I hate how so many people lie about holding certain Android phones and saying they're too big--that's a bunch of BS. the Galaxy S3 is MORE comfortable to hold than the iPhone 4/4S/5 its shape, weight and size was made for comfort.

    If my wife with her small woman hands have no problem holding it I don't see how any man could. Even the Note 2 which is bigger than the Note is comfortable to hold, moreso than the Note because its designed like the S3.

  19. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post
    *Sighs* What phone companies don't seem to realize is that a smartphone's software is just as important as its hardware. People like iOS because, while being obviously the most feature-rich (in terms of apps) phone out there, it's at the same time very simple and bare-bones. Using it (and personalizing it) isn't a chore. What I'd like to see is a company take the risk of pushing an entirely new operating system—or at least one powered by Android—to really "compete" out there. That, I think, would catch the attention of consumers.
    This has to be the most backwards post, I've read in a long time.

    Feature rich? Have you even seen the features of Jellybean or Key Lime Pie? For starters a Google Nexus 4 already has toggles built into the notification area. There is absolutely no reason to root or jailbreak, as it were, the device at all. These simple things come right out of the box.

    Widgets on the lockscreen to make some things easier to review: Weather, even RSS feeds if you wish or email. All, again, out of the box, without the need to install any 'tweaks' or unlocking the OS.

    Simplicity? I have no idea what that entails because that is usually reserved to each person individually, but I figure that all phones with touchscreens have the same basic premise: push here and open your application. Pretty simple to me.

    How is personalizing it a chore? There is nothing to personalise about an iPhone except if you wish to change a ringtone or the wallpaper. You can't even place your icons anywhere you want without jailbreaking (and wait for an upgrade to boot) - This is possible on Android without any hacking.

    Furthermore, if you want your music sync'd, just connect your phone to a PC, then - when prompted - load the phone as a USB Storage Device and dump all your music files, or ANY other file thereafter just by copying and pasting. iTunes be damned. I tried to sync a damn notification tone that I found while at work, but because my music resides on my PC at home - and my phone sync'd with it - I couldn't sync that one lowly tone; and if I did, I would have lost all my music until I got home. How's that for simple?

    Ubuntu for Smartphones was released not too long ago; you could give that a try as well.

    For the record, I currently own an iPhone 5, but I'm not that cynical to say that iOS and iPhone are the standard for smartphones. If it is, then the entire industry is in serious trouble.

  20. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post


    For those of you who are unfamiliar with it, the leaked image which circulated the web showcased a design closely resembling that of the iPhone 5.
    Mr. Fanboi, puh-lease get some glasses next time you are out of the house...

  21. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    iOS' simplicity and bare bones is its shortcoming. this past week Ive had a couple of real-world situations in which my iPhone came up short and I wished I had my Note instead.

    1st situation
    : I took some photos of some damaged property at work the other day and my boss needed them. first thing he says is for me to plug my phone into the computer and save the photos to a folder. I told him the iPhone cannot do that. Id have to first download iTunes., get the IT guy to allow me to install it. plug in and sync my phone (putting all my personal info on the City's computer) then copy the pictures.

    2nd situation: he says to then just email them to him. the problem was I couldn't attach the photos to the email he typed because iOS doesn't allow that--I had to send an email from the gallery which also limited me to just 5 photos. So I had to send 5 emails (25 photos) and keep pasting the contents of the email (4 times total)

    On a personal note: I wanted to download a video from youtube to add to my playlist--not the video but the audio as it was a live concert. from my Note I was able with just one app., paste the URL of the video into the app., the app automatically downloaded the video, converted it to MP3, downloaded the MP3 and alerted me via notification. all this took about 3 minutes. all I had to do manually was browse my SD card and cut/paste the MP3 to my music folder. open up my media player and then add the file to my playlist. the iPhone--even jailbroken can not do this.

    so you are right when you say that companies dont seem to realize that a smart phone's software is as important as its hardware. Google and its Android partners already understand this and let user use their phones the way THEY want to. unlike apple who dictates to you how you should use your phone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •