+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 6.1.3 Patches evasi0n Jailbreak Exploit

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Simon A jailbreak doesn't cause a vulnerability. A jailbreak is born from a vulnerability. Very true!
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    A jailbreak doesn't cause a vulnerability. A jailbreak is born from a vulnerability.
    Very true!

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Is there a good way to back up jailbreak tweaks on 6.1.1?

Thanks
    Thanked 15,019 Times in 6,925 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    Is there a good way to back up jailbreak tweaks on 6.1.1?
    openbackup

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (02-26-2013), PokemonDesigner (02-26-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

openbackup
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,712 Times in 4,399 Posts

openbackup
    Have you had a successful restore with OpenBackup yet, Simon? Either BackUp Restore main method or the .deb method? I had trouble with both on my iPhone 4 6.1 to 6.1.2, but haven't tried on my 5 yet.

And does the OpenBackup method have the potential for keeping bad things in your backup that you are experiencing now? Like PKGBkup is known for - certain prefs files, etc.

Last question - how do you save chat conversations when you do a full restore and then get them back?

TIA
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Have you had a successful restore with OpenBackup yet, Simon? Either BackUp Restore main method or the .deb method? I had trouble with both on my iPhone 4 6.1 to 6.1.2, but haven't tried on my 5 yet.

And does the OpenBackup method have the potential for keeping bad things in your backup that you are experiencing now? Like PKGBkup is known for - certain prefs files, etc.

Last question - how do you save chat conversations when you do a full restore and then get them back?

TIA
    Yes, I used the full .deb backup method going from 6.1 to 6.1.2. Had no issues, went very smoothly. I don't see how it could cause any real issues for a incremental update like this. It doesn't save your preferences or anything like that, only the packages that were installed. The iTunes backup saves the preferences for everything, even the jailbreak stuff. So I guess it has the same potential as any normal itunes backup (from a jailbroken device) but if you weren't having problems before you shouldn't have problems after.

Chat conversations like imessage and SMS? With the itunes backup.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (02-26-2013)

Thanks

Yes, I used the full .deb backup method going from 6.1 to 6.1.2. Had no issues, went very smoothly. I don't see how it could cause any real issues for a incremental update like this. It doesn't save your preferences or anything like that, only the packages that were installed. The iTunes backup saves the preferences for everything, even the jailbreak stuff. So I guess it has the same potential as any normal itunes backup (from a jailbroken device) but if you weren't having problems before you shouldn't have problems after.

Chat conversations like imessage and SMS? With the itunes backup.
    Ok. If you'll look in the .debs method folders instructions you'll see that there is a folder containing preferences too - that is copied back even in the .deb method. That's what I was wondering about. I feel more comfortable with the .deb method too. Did you notice having to Reboot as many as three time before all the icons for the Cydia stuff appeared on the desktop?

And I was unclear if the file called 'lock' and the folder called 'Partial' were also to be placed in the Cydia/AutoInstall folder in the restore process for debs. I did 'NOT' include them because they're NOT .deb files. And that may have caused some of my problems with my 4. Do you think?

Thanks,
    Grant

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

TIA
    Hey if you are still wondering how to back up chat conversations for the Messages application if you have a mac you can download an application called iExplorer and it will allow you to back up individual messages and a lot of other content that iTunes will not allow you access to by default. It is also available on windows btw

Thanks

Ok. If you'll look in the .debs method folders instructions you'll see that there is a folder containing preferences too - that is copied back even in the .deb method. That's what I was wondering about. I feel more comfortable with the .deb method too. Did you notice having to Reboot as many as three time before all the icons for the Cydia stuff appeared on the desktop?

And I was unclear if the file called 'lock' and the folder called 'Partial' were also to be placed in the Cydia/AutoInstall folder in the restore process for debs. I did 'NOT' include them because they're NOT .deb files. And that may have caused some of my problems with my 4. Do you think?

Thanks,
    Grant
    You shouldn't need the partial, that is just .debs that didn't or aren't finished. I don't know about the lock file. I didn't move it back, I just did the .debs. So it sounds like we did the same thing there. I don't see where it saves the preferences though. It says in the info tab in the actual app that it backs it up to icloud or itunes so I just assumed that is part of the regular itunes backup process. I could be wrong though. Best person to ask this stuff to is Zokunei. He frequents our random chat thread, just drop a line in there and he should get back to you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (02-26-2013)

Thanks

You shouldn't need the partial, that is just .debs that didn't or aren't finished. I don't know about the lock file. I didn't move it back, I just did the .debs. So it sounds like we did the same thing there. I don't see where it saves the preferences though. It says in the info tab in the actual app that it backs it up to icloud or itunes so I just assumed that is part of the regular itunes backup process. I could be wrong though. Best person to ask this stuff to is Zokunei. He frequents our random chat thread, just drop a line in there and he should get back to you.
    Thanks I will drop a line to him! Thaszar is also pretty knowledgable about this product. Thanks, sir!
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

Simon (02-26-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Padgoi View Post
    Due for an upgrade in May. iPhone will be put to rest. I'm going over to the Android family. Apple has no idea nor do they care what their consumers actually want.
    I think they care but at this point they only care about new customers. They dont care about the people that have been with them for years. That is the sad reality here.........

+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234