Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: White House Petition to Legalize Cell Phone Unlocking Gets 100K Signatures

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,852
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

    Default White House Petition to Legalize Cell Phone Unlocking Gets 100K Signatures


    It looks like the White House petition drafted to reverse the questionable policy change that outlaws unlocking newer cell phones has been a success. The policy isn't reversed yet, but the securing of 100,000 signatures mandates a look - and a response - from the White House.

    As MMi has covered in great detail this year, the controversy in question began when the Register of Copyrights at the Library of Congress determined that unlocking mobile phones would no longer be permissible. A 90-day window, which was established for people to still buy a phone and unlock it, closed at the end of January.

    As of now, it is against the law for certain mobile phone owners to unlock their devices for use on other carriers. Understandably, many consumers were not happy with the new policy and a White House petition was drafted in hopes of undoing the policy change.

    100,000 signatures were required by the February 23rd deadline. As of 11:00 pm EST on February 22nd, the petition has 109,316 signatures.

    Source: WhiteHouse.gov

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

    iH85CH001 (02-23-2013), zplit (02-22-2013)

  3. #2
    Awesome!

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to jwil736 For This Useful Post:

    Geeksqud88 (02-23-2013)

  5. #3
    Shouldn't ModMyi have been promoting this?

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zokunei For This Useful Post:

    cpotoso (02-24-2013), iH85CH001 (02-23-2013)

  7. #4
    Nice
    pain & time and glory

  8. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Shouldn't ModMyi have been promoting this?
    We did

    We Tweeted it more than once and we published an article here:

    White House Petition to Legalize Cell Phone Unlocking Gains Steam

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

    cpotoso (02-24-2013), Zokunei (02-23-2013), zplit (02-22-2013)

  10. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Shouldn't ModMyi have been promoting this?
    They did thanks to MMI I got my name on the list.
    Instagram: zplit
    Twitter: zplit

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to zplit For This Useful Post:

    iH85CH001 (02-23-2013)

  12. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Shouldn't ModMyi have been promoting this?
    Anthony did a bunch! He tweeted the progress.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Raybeast For This Useful Post:

    iH85CH001 (02-23-2013)

  14. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by zplit View Post
    They did thanks to MMI I got my name on the list.
    I did too thanks to n00neimp0rtant's tweet.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Zokunei For This Useful Post:

    iH85CH001 (02-23-2013)

  16. #9
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    942
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 54 Times in 51 Posts

    TBH, and I'll probably get flamed for this, but what is the big deal here? To me this is going to bring on the end of subsidized phones. We'll all be paying $650-$850 for our new iPhones once this passes in my mind. If you are paying to be locked into a 2 year contract, why not accept the fact that you should only be able to use the phone on that carrier? Do I unlock my phones? Yes. I even offer it as a service to my customers. But is it unreasonable for carriers to want to give you a reason to stay with them for 2 years. No. This issue is far too broad.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

    iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to iRevival For This Useful Post:

    *T* (02-23-2013)

  18. #10
    Sug Luv Super Moderator 2k1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hammond Louisiana
    Posts
    34,059
    Thanks
    1,815
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

    Agree followed and signed myself

  19. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by iRevival View Post
    TBH, and I'll probably get flamed for this, but what is the big deal here? To me this is going to bring on the end of subsidized phones. We'll all be paying $650-$850 for our new iPhones once this passes in my mind. If you are paying to be locked into a 2 year contract, why not accept the fact that you should only be able to use the phone on that carrier? Do I unlock my phones? Yes. I even offer it as a service to my customers. But is it unreasonable for carriers to want to give you a reason to stay with them for 2 years. No. This issue is far too broad.
    Come on folks. This argument has been beaten to death 10^6 times.
    Unlocking a phone does not get you out of a two-year contract or exempt you from early-termination fees.

    Many thanks to ModMyI for highlighting and following-up with this one.

  20. #12
    Just because I unlock my phone does not mean I'm going to jump ship from my carrier. If I travel abroad I shouldn't have to pay 5 bucks a minute to use my phone when I can buy a local sim and use my phone there.

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roadw3 For This Useful Post:

    cpotoso (02-24-2013), vinaygoel2000 (02-23-2013)

  22. #13
    I travel abroad frequently and $5+ a min kind of hurts the pockets after a while. That's one of the main reason why people unlock phones. US carriers are already getting too much $$$ from the customers. They want to get even more by locking the phones and have you pay more $$$ to use it abroad on their international plans. I signed the petition and hope it gets approved.
    Last edited by Biggie_S2k; 02-23-2013 at 07:43 AM.

  23. #14
    The only reason this didn't get more sig's is filling out all the paper work, They don't make it easy,If you've watched the NEWS lately it show's what IDIOT'S WE ELECT to run our USA

  24. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by vtails View Post
    The only reason this didn't get more sig's is filling out all the paper work, They don't make it easy,If you've watched the NEWS lately it show's what IDIOT'S WE ELECT to run our USA
    Signing this petition was one of the easiest things I've ever done.

  25. #16
    Swiftunlocks was running a promotion where you could sign the petition and get a free att iphone unlock. Got several family members to sign and ended up with 10 free unlocks from iphone 4s to 5. Just did the last one today with an itunes restore.

  26. #17
    Wait, why not just buy an unlocked phone? Doesn't manufacturers like Apple sell unlocked phones?

  27. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohand View Post
    Wait, why not just buy an unlocked phone? Doesn't manufacturers like Apple sell unlocked phones?
    That's an option, but costs hundreds of dollars more for the buyer in the long run.

  28. #19
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    615
    Thanks
    858
    Thanked 448 Times in 235 Posts

    if u wanted an unlocked phone u shouldve bought an unlocked phone these sell as little as 25 bucks they may not be an iphone but they will allow u to talk in other countries or whatever im sorry but when u signed a two year contract u knew what u were getting into and if u didnt know then thats your fault for not researching it the real solultion is for people to boycott att or whatever carrier and let them know that they will be terminating service if they cant use other sims if they seen that kinda response and it hurt the bottom line u would see a change so fast it would make ure head spin the registar of copyrights didnt just wake up and do this u can bet they were under pressure from cell phone companies to do it

  29. #20
    iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    241
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 25 Times in 20 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor64 View Post
    if u wanted an unlocked phone u shouldve bought an unlocked phone these sell as little as 25 bucks they may not be an iphone but they will allow u to talk in other countries or whatever im sorry but when u signed a two year contract u knew what u were getting into and if u didnt know then thats your fault for not researching it the real solultion is for people to boycott att or whatever carrier and let them know that they will be terminating service if they cant use other sims if they seen that kinda response and it hurt the bottom line u would see a change so fast it would make ure head spin the registar of copyrights didnt just wake up and do this u can bet they were under pressure from cell phone companies to do it
    What part of this does nothing to get you out of early termination fees do you not understand. This is only made to push higher profits for these carriers and nothing more. The argument you are making has been debunked so many times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •