+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iOS 6.1.3 Beta 2 Released to Developers

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple Thursday afternoon seeded iOS 6.1.3 beta 2 to iOS developers for testing. iOS 6.1.3 beta 2 is the second beta of the iOS 6.1.1 beta that was seeded to
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,075
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 764 Posts

    Default iOS 6.1.3 Beta 2 Released to Developers


    Apple Thursday afternoon seeded iOS 6.1.3 beta 2 to iOS developers for testing. iOS 6.1.3 beta 2 is the second beta of the iOS 6.1.1 beta that was seeded to developers a couple of weeks ago, although it has been renamed because the latest version of iOS is currently iOS 6.1.2 and iOS 6.1.1 was the chosen name for a hot-fix on the iPhone 4S.

    iOS 6.1.3 includes all of the improvements to the Maps application that were included in the iOS 6.1.1 beta, including the additional support for Japan, optimized directions, and improved road pronunciation as pointed out by 9to5Mac.

    In today’s beta version, iOS 6.1.3 appears to have fixed the iOS 6.1 lock screen security issue that could allow someone to bypass your passcode and access information such as your contacts, photos, phone history, and more. Apple made an official comment about the security issue, saying "Apple takes user security very seriously. We are aware of this issue, and will deliver a fix in a future software update."

    It is not yet known if the update patches the evais0n jailbreak. It is recommended that users avoid the update when it is released to the public until hackers have made an official announcement on what to do. Being that the update is only in the second beta, it probably has a while to go still before it hits the public's hands.

    Sources: 9to5Mac
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 02-21-2013 at 12:40 PM.

  2. #2
    iPhoneaholic MXCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    418
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts

    I say it'll be out by next Friday. But damn really 3 software updates in a month?
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

  3. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone WithinTemptationFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    "Anywhere But Home"...
    Posts
    169
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 36 Times in 20 Posts

    What's up with all these updates??

  4. #4
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Apple be facking up lol

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gotgbus For This Useful Post:

    Airwaves182 (02-21-2013), Jokadaking (02-21-2013)

  6. #5
    ----NewD 2.0---- NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,814
    Thanks
    4,189
    Thanked 8,986 Times in 4,507 Posts

    These are legitimate updates for problem issue. My how quickly we forget. Doesn't everyone remember 4.2.1, 4.2.2 ----> 4.2.8!! Then 4.3--> 4.3.3.. This is pretty typical for Apple. Only getting up to 5.1.1 last time was the oddball.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  7. #6
    .artwork assassin Jato_BZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,022
    Thanks
    3,200
    Thanked 5,905 Times in 2,003 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by WithinTemptationFan View Post
    What's up with all these updates??
    Hidden agendas???
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

    King_O_Hill (02-21-2013)

  9. #7
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    369
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 38 Times in 32 Posts

    It will be interesting to see what Apple does in the final release of 6.1.3. They have a chance to be nice guys here and patch only the security holes.
    The evasi0n jailbreak isn't a security threat, since you need the passcode lock (and any password for an encrypted backup) disabled.

    Patching the jailbreak would only spoil the fun for a large number of Apple fans, who also happen to enjoy jailbreaking. I wonder if Apple can afford to do that right now?

  10. #8
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,075
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 764 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    It will be interesting to see what Apple does in the final release of 6.1.3. They have a chance to be nice guys here and patch only the security holes.
    The evasi0n jailbreak isn't a security threat, since you need the passcode lock (and any password for an encrypted backup) disabled.

    Patching the jailbreak would only spoil the fun for a large number of Apple fans, who also happen to enjoy jailbreaking. I wonder if Apple can afford to do that right now?
    In Apple's eyes, the exploits used to jailbreak are security holes. If the evad3rs can generate a tool that can run third-party code on an iPhone, so can a malicious hacker. That being said, they will probably be patched.

  11. #9
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,481
    Thanks
    6,785
    Thanked 15,187 Times in 6,971 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    These are legitimate updates for problem issue. My how quickly we forget. Doesn't everyone remember 4.2.1, 4.2.2 ----> 4.2.8!! Then 4.3--> 4.3.3.. This is pretty typical for Apple. Only getting up to 5.1.1 last time was the oddball.
    4.2.8 wasn't in the same line of updates as 4.2.1 and 4.2.2. It was a Verizon iPhone only firmware. You are spot on with 4.3>4.3.5. If I recall the untethered jailbreak that came with 4.3 wasn't patched until 4.3.3 very similarly to the jailbreak now. That was when i0nic provided the untether and had his 15 minutes of jailbreak fame.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

    King_O_Hill (02-21-2013)

  13. #10
    Livin the iPhone Life WhyNotCallMeRo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Inside a Plist but lost within' a minute
    Posts
    2,657
    Thanks
    2,600
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,089 Posts

    Can I download this somewhere without dev. Account?
    I want the blob

  14. #11
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts

    Apple playing a game of cat and mouse with the jailbreak! Will they/won't they fix it! Or maybe they have tried and failed lol

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpySod For This Useful Post:

    primalscream.40 (02-21-2013)

  16. #12
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts

    I don't believe there is any cat and mouse game going on here, if apple could patch the exploit with an update, they would have by now, the fact that they haven't suggests they cant pinpoint the hole. I agree with Anthony's comment above, an exploit is a security flaw and they must be seen to eliminate any kind of hole in the softwares code.

  17. #13
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    369
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 38 Times in 32 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by dazdaman80 View Post
    I don't believe there is any cat and mouse game going on here, if apple could patch the exploit with an update, they would have by now, the fact that they haven't suggests they cant pinpoint the hole. I agree with Anthony's comment above, an exploit is a security flaw and they must be seen to eliminate any kind of hole in the softwares code.
    Respectfully, you're wrong on at least one point. Even if you don't rate Apple's own security capabilities, the exploits used in Evasi0n were plastered all over the internet by independent security researchers within 24 hours of its release. Apple knows exactly where the holes are. They're either waiting because they want to make 100% sure their patches are watertight, or (just maybe - for whatever reason) they aren't in such a rush to patch it.

    I also have to disagree about evasi0n being a security hole. If a third party asked you to plug your iphone in to your computer, take off the password and run their software on your PC, whilst tapping certain icons that magically appeared on your phone, would you do it? If you're really that gullible, please PM me your SSN and bank account number.

  18. #14
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,075
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 764 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    I also have to disagree about evasi0n being a security hole. If a third party asked you to plug your iphone in to your computer, take off the password and run their software on your PC, whilst tapping certain icons that magically appeared on your phone, would you do it? If you're really that gullible, please PM me your SSN and bank account number.
    It's a massive security hole – it allowed third party code to get into your device didn't it?

    Granted evasi0n asks you if you want to jailbreak and doesn't do anything until you click jailbreak, but a malicious hacker trying to steal your information might not be as kind as to ask if you want to run the third party code or not. They might just do it behind the scenes when you plug your device in.

    Evasi0n itself isn't the security hole. It's the security holes that led to evasi0n being possible that Apple needs to fix to secure their system, and that's exactly why they patch the jailbreak constantly. They don't see a jailbreak as fun, like we all do, because the jailbreak hackers are exploiting the security holes.

    A good example of the situation I'm trying to explain is the JailbreakMe 3.0 Web site for iOS 4.3. Remember when comex released a jailbreak tweak that patched the PDF exploit after the jailbreak used it? He did this because if he didn't, other non-JailbreakMe Web sites could have exploited the same security hole and installed malware on your device.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 02-21-2013 at 06:20 PM.

  19. #15
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    369
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 38 Times in 32 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    It's a massive security hole it allowed third party code to get into your device didn't it?

    Granted evasi0n asks you if you want to jailbreak and doesn't do anything until you click jailbreak, but a malicious hacker trying to steal your information might not be as kind as to ask if you want to run the third party code or not. They might just do it behind the scenes when you plug your device in.

    Evasi0n itself isn't the security hole. It's the security holes that led to evasi0n being possible that Apple needs to fix to secure their system, and that's exactly why they patch the jailbreak constantly. They don't see a jailbreak as fun, like we all do, because the jailbreak hackers are exploiting the security holes.

    A good example of the situation I'm trying to explain is the JailbreakMe 3.0 Web site for iOS 4.3. Remember when comex released a jailbreak tweak that patched the PDF exploit after the jailbreak used it? He did this because if he didn't, other non-JailbreakMe Web sites could have exploited the same security hole and installed malware on your device.
    I agree with you about PDF exploits, but USB/backup exploits are different because they can't get in unless you take off those password/passcode locks. Just leave an encrypted backup on your home machine and don't plug your device into strange machines. (Everybody should be following that practice anyway.)

  20. #16
    Super Galactic Moderator Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Omicron Persei Eight
    Posts
    5,697
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 575 Times in 525 Posts

    It is worth noting that evasi0n and its related exploits require:

    1) Physical access to the device--no remote initiation or execution here.
    2) A compromised computer the user is connected to via USB--evasi0n doesn't install itself on the iPhone.
    3) Passcodes disabled--the USB code execution can't start if the device is still locked down and refusing USB connections.
    4) Getting the user to open a particular application on the device after the USB code execution has completed.

    Needless to say, it'd have to be a pretty complicated phish or trojan program to get a user to unwittingly dance through all those steps. Apple does not have the same sense of urgency that a remote-execution program (with no user intervention needed, vis--vis JBME "Star" or "Saffron") would necessitate.

    However, a security hole is a security hole, and evasi0n at its core totally defeats the entire userspace and kernel's security systems and allows for total root privileged access and unsigned code execution across the device.

  21. #17
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,075
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 764 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    I agree with you about PDF exploits, but USB/backup exploits are different because they can't get in unless you take off those password/passcode locks. Just leave an encrypted backup on your home machine and don't plug your device into strange machines. (Everybody should be following that practice anyway.)
    There are also a lot of people that don't use passcodes, or there could be a number of people that use passcodes but might leave their device unlocked on their desk while they get sidetracked to do something else.

    There are a lot of strange situations that could happen, but for the most part you're spot-on with the fact that the exploits evasi0n itself uses could only be used maliciously in strange or non-likely situations. The possibility of these strange situations, while potentially unlikely, is the awareness I'm trying to bring.

    Also another thing that could be considered is that the evasi0n team say they have even more exploits that they've saved for future firmware updates. Who's to say that a malicious hacker wouldn't use those exploits or similar ones instead of all of the ones evasi0n uses? These are the predictions Apple has to take into consideration when they secure iOS.

    Anyway, good conversation.

  22. #18
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    369
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 38 Times in 32 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    There are also a lot of people that don't use passcodes, or there could be a number of people that use passcodes but might leave their device unlocked on their desk while they get sidetracked to do something else.
    At the risk of stating the obvious... If somebody leaves their device lying around without a passcode lock, I don't need complicated jailbreak exploits to compromise their data :-)

    I understand why Apple will one day patch this, but I hope (as Orby says) they don't consider this one too urgent.

  23. #19
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Why are people upset about lots of updates?

    Apple is quickly finding and fixing problems. Would you rather there be a problem and have them take forever to fix it?

  24. #20
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    203
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by letmusicring View Post
    Why are people upset about lots of updates?

    Apple is quickly finding and fixing problems. Would you rather there be a problem and have them take forever to fix it?
    because i think Apple is trying to patch evasion... that's why we're complaining

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts