Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iOS 6.1.3 Beta 2 Released to Developers

  1. #21
    My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    748
    Thanks
    397
    Thanked 76 Times in 61 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by letmusicring View Post
    Why are people upset about lots of updates?

    Apple is quickly finding and fixing problems. Would you rather there be a problem and have them take forever to fix it?
    Coz then I have to DFU restore, re-jailbreak and start from scratch with all apps and cydia tweaks. I'm still on 6.1. Haven't updated to 6.1.2.

  2. #22
    Thumbs down Crapple greed, Not care what people's need.
    Quote Originally Posted by WithinTemptationFan View Post
    What's up with all these updates??
    Crapple trying to push ios 7 for their next big trash iphone 5s? By the time we get iphone 5s on ios 7 NOBODY ready to finish updating ios 6.x.x...

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    Patching the jailbreak would only spoil the fun for a large number of Apple fans, who also happen to enjoy jailbreaking. I wonder if Apple can afford to do that right now?
    That large number pales next to the much larger number of idevices out there. Jailbreakers are fewer than 10% of idevice users. Apple has routinely patched the patchable holes jailbreaks rely on quickly. Apple just plain hates jailbreaking. Bring an obviously jailbroken phone in for service to an apple store and they'll tell you you've voided your warranty. They do not care about upsetting jailbreakers, but they're happy to borrow features first demonstrated by jailbreakers.

  4. #24
    The only reason they are patching so quick is 6.0 is crap. Apple has been loosing their quality control since the map fiasco and the they put out 6.0 has been nothing but trouble.

    And yes evasi0n and any jailbreak is a security risk. It opens the door. Now anything can run on your iPhone cause the permissions has been bypassed/disabled.

    But this also why I bought an iPhone years ago
    Last edited by towboattrash34; 02-22-2013 at 01:22 AM.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    Respectfully, you're wrong on at least one point. Even if you don't rate Apple's own security capabilities, the exploits used in Evasi0n were plastered all over the internet by independent security researchers within 24 hours of its release. Apple knows exactly where the holes are. They're either waiting because they want to make 100% sure their patches are watertight, or (just maybe - for whatever reason) they aren't in such a rush to patch it.

    I also have to disagree about evasi0n being a security hole. If a third party asked you to plug your iphone in to your computer, take off the password and run their software on your PC, whilst tapping certain icons that magically appeared on your phone, would you do it? If you're really that gullible, please PM me your SSN and bank account number.
    I agree but one thing...

    YOU BURNED HIM SO BAD!!!!!!

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by icebox93 View Post
    That large number pales next to the much larger number of idevices out there. Jailbreakers are fewer than 10% of idevice users. Apple has routinely patched the patchable holes jailbreaks rely on quickly. Apple just plain hates jailbreaking. Bring an obviously jailbroken phone in for service to an apple store and they'll tell you you've voided your warranty. They do not care about upsetting jailbreakers, but they're happy to borrow features first demonstrated by jailbreakers.
    So true. Then take out the people who would still buy an iDevice without a jailbreak and that number gets a lot smaller.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Perceptum View Post
    So true. Then take out the people who would still buy an iDevice without a jailbreak and that number gets a lot smaller.
    Absolutely. Those of us in forum land for jailbreaking mods - tend to think of ourselves as more larger a demographic for Apple than we really are. They're going after our jailbreaks one the exact same level as any other security threat. If they DIDN'T go after the exploits our devs find I would think that was very strange. LOL!! Security is a legal issue too. If they DON'T try to protect their end user they could be leaving themselves open to all sorts of legal suits. They 'have' to treat our devs as security threats. It will never stop.

    Then you ask - well WHY NOT for ANDROID? Well because Android is an OS only - not a piece of hardware. Android iOS is a chosen iOS by MANY DIFFERENT companies. Is security breaches happen who do they go after? Samsung? Nokia? Apple is a hardware AND OS company all in one. They can be sued. You can't sue 'Android'. There's no 'android' company - per se. At least not that releases its OWN hardware.

  8. #28
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    168
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts

    Actually I was steaming mad at Apple for doing so many updates so soon, but now I see that 6.1.1 was just for the 4S, so I'll cut them a little slack about it. But just to reiterate, they left 6.0.1 alone for almost a whole month. But then Jailbreak? Boom, Update, Update, Update.

    And yes, Android, even Microsoft Windows for that matter, are OS's only. The Apple OS, iOS, are to be used in tandem with an Apple Device. Even though people do install MACOS onto PC's. But this was Steve Job's pet peeve: He always considered the MACOS to be part of the system just like the Hardware. But even regular MACOS's can be themed and modded.

    I think there are more Jailbreakers and Jailbroken iPhones than any demographic can account for. I don't know, about two in five of every iPhone or iPad user I've met has Jailbroken, and even mroe in the last 2 years.
    Last edited by XweAponX; 02-22-2013 at 08:04 PM.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    Actually I was steaming mad at Apple for doing so many updates so soon, but now I see that 6.1.1 was just for the 4S, so I'll cut them a little slack about it. But just to reiterate, they left 6.0.1 alone for almost a whole month. But then Jailbreak? Boom, Update, Update, Update.

    And yes, Android, even Microsoft Windows for that matter, are OS's only. The Apple OS, iOS, are to be used in tandem with an Apple Device. Even though people do install MACOS onto PC's. But this was Steve Job's pet peeve: He always considered the MACOS to be part of the system just like the Hardware. But even regular MACOS's can be themed and modded.

    I think there are more Jailbreakers and Jailbroken iPhones than any demographic can account for. I don't know, about two in five of every iPhone or iPad user I've met has Jailbroken, and even mroe in the last 2 years.
    Apple can actually "track" every single iPhone in a jail broken or non jail broken state. This is well known. The 1 in 10 number is accurate - not conjecture.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    However, a security hole is a security hole, and evasi0n at its core totally defeats the entire userspace and kernel's security systems and allows for total root privileged access and unsigned code execution across the device.
    I need to play Devil's advocate here. If escalation to root privilege of arbitrary unsigned code is a security hole, then my Debian box and my iMac - and in fact any Unix system - all have huge security holes.

    We all accept the risks of installing third party software on our PCs and laptops. We'd never tolerate being sold an OS X system without our having access to root, including the ability to run any process with super-user privileges. Why should we accept Apple's position that, in the specific case of an iDevice, we're too stupid to be trusted with the keys to our own castle? Folks - if you're serious about security, consider hiring some armed guards; post them outside your house and instruct them not to let you in under any circumstances. Your house will be lame and not very useful, but really, really secure.

    In the post Steve Jobs era, I can think of only three reasons for Apple to be wanting to kill jailbreaks:

    1) To patch legitimate security holes.
    2) To prevent software piracy.
    3) To ensure a continued 30% share of any software sold for iDevices.

    Item 1) really doesn't apply to Evasi0n. If you don't use passcode locks and encrypted backups, you already have a security hole, whether you jailbreak or not.
    Item 2) could be addressed independently from the issue of unsigned code execution, but Apple has consistently made no effort to do so because, IMHO, their primary goal is item 3).

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    I need to play Devil's advocate here. If escalation to root privilege of arbitrary unsigned code is a security hole, then my Debian box and my iMac - and in fact any Unix system - all have huge security holes.

    We all accept the risks of installing third party software on our PCs and laptops. We'd never tolerate being sold an OS X system without our having access to root, including the ability to run any process with super-user privileges. Why should we accept Apple's position that, in the specific case of an iDevice, we're too stupid to be trusted with the keys to our own castle? Folks - if you're serious about security, consider hiring some armed guards; post them outside your house and instruct them not to let you in under any circumstances. Your house will be lame and not very useful, but really, really secure.

    In the post Steve Jobs era, I can think of only three reasons for Apple to be wanting to kill jailbreaks:

    1) To patch legitimate security holes.
    2) To prevent software piracy.
    3) To ensure a continued 30% share of any software sold for iDevices.

    Item 1) really doesn't apply to Evasi0n. If you don't use passcode locks and encrypted backups, you already have a security hole, whether you jailbreak or not.
    Item 2) could be addressed independently from the issue of unsigned code execution, but Apple has consistently made no effort to do so because, IMHO, their primary goal is item 3).
    You would think apple would either want a cut of the money from Cydia or realise that there is a place in the App Store for proper tweaks and themes!

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpySod View Post
    You would think apple would either want a cut of the money from Cydia or realise that there is a place in the App Store for proper tweaks and themes!
    Rumor is that some (even higher-up) folks at Apple do want to open up iOS further. There's no reason for them not to continue expanding their API. I wouldn't be surprised if we did one day see an Apple theme & tweak store.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •