+ Reply
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Evasi0n 1.4 Released With Support for iOS 6.1.2

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by JazJon So I actually did the jailbreak AFTER the full restore from iTunes. (and so far so good) I also restored all my Cydia apps & settings
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,491 Times in 4,303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post
    So I actually did the jailbreak AFTER the full restore from iTunes. (and so far so good)
    I also restored all my Cydia apps & settings via PKGbackup. I made sure to disable ALL other restore options PKGbackup offers and only restored the Cydia apps, and sources. Everything cydia related was restored, rebooted, and wham my phone is just like it was before!
    Things are zippy and I tested the heck out of everything with no problem so far.
    In the future, I'll try it the way you explained above though
    Glad PKGBackup restore worked for you. It was a nightmare for me - and I'm a veteran now to all this stuff. You probably had lesser Cydia stuff than I did. Or maybe I still run a tweak or two not ready for 6. I thought all was clean. And I've used PKGBackup flawlessly in the past. Don't know what happened this time. But I'm up and running and already after 5 hours of the phone being on, an hour of moderate usage, battery sits at 94%. So 6.1.2 seems to have fixed my Exchange calendar battery drain. Won't know til after full day's usage.

And to correct you on one thing - there a SEVERAL "Sticky" (ReadMe) threads on the forum about the restore process with a jailbreak. You didn't look very hard, bro.

Glad you're up and running.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 02-20-2013 at 06:31 AM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Liveitlive's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littlelisa63 View Post
    When I put SBSettings in my notification bit in settings I couldn't make or receive calls/messages as I lost my signal/network and had to restore
    Did you manage to solve your issue with it?
    If so could you please explain how you did it as I miss the SBSettings
    Thanks
    I personally havnt used SBsettings for yrs... I've enjoyed the ISX toggles, NCsettings (free) and Auxo. That is if the toggles are what your after

Thanks

And 4hrs usage 39%

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Well this is how I did it:

Back up via icloud in itunes. All your app settings are saved.
    DFU restore to 6.1.2
    Once it’s up and running, just set up as new ipad and shut down iTunes.
    Run and complete jailbreak process
    Open iTunes and it will detect a new ipad/iphone, select restore backup.

It restored all of my system settings, app settings/logins, as well as my corporate exchange tokens. The only thing is, you will have to re-download all of your 3rd party apps again. On the bright side, the positioning of the apps and any folders you created will be the same as it was before the upgrade.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoronaDelux View Post
    Well this is how I did it:

Back up via icloud in itunes. All your app settings are saved.
    DFU restore to 6.1.2
    Once itís up and running, just set up as new ipad and shut down iTunes.
    Run and complete jailbreak process
    Open iTunes and it will detect a new ipad/iphone, select restore backup.

It restored all of my system settings, app settings/logins, as well as my corporate exchange tokens. The only thing is, you will have to re-download all of your 3rd party apps again. On the bright side, the positioning of the apps and any folders you created will be the same as it was before the upgrade.
    Great! Glad you're up and running again! There's a free app called OpenBackup which will allow you to save all your 3rd party Cydia tweaks as .deb files for easy, all at once, return after a re-jailbreak. Big timesaver - no resprings between each downloaded Cydia app. Though I knew of the quick restore potential of .deb files and even wrote a whole tutorial thread about using them - I was unaware until yesterday of a tweak called OpenBackup that allows you to call them from Cydia and store them on your phone/computer for later easy restore. Who knew?! Love finding new time saving tweaks!

Thanks
    Thanked 14,805 Times in 6,884 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Great! Glad you're up and running again! There's a free app called OpenBackup which will allow you to save all your 3rd party Cydia tweaks as .deb files for easy, all at once, return after a re-jailbreak. Big timesaver - no resprings between each downloaded Cydia app. Though I knew of the quick restore potential of .deb files and even wrote a whole tutorial thread about using them - I was unaware until yesterday of a tweak called OpenBackup that allows you to call them from Cydia and store them on your phone/computer for later easy restore. Who knew?! Love finding new time saving tweaks!
    Openbackup is great. Made by one of our own here too Zokunei (frequents the random chat thread). I used it last night to backup everything. Restoring it all right now. I told myself I didn't have to update to 6.1.2. I lasted 1 night lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Openbackup is great. Made by one of our own here too Zokunei (frequents the random chat thread). I used it last night to backup everything. Restoring it all right now. I told myself I didn't have to update to 6.1.2. I lasted 1 night lol.
    Yeah. I'm blown away by this tweak. On the night before jailbreak drop why didn't you tell me about it, bro? The .deb. auto download feature would have saved me a LOT of time. Or do you use its basic backup and restore feature? I will update my thread with info about this wonderful tweak.

And I KNEW you wouldn't be able stay on 6.1.

Thanks

Yeah. I'm blown away by this tweak. On the night before jailbreak drop why didn't you tell me about it, bro? The .deb. auto download feature would have saved me a LOT of time. Or do you use its basic backup and restore feature? I will update my thread with info about this wonderful tweak.

And I KNEW you wouldn't be able stay on 6.1.
    I had never actually used it then so didn't really know what it was capable of. Last night was the first time I actually tried it. I remember Zok testing it when he first made it, it was just command line then, this was like a year or two ago. I had no idea he had come so far with it until I checked it out last night.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I can't confirm your report...I used PkgBackup a few times in the past, used it after I updated my 4S to 6.1.1, and used it again today to get my 5, 4S and iPad4 to 6.1.2. 0 problems, everything perfectly restored on all 3 devices, and I'm speaking of about 100 elements (tweaks, dependencies and libraries). Nothing really special...backupped in iTunes, restored device in iTunes, restored previous backup, synced all previously installed AppStore apps, jailbroke, installed PkgBackup and restored previously saved backup there. Only issue was BigBoss repository still being as slow as it can, 5 minutes to download 3MB tweaks, almost 1 full minute for a simple SBSettings toggle, that's abysmal. But no crashes or whatever after the device rebooted. Must be some tweak you have causing conflicts.

I just had a most HORRIBLE experience with PKGBackup. It doesn't say in Cydia that its iOS6 ready. And I guess it's not. Boot loop disaster after I restored from a PKGBackup restore. BEWARE!! The only thing that worked was - DFU Restore--> Jailbreak 1.4--> Restore from Backup to get all apps and data and chat sessions back / photos.. THEN load Cydia stuff one by one dude. Trust me!! I have lots of Cydia tweaks. Only took me 20 minutes in Cydia to get it all back. 'twas a NIGHTMARE using PKG. Don't do it!! Unless you want to totally waste your time.

Don't forget to back up Themes and iWidgets and all the rest to your computer with iFunBox before restoring. If PKG worked as it has in the past - it's a huge timesaver. But not in 6.

Consider yourself warned.
    Last edited by Fafner1976; 02-20-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I can not install 6.1 nor 6.1.2 on DFU , it says firmware is not compatible.
    This is first time I see this , it puzzles me as I have done plenty of restores on ios devices and this is happening after doing a jailbreak on iphone5
    I guess my phone is having issues after jailbreak that makes itunes think ipsw i'm trying to use is not compatible.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Personally, I'm JBing iDevices since the first iPhone and iOS1, and always restored simply clicking on "Restore" in iTunes with the iDevice just turned on. Never sent the iDevice in DFU mode before restoring, never configured the iDevice as new after restore (just restored from backup). Never had one single issue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zenj View Post
    This is first time I see this , it puzzles me as I have done plenty of restores on ios devices and this is happening after doing a jailbreak on iphone5
    I guess my phone is having issues after jailbreak that makes itunes think ipsw i'm trying to use is not compatible.
    Sounds like you have the wrong 6.1.2 firmware for your iPhone 5. There are two, iPhone5,1 and iPhone 5,2.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Try RecoveryMode using TinyUmbrella, that should fix it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fafner1976 View Post
    Personally, I'm JBing iDevices since the first iPhone and iOS1, and always restored simply clicking on "Restore" in iTunes with the iDevice just turned on. Never sent the iDevice in DFU mode before restoring, never configured the iDevice as new after restore (just restored from backup). Never had one single issue.
    Me either. DFU IS the cleanest way and using no iTunes restore from backup can prevent leftover problem files from being put back on your phone. But the chances of that happening are so very small as to be non-existent. I too have never had an issue. One thing that DID slip thru a Restore From Backup was an upgrade! My STOCK iPhone 5 showed RAM status in the status bar! Usually something only attainable with a jailbreak.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just had a most HORRIBLE experience with PKGBackup. It doesn't say in Cydia that its iOS6 ready. And I guess it's not. Boot loop disaster after I restored from a PKGBackup restore. BEWARE!! The only thing that worked was - DFU Restore--> Jailbreak 1.4--> Restore from Backup to get all apps and data and chat sessions back / photos.. THEN load Cydia stuff one by one dude. Trust me!! I have lots of Cydia tweaks. Only took me 20 minutes in Cydia to get it all back. 'twas a NIGHTMARE using PKG. Don't do it!! Unless you want to totally waste your time.

Don't forget to back up Themes and iWidgets and all the rest to your computer with iFunBox before restoring. If PKG worked as it has in the past - it's a huge timesaver. But not in 6.

Consider yourself warned.
    Sorry to hear of your problem, but if you were using the most recent version of PKGbackup, I doubt that was your problem. What version of PKGbackup were you using? 5.3.2 has been out for weeks, and that most certainly supports ios6. Check the app's changelog on cydia, IIRC IOS 6 support was added in 5.1.9.

What OS were you upgrading from? If you were upgrading from ios5, and you didn't check to see which apps were compatible beforehand, and how incompatible apps behave (so you could omit them from a restore) then the problem is not the app, but the user. Did you check this list? iOS 6 cydia tweaks compatibility list

PKGbackup doesn't actually back up your tweaks from Cydia, it saves the list of them, and the real benefit over say, xbackup which does the same thing, is that it backs up data from your app store apps that itunes doesn't, so you come out better than just using itunes. Also, if the backup was saved to dropbox OK, and PKGbackup brought the restore back to your phone, and then there were problems, the problem is not the backup program, but something it put on. It doesn't corrupt files on restore as far as I can see, and I used it to upgrade from an iphone 4 to 5 just last week. And I have over 100 things from cydia installed. The only problems I had, since I didn't install anything that was incompatible in the initial restore (A bunch of things I had weren't in the list at the time I upgraded, so I installed them sequentially a couple at a time to know where incompatibilities arose), was with things that no longer were in cydia, and those I had to find on the 4 and transfer manually if I wanted them. I ended up doing that with just 4 items.

IF you don't think this was the problem, you might try communicating with the developer, he's quite responsive to bug and problem reports.

Anyway, glad to hear you ended up OK.
    Mark

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by icebox93 View Post
    Sorry to hear of your problem, but if you were using the most recent version of PKGbackup, I doubt that was your problem.
    Hey Mark! Welcome to the forum. I can see you're new here. I've been here quite a while and been around iPhone and jailbreaking since iPhone 2G. Sounds like you have too - even though you're new here. Most of what you share below is stuff I've known for a long time and is usually what I'm saying to someone in distress - like "I" was last night. PKGBackup has generally worked great for me through the years - except last night. Very weird.
    What version of PKGbackup were you using? 5.3.2 has been out for weeks, and that most certainly supports ios6. Check the app's changelog on cydia, IIRC IOS 6 support was added in 5.1.9.
    It was indeed 5.3.2 I was using. So that's not it.

What OS were you upgrading from?
    6.1 - 6.1.2
    If you were upgrading from ios5, and you didn't check to see which apps were compatible beforehand, and how incompatible apps behave (so you could omit them from a restore) then the problem is not the app, but the user. Did you check this list? iOS 6 cydia tweaks compatibility list
    Yeah that's all noob stuff you're talking about there. I know my way around all those problems - though thanks for the update.

PKGbackup doesn't actually back up your tweaks from Cydia, it saves the list of them, and the real benefit over say, xbackup which does the same thing, is that it backs up data from your app store apps that itunes doesn't, so you come out better than just using itunes. Also, if the backup was saved to dropbox OK, and PKGbackup brought the restore back to your phone, and then there were problems, the problem is not the backup program, but something it put on. It doesn't corrupt files on restore as far as I can see, and I used it to upgrade from an iphone 4 to 5 just last week. And I have over 100 things from cydia installed. The only problems I had, since I didn't install anything that was incompatible in the initial restore (A bunch of things I had weren't in the list at the time I upgraded, so I installed them sequentially a couple at a time to know where incompatibilities arose), was with things that no longer were in cydia, and those I had to find on the 4 and transfer manually if I wanted them. I ended up doing that with just 4 items.
    Yep, thanks. That's still all noob stuff. I'm, thanks to a lot of trial and error and help of a lot of people here and at other forums, way past that. But I appreciate your great explanation. Sometimes when I'm on a customer service phone call with the music software companies whose software I use daily in my work - I tell the rep on the phone, "with due respect, please skip the whole first two pages of your troubleshooting notes - there as I'm a 'power user' and know what you're going to ask me!". . They invariably go - "Oh okay.." what's youre problem then. I'm intimately aware of how PKGBackip works and calls for fresh data from Cydia and stores and restores its data.

So - since you have good experience - let's jump to the 'hard stuff'. What was different this time is that when I re-jailbroke my phone - got my iTunes stuff all back on the phone - then it was time to go to PKGBackup and use my most recent backup which was right where I left it at Dropbox before restoring the phone to factory. GREAT! It's still there! Just like it should be. But when I clicked on VIEW RESTORE - you know where you see what packages, 'how many of them' are stored -in that window instead of saying 87 of 87 to restore - it said 43 of 87!!!????!!! Now HOW could that be?? The only tweak on my phone at that point was PKGBackUp. Now I know PKG has a number of dependency files that were already installed when I installed PKG in the first place. But there are maybe 8 or 9 depenedency files. PKG's restore window was telling me it only needed to restore 43 of 87. How did 40 files get on my phone already??? There was no way for me to go in and hard-checkmark all 87 - and part of me thinks that's where things went 'south', as they say. I don't know if you remember now - but when you looked at your VIEW RESTORE - it probably said ALL 100 needed to be restored - right? Vital files did not get restored from my DropBox backup - and I think therein laid the problem last night which took me from 10:30Pm to 3am to deal with. Any thoughts, Mark? Or anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Fafner1976 View Post
    Must be some tweak you have causing conflicts.
    No. If there were conflicts - they would have been causing me problems before the restore as well. I just went from 6.1 to 6.1.2. A very small incremental jump in iOS. It's not a tweak conflict. My guess is something got corrupted in my DropBox backup file itself - such that PKGBackup only thought, after a fresh restore, that there were only 44 of my 87 tweaks to reinstall and only 1 of my 4 preference files and 6 of my 10 Springboard files. All of that is NOT right - from my past experience with PKG. Well I will still make a new PKG backup of what I have now AND if I ever want to restore - I'll give it one more shot. Twas a nightmare this time. It's always been smooth as silk - as long as I don't use it after a major iOS upgrade when you can never know what tweaks are updated.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 02-20-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Sounds like you have the wrong 6.1.2 firmware for your iPhone 5. There are two, iPhone5,1 and iPhone 5,2.
    this is the firmware that I have for my iPhone 5 GSM

iPhone5,2_6.1.2_10B146_Restore.ipsw

can anyone can confirm if this is wrong one or not !

Thanks

this is the firmware that I have for my iPhone 5 GSM

iPhone5,2_6.1.2_10B146_Restore.ipsw

can anyone can confirm if this is wrong one or not !
    Download the 5,1 version and try that. Or just get itunes to download the right one automatically.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ibiggy View Post
    What about 11.0.2 iTunes? is it safe to update to this yet? Or is it best left alone for now?
    It has been confirmed safe to update to iTunes 11.0.2.
    Julcello692

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

so i went to 6.1.2 on an iphone 4s but now cydia self closes immediately

+ Reply
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast