+ Reply
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Evasi0n 1.4 Released With Support for iOS 6.1.2

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I'm about to attempt upgrading from 6.1 to 6.1.2 using PKGbackup PKGBACKUP - User Guide I'm backing up to both iCloud & manual local iTunes backup just in case. I'll
    My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm about to attempt upgrading from 6.1 to 6.1.2 using PKGbackup
    PKGBACKUP - User Guide

I'm backing up to both iCloud & manual local iTunes backup just in case.

I'll do the DFU restore/upgrade to 6.1.2, I'll then restore my standard apps/data via either iCloud or iTunes. I'll try iTunes, but last time I used iTunes to restore my data and apps, the icons were ALL over the place. (lost their location) iCloud restores seem to go smoother.

Once I'm happy things are looking normal, I'll jailbreak once again. I'll then use PKGbackup to restore my Cydia stuff.

PKGbackup seems to backup ALL my apps (even local Apple AppStore data) so as a worst case scenerio I guess I will only Jailbreak the Clean Vanilla restored iPhone 5. It backs it all up to my DropBox cloud too nicely. You can do a selective restore of what you want

To be honest I'm still a bit confused on what the best practice here is, I'll just give it a go and see what works. I have multiple backups all over and can try again as needed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tario70's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post
    To be honest I'm still a bit confused on what the best practice here is, I'll just give it a go and see what works. I have multiple backups all over and can try again as needed.
    Honestly, the "Best Practice" is really to DFU Restore > Setup the iPhone as New > Then Jailbreak > then re-setup your apps, folders, & multimedia via syncing.

Yes, you're starting completely from scratch, yes I realize that many consider this a PITA, but it is the "Best" way. Can you do it other ways? Yes, but the absolute "Best" way is the way I just described (& the way I do my phone with each update & jailbreak).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tario70 For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (02-20-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I;m told my firmware is not compatible while i have downloaded the right ipsw file, is anybody else getting problems updating to 6.1.2 on iphone 5 ?

I am doing via DFU

Thanks
    Thanked 5,522 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zenj View Post
    I;m told my firmware is not compatible while i have downloaded the right ipsw file, is anybody else getting problems updating to 6.1.2 on iphone 5 ?

I am doing via DFU
    Have u been mucking in the phone? Deleting system files/caches?
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey so i jump the gun and just click restore/update set as new phone. did not do a DFU restore. AM i ******? eveything seem to be fine right now. Can someone help me out here. do i redo it ? or just keep it as it now?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tario70 View Post
    Honestly, the "Best Practice" is really to DFU Restore > Setup the iPhone as New > Then Jailbreak > then re-setup your apps, folders, & multimedia via syncing.

Yes, you're starting completely from scratch, yes I realize that many consider this a PITA, but it is the "Best" way. Can you do it other ways? Yes, but the absolute "Best" way is the way I just described (& the way I do my phone with each update & jailbreak).
    The thing is, I've been an iPhone user for so many years, I'm not about to lose all my AppStore settings/data just for JailBreak.

Ok now I know trying to keep all AppStore data/settings is not "best" practice, but it seemed ok the past week on 6.1 (so I'll try it again on 6.1.2)

I guess since PKGbackup backs up ALL my AppStore data/settings, I could go that route. (clean restore, jailbreak, restore app data via PKGbackup, then reinstall those apps one at a time via AppStore) The next biggest pain is getting on my groups I created for the many apps I have organized once again.

Decisions Decisions, Trial Error here I go. I noticed the Official Evati0n instructions make no mention of best practice DFU restore.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I noticed the Official Evati0n instructions make no mention of best practice DFU restore.
    Im not following you, how many DFU's restores are out there? So far I only know one

Thanks
    Thanked 8,711 Times in 4,399 Posts

The thing is, I've been an iPhone user for so many years, I'm not about to lose all my AppStore settings/data just for JailBreak.

Ok now I know trying to keep all AppStore data/settings is not "best" practice, but it seemed ok the past week on 6.1 (so I'll try it again on 6.1.2)

I guess since PKGbackup backs up ALL my AppStore data/settings, I could go that route. (clean restore, jailbreak, restore app data via PKGbackup, then reinstall those apps one at a time via AppStore) The next biggest pain is getting on my groups I created for the many apps I have organized once again.

Decisions Decisions, Trial Error here I go. I noticed the Official Evati0n instructions make no mention of best practice DFU restore.
    I just had a most HORRIBLE experience with PKGBackup. It doesn't say in Cydia that its iOS6 ready. And I guess it's not. Boot loop disaster after I restored from a PKGBackup restore. BEWARE!! The only thing that worked was - DFU Restore--> Jailbreak 1.4--> Restore from Backup to get all apps and data and chat sessions back / photos.. THEN load Cydia stuff one by one dude. Trust me!! I have lots of Cydia tweaks. Only took me 20 minutes in Cydia to get it all back. 'twas a NIGHTMARE using PKG. Don't do it!! Unless you want to totally waste your time.

Don't forget to back up Themes and iWidgets and all the rest to your computer with iFunBox before restoring. If PKG worked as it has in the past - it's a huge timesaver. But not in 6.

Consider yourself warned.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

oscarf (02-20-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I have tried different cables and different ports of USB , even restarted both my mac and iphone 5 and gone to DFU but still it says the firmware is not compatible , why is this so ?

this is the link of the file I downloaded and its about 1.04GB

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6.1/091...6_Restore.ipsw

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    Have u been mucking in the phone? Deleting system files/caches?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by towboattrash34 View Post
    mine will go to 45 to 35% in 3 to 4hrs...just looking at forums... that is way too much..
    Do you have 3G Unrestrictor installed? 3GU causes a huge battery drain on my iphone5 even if it's off

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zenj View Post
    I have tried different cables and different ports of USB , even restarted both my mac and iphone 5 and gone to DFU but still it says the firmware is not compatible , why is this so ?

this is the link of the file I downloaded and its about 1.04GB

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6.1/091...6_Restore.ipsw
    Try again with the 6.1.1 and then upgrade, or download 6.1.2 from a different source, there are websites that host the official file or have the link for the file, maybe your is corrupted.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pakitos View Post
    Im not following you, how many DFU's restores are out there? So far I only know one
    I meant, the readme that comes with Evasi0n does't say we should blow the phone away to barebones with no AppStore or AppData installed. The instructions say to make sure you back things up, and then goes right into jainbreaking. (no mention of having to do a vanilla DFU based recovery)

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    I just had a most HORRIBLE experience with PKGBackup. It doesn't say in Cydia that its iOS6 ready. And I guess it's not. Boot loop disaster after I restored from a PKGBackup restore. BEWARE!! The only thing that worked was - DFU Restore--> Jailbreak 1.4--> Restore from Backup to get all apps and data and chat sessions back / photos.. THEN load Cydia stuff one by one dude. Trust me!! I have lots of Cydia tweaks. Only took me 20 minutes in Cydia to get it all back. 'twas a NIGHTMARE using PKG. Don't do it!! Unless you want to totally waste your time.

Don't forget to back up Themes and iWidgets and all the rest to your computer with iFunBox before restoring. If PKG worked as it has in the past - it's a huge timesaver. But not in 6.

Consider yourself warned.
    Ok maybe I won't try it then. (was just about to before reading replies here one last time)

Hmmm so are you saying we can still restore our AppStore Apps/data AFTER we jailbreak??? I thought once you do any type of backup restore you lose Cydia. (help me understand) If this is true, then it's not a big deal I'll be able to keep everything, just didn't know. People were saying you had to start over from scratch and save nothing.

If not, I guess I need to jailbreak AFTER the AppStore/Data restore via iTunes (like I usually do, with all jailbreaks)

I'd rather do what's best though for maximum stability so please chime in and let's get this cleared up for me and everyone else
    Last edited by JazJon; 02-20-2013 at 02:17 AM.

Thanks

Everything is saved in your local or iCloud backup, so far you only need to sync the apps back to your phone (mines used to autodownlaod with iCloud) and for Cydia you need to manually download every tweak you had but if it had custom settings they will be added from the backups.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    Still trying to recover from broken Cydia after jb iphone 5.
    Anyone else get this?

Cydia crashes on launch.
    Guess I need to restore and re-jb?
    Did you try rebooting the phone?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pakitos View Post
    Try again with the 6.1.1 and then upgrade, or download 6.1.2 from a different source, there are websites that host the official file or have the link for the file, maybe your is corrupted.
    i have downloaded files from felixbruns and also another one from Redmond Pie , I get same errors.

This has never happened before
    Last edited by zenj; 02-20-2013 at 03:55 AM.

Thanks

Was the problem with the weather app fixed, mine still crashes and i havent been following much on the cause

6.1 iphone 4s

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,062 Times in 4,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marxus79 View Post
    Was the problem with the weather app fixed, mine still crashes and i havent been following much on the cause

6.1 iphone 4s
    Yes there was a fix but if you still have app sync it won't work.

Thanks

Woot! Donating another $100 when I get home. GWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN EVASI0N CRU!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,711 Times in 4,399 Posts

Ok maybe I won't try it then. (was just about to before reading replies here one last time)

Hmmm so are you saying we can still restore our AppStore Apps/data AFTER we jailbreak??? I thought once you do any type of backup restore you lose Cydia. (help me understand) If this is true, then it's not a big deal I'll be able to keep everything, just didn't know. People were saying you had to start over from scratch and save nothing.

If not, I guess I need to jailbreak AFTER the AppStore/Data restore via iTunes (like I usually do, with all jailbreaks)

I'd rather do what's best though for maximum stability so please chime in and let's get this cleared up for me and everyone else
    Your apps and data are saved in an iTunes backup. Jailbreak right after system restore - then after jailbreak do a restore backup from iTunes to get back your apps and apps data. Some will say little bad things can saved in an iTunes backup so you should add apps back manually from within your iTunes sync window rather than do a restore back up. But then you 'rightly ask' "where's my app data" to which you rarely get a good answer around here. Getting your app data back is practically impossible without an involved super tech-ey step that ill leave others to explain. I personally have done iTunes restore from backups since iPhone 2G with no problems.
    Steps:
    Restore to new firmware
    Jailbreak (do it at this point because jail breaking a nearly empty phone is faster.)
    Restore from iTunes backup (last one that saved all your stuff)(you will NOT lose Cydia)
    Reload Cydia stuff one by one
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

bisayakid07 (02-20-2013)

Thanks

Your apps and data are saved in an iTunes backup. Jailbreak right after system restore - then after jailbreak do a restore backup from iTunes to get back your apps and apps data. Some will say little bad things can saved in an iTunes backup so you should add apps back manually from within your iTunes sync window rather than do a restore back up. But then you 'rightly ask' "where's my app data" to which you rarely get a good answer around here. Getting your app data back is practically impossible without an involved super tech-ey step that ill leave others to explain. I personally have done iTunes restore from backups since iPhone 2G with no problems.
    Steps:
    • Restore to new firmware
    • Jailbreak (do it at this point because jail breaking a nearly empty phone is faster.)
    • Restore from iTunes backup (last one that saved all your stuff)(you will NOT lose Cydia)
    • Reload Cydia stuff one by one

There we go folks, why is this kind of info not ever talked about? (or at least in the Readme) This makes sense now instead of letting people assume on their own thanks.

So I actually did the jailbreak AFTER the full restore from iTunes. (and so far so good)
    I also restored all my Cydia apps & settings via PKGbackup. I made sure to disable ALL other restore options PKGbackup offers and only restored the Cydia apps, and sources. Everything cydia related was restored, rebooted, and wham my phone is just like it was before!

Things are zippy and I tested the heck out of everything with no problem so far.

In the future, I'll try it the way you explained above though

Add repo called:
    rpetri.ch repo

Download tweak called "RespringCache Fix"
    I just tried this to help keep things clean. Thanks for the reminder (saw the article a few days ago)
    Last edited by JazJon; 02-20-2013 at 06:13 AM.

+ Reply
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast