+ Reply
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Evasi0n 1.4 Released With Support for iOS 6.1.2

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Simon The fact that he says we only respring when jail broken is irrelevant. There is no need to respring when stock. Of course not. But when
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,506 Times in 4,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    The fact that he says we only respring when jail broken is irrelevant. There is no need to respring when stock.
    Of course not. But when you assign the problem to iOS - then it would present itself in stock too, no? I agree there's an interaction between iOS6 cache clear protocols and what the respring tweaks are doing. With King's input - I may now agree it's not Evasi0n. Maybe. Not sure. All I know is I never lost a single battery stat jail broken since 4.2.1. This is a new problem for the vast majority of us. I'm glad the Activator workaround is working for everything but a Winterboard respring.
    And I'll do some more reading as you suggest. I'm interested to find out why I've never experienced it before iOS6.

I agree. The majority of traffic on this site is the theme sections. Just not 90%.
    Oh good. We agree. Simon, look up in an American idiom dictionary what the term "90% of.." means. It simply is an expression that means "the vast majority". Don't go all literal on me, bro.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 03-02-2013 at 09:21 PM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks
    Thanked 14,819 Times in 6,890 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post

Oh good. We agree. Simon, look up in an American idiom dictionary what the term "90% of.." means. It simply is an expression that means "the vast majority". Don't go all literal on me, bro.
    I just hate percentages

Of course not. But when you assign the problem to iOS - then it would present itself in stock too, no? I agree there's an interaction between iOS6 cache clear protocols and what the respring tweaks are doing. With King's input - I may now agree it's not Evasi0n. Maybe. Not sure. All I know is I never lost a single battery stat jail broken since 4.2.1. This is a new problem for the vast majority of us. I'm glad the Activator workaround is working for everything but a Winterboard respring.
    One test we could do is try some of the methods to respring on a stock device and see what happens to the usage. I'm gonna try, will report back.

Thanks

I just hate percentages

One test we could do is try some of the methods to respring on a stock device and see what happens to the usage. I'm gonna try, will report back.
    Fantastic. I look forward to hearing the results. If it IS an iOS introduced thing - you can bet Apple will fix it for us then.

Thanks

Fantastic. I look forward to hearing the results. If it IS an iOS introduced thing - you can bet Apple will fix it for us then.
    Will also test this on a iPhone 2G I have on 3.1.3 jailbroken and a iPhone 3G I have on 4.2.1 jailbroken and see what resprings do there.

Thanks

Will also test this on a iPhone 2G I have on 3.1.3 jailbroken and a iPhone 3G I have on 4.2.1 jailbroken and see what resprings do there.
    Cool. BeddyBy for me now. Early day tomorrow. Check ur results on the morrow, bro. Peace.

Thanks

First tests in. Tested with iPod Touch 5G on 6.1.2 no jailbreak.
    Used stifle stand to hide newstand in a folder. This allows me to open that folder, click newstand which triggers a respring with no jailbreak required.
    Findings:
    1: Usage stats went from 4 minutes standby 1 minute usage to - standby and -usage after the respring. Proof that the jailbreak is not the cause of the battery usage details getting wiped out after a respring.
    2: Interestingly the little dimming bug we have found when respringing also happened while respringing on this non-jailbroken device. So that is another "bug" we can say is not caused by the jailbreak.

Working on the older firmware resprings now, going is SLOW with them lol, I don't know how we used to use these old devices sometimes.

Results for iPhone 2G:
    Jailbroken on 3.1.3. Only winterboard installed.
    Before winterboard respring: Usage was normal, showed a few minutes.
    After respring: Usage stats both read -
    So on 3.1.3 this same battery usage "bug" is present.

Results for iPhone 3G:
    jailbroken on 4.2.1 only winterboard installed.
    Before respring battery usage stats normal, showed a few minutes
    After respring battery usage stats read -
    So on 4.2.1 the same battery usage "bug" is present.

I will say that on 3.1.3 I tried a sbsettings respring first and the usage stats were not affected. So this leads me to not all resprings are created equally. There are probably a few different methods of respringing that has been used over the years, obviously at least one of these cause battery usage to crap out. What could explain why you didn't see this "bug" until recently is Saurik may have changed the method Winterboard uses to respring, and many others may have followed suit. All I know is using the winterboard respring affects the battery percentage the same on firmwares 3.1.3 - 6.1.2.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-02-2013), mgmm1 (03-05-2013), oscarf (03-03-2013)

Thanks

Found this: http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Respring
    It's a little outdated (2010) but you can see 2 different methods of respringing here. Each could affect things differently. Now there may be more than just these 2 methods. So what we need to figure out is which methods of respring cause the usage "bug" and which don't. And if simply changing the ones that do is possible or not or are they using that method of respringing for a reason.

Thanks

Found this: http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Respring
    It's a little outdated (2010) but you can see 2 different methods of respringing here. Each could affect things differently. Now there may be more than just these 2 methods. So what we need to figure out is which methods of respring cause the usage "bug" and which don't. And if simply changing the ones that do is possible or not or are they using that method of respringing for a reason.
    Thank you, Simon. I'll keep reading. Like King expressed it seems more and more like developers need to change how respring works in their apps.

Thanks

Thank you, Simon. I'll keep reading. Like King expressed it seems more and more like developers need to change how respring works in their apps.
    Yup, seems that way. Unless they are having to use a specific type of respring for a reason.

Thanks

Yup, seems that way. Unless they are having to use a specific type of respring for a reason.
    Yes, agreed. I stand corrected in my rant about it being an evasi0n problem. Living and learning. :-) iOS 6 seems to have changed a lot of the way certain basic functionalities of iPhone work. So the tweaks that the devs have developed in the past seem to be needing a lot more rewriting of the code this time. For example, jitteriness in the weather animations, brightness glitch after respring, battery stats gone after respring, et cetera.

And are you noticing that simple scrolling up and down in a window like the settings menu is just jittery itself as wel after being jailbroken?

And why is it that after I've been on the phone for a while when I take the phone off my face and try to hang up the hangup button doesn't work at all. It's like the whole screen is dead. I've experienced that through two jailbreaks now. Same thing happened in 5.1.1 and on a different phone. So I know it's iOS related.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

Simon (03-03-2013)

Thanks

That brightness glitch happened on my iPod touch stock after the respring. I was surprised by that. It looks like it is more changes apple has made then what the jailbreak devs have done that is causing these issues. I guess the devs will just have to find ways to compensate for what apple has done. Or we just live with it. Been way worse in the past. I remember the 1.1.2 jailbreak, a bug in apples handling of phone numbers caused the phone app to crash when trying to dial a number if you Weren't using the phone on a official carrier. That was a case of a jailbreak that allowed people to actually fix an issue that apple had itself with the iPhone. I had a real tough time getting the number format fixed for the phone app just so I could use my phone. A little brightness and usage bug seems pretty trivial compared to that lol.

I haven't noticed any jitteryness in the settings app. I probably don't have as many things installed as you though.

That phone hanging thing after a call has happened to me a few times over the years with different phones, even when not jail broken. Just a phone app bug.

Thanks

Now here's some good battery specs finally. I think I'm getting things fine tuned for performance. This was a medium to medium heavy use day.
    PUSH off
    No BLUEtooth
    Sensible Location Services
    Sensible Notifications
    Brightness 55%. auto on

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

oscarf (03-07-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone mgmm1's Avatar
    Thanks

@Simon/@WF,

You guys crack me up. I don't understand half the stuff you're talking about but am enjoying the conversation.

I wish their was a fix for the battery usage disappearing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgmm1 View Post
    @Simon/@WF,

You guys crack me up. I don't understand half the stuff you're talking about but am enjoying the conversation.

I wish their was a fix for the battery usage disappearing.
    Who is WF?

Thanks

Who is WF?
    Meant...NewdestinyX

Thanks

Who is WF?
    He was reading your avatar.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 779 Posts

Who is WF?
    Wells Fargo!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Wells Fargo!
    Lol!! Ah yes!!

Thanks

He was reading your avatar.
    Yep, uh-huh. That's what I did. Long hours at work really suck.

So...anyone using any battery saving apps like BatteryDoctorPro or Battery Magic when charging their phones? I was but hadn't noticed anything different. I recently turned off Locations until I need it and changed getting email from fetch to manual and I noticed some improvement. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get any battery usage readings after charging my phone even without any respring. I charged to 100% around 4pm yesterday and did not have to respring since then. At around 7:00 am this morning I check the battery usage and nothing shows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Evasi0n 1.4 Released With Support for iOS 6.1.2-iphone-battery-screen.png  

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgmm1 View Post
    Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get any battery usage readings after charging my phone even without any respring. I charged to 100% around 4pm yesterday and did not have to respring since then. At around 7:00 am this morning I check the battery usage and nothing shows.
    That's really odd. Even from 75% back to full charge always gets me back battery stats until I respring or reboot - then gone. But not right after a charge. I get stats every time. Weird.